OCCRA
Go to Post I'd say it is somewhat addicting. But I think that is a good thing. It proves that knowledge can be addicting. How cool is that? Now, if we could just get everyone addicted to knowledge, just think of what we can accomplish.:D - Molten [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM
I think I have OCD?
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
Chinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to behold
Custom Ball-shifting, Single CIM gearbox

I'm working on little swerve project that is almost ready to go up on GrabCAD, but in the meantime I thought I would at least put up the gearbox for it. I am looking for some feedback.

Specs:
  • 2.78x spread
  • 2.83:1 reduction in high
  • 7.87:1 reduction in low
  • VexPro ball-shifter shaft and gears
  • COTS shifter piston from McMaster
  • Lightened BrecoFlex AT5 30 tooth pulley, 16 mm width
  • Custom 3-D printed shaft coupling and piston mount
  • 3-D printed shell
  • 1/4" plate, fits in a 5.5"x 3" footprint
  • ~5.5 pounds inclusive of all hardware, shell, pulley, encoder and CIM

Technically it can be a *little* smaller, but this design allows for a tiny bit of flexibility in shifting spread.

Full-res IMGUR album here
GrabCAD here

Alumnus: Present
FRC 1923: 2014-2017

2017: Build/Design Captain, Driver, Pit Crew || 2x District Event Winner, Excellence in Engineering, Entrepreneurship
2016: Build/Design Co-Captain, Driver, Pit Crew || DCMP Chairmans, Entrepreneurship
2015: Build Lead, Pit Crew || Curie Division Winners, Regional Engineering Inspiration, District Chairman's, Judges Award
2014: Pit Crew, Tool Lead || Creativity Award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Custom Ball-shifting, Single CIM gearbox

Is there a reason why you used a number of complex plastic parts when it seems like there could be a simpler COTS option? (ex. encoder mount, pneumatic mount, plate spacer)

Also it might be beneficial to rotate the CIM mounting holes so you can replace the motor without taking apart the whole gearbox. Shouldn't be too hard.

How are you planning on mounting this?
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

This answers a lot of my questions. Very interesting design!
I am still wondering what you used for the cylinder-shifter shaft linkage. It looks like a shaft collar, but I'm not sure how that would work.
Why Brecoflex over Vex pulleys?

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 08:09 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
I'm not on 1923, but this should answer your question

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...8&postcount=53
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
I think I have OCD?

Chinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to beholdChinmay S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post
Is there a reason why you used a number of complex plastic parts when it seems like there could be a simpler COTS option? (ex. encoder mount, pneumatic mount, plate spacer)
We had serious issues with the COTS shifter hardware this year in the 3 CIM Ball-shifter
  • The plastic coupling broke, slipped or let the c-clip fall out on several occasions (we were stuck in low for an entire event because of this). We solved it by 3D printing a custom coupling anyway that worked much better for us.
  • The hardware is very tough to replace or service if anything goes wrong because of how it is mounted in the COTS solution.
  • This design incorporates a female threaded piston, so just stick a bolt and washer in there and we don't have to worry about the orientation of that little nut in the COTS hardware

If I am going to replace a lot of the kit anyway, why not just grab the piston from McMaster as well and use something that's easier to incorporate into the design?

For the encoder mount, we really like the SRX Mag encoders, which don't mount in the existing encoder plates. In any case, the original mounting hardware would be hard to integrate into the design anyway.

Quote:
Also it might be beneficial to rotate the CIM mounting holes so you can replace the motor without taking apart the whole gearbox. Shouldn't be too hard.
Thanks! I'll probably fix that in the next revision. I completely overlooked that

Quote:
How are you planning on mounting this?
This will probably make a lot more sense when I post the Swerve design, but the it basically mounts flat onto some C-channel that has clearance holes for the CIM and shifter hardware.

Quote:
This answers a lot of my questions. Very interesting design!
I am still wondering what you used for the cylinder-shifter shaft linkage. It looks like a shaft collar, but I'm not sure how that would work.
Thanks! It's a 3D printed coupling.

Quote:
One of our mentors works for Brecoflex so that is what is accessible for us. We also love the fact that they offer literally unlimited options in terms of belts and pulleys. The AT5 tooth profile coupled with polyurethane/steel belts seems to be working very well for us since we can get away with thinner belts.

2017: Build/Design Captain, Driver, Pit Crew || 2x District Event Winner, Excellence in Engineering, Entrepreneurship
2016: Build/Design Co-Captain, Driver, Pit Crew || DCMP Chairmans, Entrepreneurship
2015: Build Lead, Pit Crew || Curie Division Winners, Regional Engineering Inspiration, District Chairman's, Judges Award

Last edited by Chinmay S : 05-30-2017 at 09:07 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something but, with that encoder mounting position, the output shaft will not be measured.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdeaver View Post
Am I missing something but, with that encoder mounting position, the output shaft will not be measured.
All you have to do is accommodate for the reductions in code. By not having it on the output shaft in the case of a shifter like this, it does add a layer of complexity because you also have to track what state the shifter is in (high or low) and adjust the ratio compensation accordingly but, again, it should be easy enough to in code. That said, if you were to use this to drive in autonomous, I wouldn't shift gears, as the transition between gears may lead to some odd results from the encoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay S View Post
We had serious issues with the COTS shifter hardware this year in the 3 CIM Ball-shifter
  • The plastic coupling broke, slipped or let the c-clip fall out on several occasions (we were stuck in low for an entire event because of this). We solved it by 3D printing a custom coupling anyway that worked much better for us.
Did you contact VEXPro about that issue? They're generally pretty responsive and like to know when issues occur so they can make changes to prevent them in the future.

That said, I'm thinking you might have just had some bad luck, of the 12 3-CIM Ball Shifters I've built I've never had any issues with the pneumatic couplings (that I didn't cause myself anyways). If you still have the parts, it might be worth checking to see if you had a mismatch between the v1 and v2 revisions of the shifter coupling and the shifter shaft, when they changed the shafts a year or two ago they changed the coupling too, but many of the old parts remained in circulation. If you mistakenly got one part that was v1 and the other was v2 it might explain the issues you had.

Last edited by cbale2000 : 05-31-2017 at 10:54 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2017, 03:24 PM
I think I have OCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
All you have to do is accommodate for the reductions in code.
That's the plan. This seems to be the easiest way to mount the encoder, but if we find we need to track the rotation of the wheels more accurately I can move it onto the output shaft. I'm not too concerned with that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Did you contact VEXPro about that issue? They're generally pretty responsive and like to know when issues occur so they can make changes to prevent them in the future.

That said, I'm thinking you might have just had some bad luck, of the 12 3-CIM Ball Shifters I've built I've never had any issues with the pneumatic couplings (that I didn't cause myself anyways)....If you mistakenly got one part that was v1 and the other was v2 it might explain the issues you had.
I talked to the VexPro rep at champs and he said he was very surprised that we had issues with that part of the hardware. That being said, once we build and test this I will send this formally to VP for review.

All of our hardware is v2 (we only started using the ball shifters Nov. of 2016).

We have built 8 of them so far, and 4 have failed at some point. It's always been in the shifter/piston coupling. It's very frustrating when a COTS part fails at competition even when assembled correctly. I believe this design addresses all of our failure cases.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 05:14 PM
I think I have OCD?

Updated (In preparation for full post):
GrabCAD
imgur

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

That looks awfully fast (low torque). We've run several of our single speed robots with gear ratios intentionally slower than your LOW gear, at least one on 4" wheels.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #0876 (Thunder Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant future

What's the rational behind the (1/4-20?) socket-caps pulling the two plates together? Normally you would use spacers/standoffs in this instance to prevent undue stress being placed axially on the shafts containing your gear stacks. Is there something else at play that is mitigating this force?

Ignore the following if I am wrong or missing something.
If you can't include spacers then you should be looking at full length threading on the fasteners and indexed threads in both plates in order to keep them the proper distance apart.

2011 Lake Superior Regional Champs (Thanks 2512 & 3747)
2015 Central Illinois Regional Engineering Inspiration Award Recipients
2016 Central Illinois Regional Champs (Thanks 2481 & 2220)
2017 Northern Lights Regional Chairmans Award Recipients

Last edited by Skyehawk : 09-13-2017 at 10:20 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:22 PM
I think I have OCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
That looks awfully fast (low torque). We've run several of our single speed robots with gear ratios intentionally slower than your LOW gear, at least one on 4" wheels.
It's being used with 2.5 inch wheels, here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
What's the rational behind the (1/4-20?) socket-caps pulling the two plates together? Normally you would use spacers/standoffs in this instance to prevent undue stress being placed axially on the shafts containing your gear stacks. Is there something else at play that is mitigating this force?
When I posted the updated version, I neglected to render images that include the 3D printed cover that both protects the gearbox and also set the distance between the plates. You can check it out on the link to the original imgur album since that part of the gearbox has not changed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: