OCCRA
Go to Post The evil Chief Delphi machine will begin to consume you and your non-robotics life thread by thread. First hand experience :D. - frcguy [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2017, 07:39 PM
FRC #0100

pKlopp is on a distinguished road
Pneumatapult Questions

I have heard of teams using high flow rate solenoids and gate latches in order to create a harder shot.
Which method is better?

How do you recommend I create variable shots? Would an adjustable hard stop work? What kind of hard stops have been used for pneumatic catapults?

Thanks in advance!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2017, 07:47 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pneumatapult Questions

You don't really need either to make a functional pneumatic catapult. You need to remove the fitting from the far end of a two-stroke cylinder, and either have geometry that starts at a mechanical disadvantage (which slows down the initial actuation and allows pressure to build in the cylinder - for an example, see our 2014 catapult design, which was inspired by some team I cannot remember here in CD) or else have tanks downstream of the regulator (the regulator is a huge bottleneck in terms of airflow).

High-flow solenoids do make a difference and can help eek out additional performance - but they're not what make the catapult work in the first place.

I do not like gate latches in mechanisms like these. They're an additional hazard I'd rather avoid.

There are many ways to get variable shots - a variable hardstop will certainly work. Variable actuation time can work well, too, but only if you're using the "tanks downstream of the regulator" approach (the "weird shooter geometry" approach seen in our 2014 bot above is pretty much designed for one shot and only one shot).

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization

Last edited by Oblarg : 09-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2017, 08:01 PM
FRC #0100

pKlopp is on a distinguished road
Is it better to have a bank of small cylinders or one or two large bore cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2017, 08:06 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKlopp View Post
Is it better to have a bank of small cylinders or one or two large bore cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you mean by "better?"

You can, ideally, get more net airflow into more cylinders, however more cylinders take up more space.

For throwing objects like the 2014 ball, we've had good luck with 1.5''-bore cylinders. YMMV. There's no substitute for experimentation.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

The two obvious ways to get multiple shot angles with a pneumatic catapult is to use multiple cylinders or stop early in code.

See examples here:

Catapult A has 2 cylinders (plus extras in line for more force etc) in line. One has a 3" stroke, the other has a four inch stroke. If both cylinders fire, you have 7" of effective stroke. If one does, you have 3" or 4" depending on which one fires. If neither fires, you have 0" of effective stroke. If you're good at geometry, this type of setup can get you 3 shot angles. Using the 2016 example, this could work to get an outer works, just off the batter, and batter shot all in one mechanism.

Catapult B has just one effective piston, but limit switches or beam break/laser break/whatever is called sensors placed at a few spots to be triggered by the swing of the catapult arm. Obviously takes some intelligent code and prototyping to test reaction time, but in theory one could just have the pneumatic actuator go back to the "in" position before its all the way "out".

Other ways include an adjustable hardstops, including rollers on your catapult (not quite adjusting angle but adjusting shot), and likely many others I am forgetting.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

In 2016 Stronghold, we used a gate latch, but the pneumatic cylinder was used to stretch springs, and the latch held the arm in the stretched position. We did the math for a "charge the cylinder and release the latch" style catapult and found that you had to latch with the cylinder about 1/3 full (don't recall the exact fraction) so that the pressure didn't fall off too quickly after release.

If you do the straight pneumatic launcher, even if you do not get the "high flow" valves and fittings, DO be sure to use valves with the full 1/8" NPT ports. Our prototype of this was inadvertently using valves with M5 ports and a Cv of about 40% of the 1/8" port. By the time we realized the error (at disassembly over a week later), we were committed to springs of some variety.

Finally, if you do opt for multiple cylinders, use a separate solenoid valve for each one. There's very little advantage in using multiple cylinders if you run all the air through the same valve bottleneck. If you use a relay, you can control the whole group together, but if you control them with the PCM, you need to use a separate channel (or channels) for each one.

(Usual caveat about the possibility of the rules changing in future years!)

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 09-03-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added relay and caveat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: