OCCRA
Go to Post I think CD is worth about 3 billion in Google stock. Talk about one hell of a fundraiser! - Joe Matt [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  #241   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator and Powercube Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBruckUMich View Post
This is different than small components like gearboxes, wheels, structural members, etc.
Tell me that gearboxes, wheels, and structural members (IE Chassis) are small components when you don't have them as COTS. I was around before AndyMark came out with most of these COTS items .... and it is a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O'Reilly View Post
What is the origin of the price limit on COTS items?
The price limit on individual COTS items as well as overall purchasing of COTS items is to (somewhat) balance the playing field. Without it, it would be very difficult for rookie/underfunded teams to compete and be inspired ... as they would continually get crushed by "have" teams
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #242   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
...currently far from a bolt on solution.
I recall seeing the sliding bearing block pictured in the attached thumbnail on 254's robot at IRI circa 2006, and thinking "how is that fair?" At the time, the Poofs and a handful of early WCD teams had to machine their own bearing blocks. Now these are COTS , and people complain about paying $25 for the parts and associated tensioning cam.

To reinforce Adam's point: we aren't just bolting these things onto robots. Using even relatively simple COTS parts effectively requires engineering thought. Using the Greyt mechanism kits requires even more engineering thought. The Average Joes learn to think faster when better parts are available. And we still get to make plenty of parts ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bearingblock.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	22987  

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)

Last edited by Richard Wallace : 02-07-2018 at 02:46 PM.
  #243   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 09:44 AM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my updated opinion and experience related to the Greyt elevator, COTS solutions in general, and what I'm seeing with this game as we hit bag & tag day.

We bought the Greyt elevator (two kits!) But didn't use them. Our students had already done their homework and came up with an elevator of their own design that was deeply inspired by Adam's video series, but did some things differently (bearing sizes, continuous instead of cascade, etc.). We built it and are very happy with the performance. If the Greyt kits are non-returnable, we will use them for off season training in the future. I still think they are a terrific product, and I appreciate both WCP and Adam for what they have brought to this year's game.

I don't think COTS kits like this are foolproof or even very easy to implement. As demonstrated by the number of threads about elevators that aren't working, and by what I've seen in person and in videos this past week, teams still have a lot of work to do to make them minimally functional. Basically they allow teams without CNC machines or other manufacturing capabilities to build more precisely, if they can do the work to figure out how they function and integrate. We will see a few COTS elevators that work great, and a lot that just make robots more tippy and don't help teams improve much. At least for this year. Long term, these types of kits may become well understood enough that they are like gearboxes or the kitbot drivebase, meaning they will be used in creative ways that raise the performance level of average teams.

Last thought: if we were worried that we would see cookie cutter robots this year, all using Greyt elevators and roller claws, well. I'm not seeing it. There are some meat-n-potatoes designs (my team's included), but there is as much variety showing up as I've ever seen.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #244   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 04:35 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

(Spooktober, time to raise a thread from the dead)

This was a fun thread. Now that the season is over, I'm curious how many of these kits were sold and how many made it onto winning alliances.
  #245   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post

This was a fun thread. Now that the season is over, I'm curious how many of these kits were sold and how many made it onto winning alliances.
I'm curious how many made it on to robots at all. I don't remember noticing any while I inspected robots, but that might just be a region thing.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #246   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-20-2018, 10:02 PM
AKA: Cynthia Hannah-White
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
Squillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond repute

We used the Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator on our robot, and had a great 'bot and a great season. Our kids were able to do, and learn, so much from:
- seeing how the thing worked and the choices that were made in designing it
- interfacing it with the 'bot chassis and drive system, cube-grabber (designed from scratch, we didn't use the kit for that), potential hanging mechanisms, etc.
- seeing what happened when they tried to change something (e.g., to put a more powerful motor onto the elevator, add weight in various ways, mount sensors and wiring, use different aluminum rectangle stock than 'recommended' for various parts)
- having something that would actually work BEFORE it was put into the bag, so they could do more programming, driving, etc.

They had plenty of things to strategize, design, CAD (and learned to interface the CAD drawings for the kit elevator with their own for the rest of the bot), build, program and test.

Overall, it was a fantastic option and choice for our generally 'middle-of-the-pack' team, to learn some 'higher level' skills and lessons (e.g., how to handle it graciously when your robot is fine, but your alliance partner has issues; how to continue improving your 'bot AFTER it gets to the "reliably running and performing its intended functions, with functioning auto code" stage - something we often don't reach until late into our competitions, if at all).
  #247   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 08:07 AM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post

We were the 1st seed captain at 2 in-season events, won both using the claw. Made to semis in Turing losing to the the eventual division winners. Just finished the last offseason event for the robot and went undefeated.

Using the claw saved us a lot of time that we translated into more drive practice time.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #248   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 10:34 PM
FRC #5254 (HYPE)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
Rory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to beholdRory Lippert is a splendid one to behold

Our robot competed in 83 matches this season with a record of 54-28-1 using the greyt elevator. We bought it when it came out during build season because we knew the custom machined parts that came with the kit would be more effective than whatever we could make ourselves.

We were worried that if we chose to use our own similar but less efficient vex based design we would be at a competitive disadvantage to teams that bought the kit. I guess we underestimated how many teams would integrate the kit into their robots, as I only maybe saw one or two greyt elevators on other teams all year.

For our two regionals we used a 775 pro with a 45:1 versa planetary gearbox to power it and a vex ratcheting vp stage to hold it up. However we experienced mechanical failures related to the elevator in the finals of both regionals (you can see in match videos if you are interested).

In an effort to make the elevator less prone to breaking we modified the motor mount gusset so we could use a CIM motor with a 9:1 reduction instead. This setup served us well for champs, IRI and two more off-season events.

No matter my mixed feelings about advanced COTs parts like this, the elevator was definitely well designed and very effective. If anyone has any questions about our experience with it feel free to ask.
Finger Lakes 2018 finalists
Carson 2018 finalists

Thanks to all our alliance partners this season: 319, 358, 1559, 578, 71, 1640, 422, 2791, 20, 639, 3044, 263, 5881
  #249   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Exploring Deeper Space
FRC #0225 (TechFire)

Rookie Year: 2005
Ben Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond repute

We played with 6911 at Brunswick Eruption who had one of the Greyt claws with a small gas shock on either side as the spring. Worked out pretty well for them in my opinion.
  #250   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
AKA: Stuart King
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant future

I'm curious about what will happen with GreyCOTS and the like in 2020? Given the extended build season, how many teams will wait for a solution to buy and integrate?

Clearly, some teams benefited a bunch this year and I don't begrudge them working furiously to successfully integrate into their design within the 6 weeks. They deserve congratulations. How this plays out in an extended season has some pretty serious ramifications, IMHO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: