OCCRA
Go to Post Remember those two words people. Gracious Professionalism. - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Brian Rozmierski
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute
[FRC Blog] 2018 Beta Testing and 2017 Usage Reporting

From: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...sage-reporting

Quote:
2018 Beta Testing and 2017 Usage Reporting
Written by Kevin O'Connor, FIRST Robotics Competition, Robotics Engineer

Beta Testing

This year we are once again looking for 90 teams, 30 for each software language, to help us test the 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition software. A small number of teams have been invited to bypass the application process based on past performance in Beta testing. Most of the spots are still up for grabs, though, so make sure to fill out the application found here by Sunday, September 24th, if you are interested. Beta teams will be asked to upgrade their 2017 robots to the 2018 software, perform some specific tests with any significant changes or new tools, and help educate other teams about the changes for 2018. Beta Testing will begin approximately the 2nd 3rd week of October and each task will have specific deadlines through approximately the end of November. Teams may continue to test through Kickoff, but software starts to lock in early December so testing done in December may not be done in time to fix any bugs discovered.

2017 Usage Reporting

One of the under-the-hood features of the FRC Control System software is a system called Usage Reporting. This system tracks what WPILib objects are created in each team's code and reports the data back to FMS when the robot is connected to the field. This data helps FIRST and our Suppliers understand how teams are using the Control System which can give us insight into things such as adoption of new features or usage of legacy classes.

Here are a few numbers from the data that teams may find interesting:

The total number of motor controllers used on 2017 robots

The total number of USB input devices used to control those motors

Total Encoders used to get feedback from those motors

The number of teams that used pneumatics (with the PCM) on their 2017 robot

The number of Digital Outputs used to control non-actuators (lights, sensors, etc.) on 2017 robots

Number of teams programming in Python

The number of Analog Outputs used to control non-actuators (sounds, lights, etc.) on 2017 robots
The complete processed data set can be found here.

A few notes on this data:
  • The data has been semi-anonymized. Team numbers have been replaced with rookie years and the data has been resorted so teams are not in order by team number.
  • We can only track the objects teams create in code. If you create extra motor controllers that aren't on your robot3, they will still be captured by this system. If you create motor controller objects of the wrong type, that wrong type will be captured by this system.
  • Counted objects and TRUE/FALSE show the largest number of any given object used in any one match (i.e. if a Robot had 2 Encoders in match 1 and 3 Encoders in match 7, 3 will be reported). Language and Framework report what was used in the last recorded match.
  • Some objects naturally result in double counting (Encoders use Digital Inputs)

1 Only includes encoders plugged directly into the roboRIO

2 Compressor may not show for C++ and Java teams that didn't use the Compressor object. Counting the # of teams that had > 1 Solenoids is a more accurate count of teams using pneumatics.

3 Example: A handful of teams report more than 16 motor controllers which would be awfully tough with only 16 channels on the PDP.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:39 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] 2018 Beta Testing and 2017 Usage Reporting

Big brother is always watching
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

When they uploaded this document, they put it at the same url as the one they linked to in the blog last year. Is the 2016 report still available anywhere?

Last edited by Nate Laverdure : 09-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM
AKA: Guy
FRC #3339 (BumbleBee)

Rookie Year: 2012
GuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Laverdure View Post
When they uploaded this document, they put it at the same url as the one from last year. Is the 2016 report still available anywhere?
I went to my downloads folder to check if I had it,
I downloaded the 2016 report back in 29/7 but it has the same data as the new one.

When looking at the properties of the 2017 report it says 'Content created: 31/05/2016'.
So I guess the link hasn't updated yet.
Curie Sub-Division Champions with 694, 379 & 1511 (2016)
2014-2015 - Team Captain & Head of Programming Crew
Carson Sub-Division Champions with 1325, 20 & 1711 (2015)
First Ever Israeli Team on Einstein (2015)
2012-2013 - Member & Head of Programming Crew
Israel Engineering Inspiration Award Winners (2013)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM
AKA: inkling16
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyM142 View Post
I went to my downloads folder to check if I had it,
I downloaded the 2016 report back in 29/7 but it has the same data as the new one.

When looking at the properties of the 2017 report it says 'Content created: 31/05/2016'.
So I guess the link hasn't updated yet.
That is probably why there are no 2017 rookies in this data set.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like FIRST fixed the bad link in the original blog. Here's the updated link.

Edit: 3946 is row 1553 this year, based on rookie year, language, infrastructure, 4+ CANTalons, 1+Talon, 1+Analog Input, 1+Encoder (direct). But...we didn't have three joysticks or use arcade this year??

Edit2: Three joysticks is because we used two flight sticks as a primary and a single xBox as a secondary, and put all three in the code. I couldn't find arcade drive code anywhere on our 2017 competition GitHub; it must have been something we used in the last match but never synced to the repository.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 09-14-2017 at 11:54 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Cool

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Laverdure View Post
Cool

I'd be interested to see this as "% of market" as well, since the raw values are going to scale with # of teams and average # of motors per robot (I think average number of motors per robot in 2017 was higher than 2016 just based on the game)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Some summary data for 2017:

"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Not Allowed Near Power Tools
AKA: Nick Schatz
FRC #3184 (Blaze Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud of

I'm interested in the two Unknown programming languages, rows 359 and 580. Anyone who used a nonstandard language care to come forward? Kotlin reports as Java.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Mentor
AKA: Steve Peterson
FRC #3081 (Kennedy RoboEagles)

Rookie Year: 2011
MrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whether any of these statistics are correlated with OPR.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM
FRC #0320 (Pyongyang Academy of Denim)

Rookie Year: 2014
piersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboSteve View Post
I wonder whether any of these statistics are correlated with OPR.
It would seem rookie year is correlated with OPR. Hmm...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Captain | Driver | Junior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
dirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
It looks like FIRST fixed the bad link in the original blog. Here's the updated link.

Edit: 3946 is row 1553 this year, based on rookie year, language, infrastructure, 4+ CANTalons, 1+Talon, 1+Analog Input, 1+Encoder (direct). But...we didn't have three joysticks or use arcade this year??
Fairly certain team 3991 is 1705 on the list this year (nothing else matches), and everything seems pretty accurate

Thanks to all our alliance partners this year!:
16 | 3310 | 2183 | 4063 | 2992 | 2183 | 3039 | 3337 | 3039 | 2221

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: