OCCRA
Go to Post Kickoff features the joys of discovery. Ship date features the fear of utter failure. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Coopertition Story

I experienced something last week that you all may enjoy hearing about.

Kokomo Economic Development group asked me to give a speech on the creation and lessons learned in creating AndyMark. I've given this speech many times locally, and it seems to be well received.

One of my lessons learned is to work with other companies within the market in order to grow the market. If the pie is bigger, then all of our pieces of pie are bigger. I use the example John Abele gave me many years ago about how the pace maker manufacturers had to work together back in the 60's in order to get the market (doctors and patients) to accept this technology and therefore grow the market.

After the presentation, one of the local entrepreneurs came up to me and we had this conversation:

Them: "There's a word for that, you know."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Them: "When competitors collaborate, there is a word for that."
Me: "OK"
Them: "It's called coopertition. It's a new term in business!"
Me: "Well, that's cool. Coopertition was founded within FIRST, and it serves as part of FIRST's mission. I know the guys who created that word!"

It's a small world.

Andy B.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 11:11 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk
Re: Coopertition Story

Feeling all warm and fuzzy on the inside!

Thanks for sharing Andy, I love these kind of stories.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
I experienced something last week that you all may enjoy hearing about.

Kokomo Economic Development group asked me to give a speech on the creation and lessons learned in creating AndyMark. I've given this speech many times locally, and it seems to be well received.

One of my lessons learned is to work with other companies within the market in order to grow the market. If the pie is bigger, then all of our pieces of pie are bigger. I use the example John Abele gave me many years ago about how the pace maker manufacturers had to work together back in the 60's in order to get the market (doctors and patients) to accept this technology and therefore grow the market.

After the presentation, one of the local entrepreneurs came up to me and we had this conversation:

Them: "There's a word for that, you know."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Them: "When competitors collaborate, there is a word for that."
Me: "OK"
Them: "It's called coopertition. It's a new term in business!"
Me: "Well, that's cool. Coopertition was founded within FIRST, and it serves as part of FIRST's mission. I know the guys who created that word!"

It's a small world.

Andy B.
This form of competitive cooperation helps to accelerate growth in new and interesting ways. I was recently at a conference for my company and these were the shirts they were giving away symbolizing our collaboration with another company that we are actually fiercely competitive with:

Full size image link: https://i.imgur.com/Ge1qCyr.jpg
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM
FRC #0999 (MechaRAMS)

Rookie Year: 2004
Eric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
these were the shirts they were giving away symbolizing our collaboration with another company that we are actually fiercely competitive with:
All I can think of when seeing this shirt is the game Rampage:

2005-2007: Bobcat Robotics 177
2015-20XX: MechaRAMS 999
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Andy.

Coopertition often reminds me of the "Economics/Business" example that the Prisoner's Dilema Wiki page talks about relative to cigarettes and advertising.

Which invariably leads me to remember Axlerod's behaviors of winning iterative PD algorithms have which are:
"By analysing the top-scoring strategies, Axelrod stated several conditions necessary for a strategy to be successful.
Nice
The most important condition is that the strategy must be "nice", that is, it will not defect before its opponent does (this is sometimes referred to as an "optimistic" algorithm). Almost all of the top-scoring strategies were nice; therefore, a purely selfish strategy will not "cheat" on its opponent, for purely self-interested reasons first.
Retaliating
However, Axelrod contended, the successful strategy must not be a blind optimist. It must sometimes retaliate. An example of a non-retaliating strategy is Always Cooperate. This is a very bad choice, as "nasty" strategies will ruthlessly exploit such players.
Forgiving
Successful strategies must also be forgiving. Though players will retaliate, they will once again fall back to cooperating if the opponent does not continue to defect. This stops long runs of revenge and counter-revenge, maximizing points.
Non-envious
The last quality is being non-envious, that is not striving to score more than the opponent."

Which if you replace "retaliating" with being competitive/not a push-over.... you would have:
Be: Nice, Competitive, Forgiving, and Non-Envious

Which in my mind is a solid construct of coopertition, and a great set of guidelines to follow to have an enjoyable FRC Event.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
no team (that is, for now)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKE View Post
Which invariably leads me to remember Axlerod's behaviors of winning iterative PD algorithms have which are:
"By analysing the top-scoring strategies, Axelrod stated several conditions necessary for a strategy to be successful.
Nice
The most important condition is that the strategy must be "nice", that is, it will not defect before its opponent does (this is sometimes referred to as an "optimistic" algorithm). Almost all of the top-scoring strategies were nice; therefore, a purely selfish strategy will not "cheat" on its opponent, for purely self-interested reasons first.
Retaliating
However, Axelrod contended, the successful strategy must not be a blind optimist. It must sometimes retaliate. An example of a non-retaliating strategy is Always Cooperate. This is a very bad choice, as "nasty" strategies will ruthlessly exploit such players.
Forgiving
Successful strategies must also be forgiving. Though players will retaliate, they will once again fall back to cooperating if the opponent does not continue to defect. This stops long runs of revenge and counter-revenge, maximizing points.
Non-envious
The last quality is being non-envious, that is not striving to score more than the opponent."

Which if you replace "retaliating" with being competitive/not a push-over.... you would have:
Be: Nice, Competitive, Forgiving, and Non-Envious

Which in my mind is a solid construct of coopertition, and a great set of guidelines to follow to have an enjoyable FRC Event.
There's a great, interactive explanation/simulation of these concepts here: http://ncase.me/trust/
-Paul Copioli
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe no one was willing to state it, or maybe everyone missed it because it was obvious, but the takeaway here is:

FIRST is changing the world!

IIRC, that's what it's all about.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Andrew
AKA: Andrew Elsen
FRC #1987 (BroncoBots)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mastonevich is a glorious beacon of lightMastonevich is a glorious beacon of lightMastonevich is a glorious beacon of lightMastonevich is a glorious beacon of lightMastonevich is a glorious beacon of lightMastonevich is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Maybe no one was willing to state it, or maybe everyone missed it because it was obvious, but the takeaway here is:

FIRST is changing the world!

IIRC, that's what it's all about.
They coined a term that is now being used for something that has an example of being done in the 60s.

Regional Chairman's: 2013-Alamo, 2010-Oklahoma, 2009-Colorado
Engineering Inspiration: 2017-Iowa, 2016-Hub City, 2012-St. Louis, 2008-Minnesota
Regional Wins: 2017-Kansas City, 2010-Oklahoma
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM
FRC #5556 (Carriagetown Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
StephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of light

I have 3 stories about coopertition as well. Firstly one of my friends works at a restaurant called Brown's, due to an accident the building burned to the ground and will not be able to be used for a few months. Unfortunately there is a fair coming up for restaurants in the area and they cant use their kitchen for it since it was burned. Luckily a competitor (I forget who) is letting them use their kitchen for the event and during the fire they called Brown's to let them know about the fire since no one was there at the time since it was closed. BTW the fire was noticed by police officers who parked there to watch for speeders.

My second story is back during FIRST stronghold my team (5556) was testing our bot but could not test all defenses since we could not afford to build them so team 4909 let us bring our bot to their field and let us test their. They actually gave us some rubber tracks for our ball grabber that allowed us to get through defenses and grab balls easier allowing us to win against them in a later match. Since then my team has loved 4909 and help them when we are able. And as safety captain at every competition they are usually the first team I talk to about safety for the awards and such and I have nominated them several times.

My third story is that I work at Goodwill and our competitor Home goods shares their parking lot with our employees to allow us to have more space for customers to park in ours and letting our employees be able to park more easily. A while ago a customer stole a cart from home goods and we ended up returning the cart for them. And whenever either of us are hiring we recommend people to work at our competitor and when one of our employees quit we tell them they should work at our competitor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: