OCCRA
Go to Post It's rather simple: you start with a block of solid and remove material until you just have the robot left. Kind of like making a sandcastle. Only harder. - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV
pic: Video Review at TRI 2018

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Video Review at TRI 2018

Hey Allen, during video review, were there multiple angles of video you all got to watch? Was there opportunity for refs viewing video from teams?

To streamline the process, do you limit the ticket to only video from the event itself?

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Hey Allen, during video review, were there multiple angles of video you all got to watch?
From footage I've seen it looks like they use 3-5 cameras with up to 3 views at a time, a full field view plus views of each side of the field (again, from what I've seen). I would assume for the sake of fairness and time they probably only review the official video.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Hey Allen, during video review, were there multiple angles of video you all got to watch? Was there opportunity for refs viewing video from teams?

To streamline the process, do you limit the ticket to only video from the event itself?
Correct, during video review the Refs are only able to watch the video from the venue. They are just watching the stream, if they can't determine the call from the stream video the call stands as it was called during the match. We don't record each camera separately, so they only have the mixed/switched feed to watch.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
Correct, during video review the Refs are only able to watch the video from the venue. They are just watching the stream, if they can't determine the call from the stream video the call stands as it was called during the match. We don't record each camera separately, so they only have the mixed/switched feed to watch.
Wait a minute - you had video review and the world didn't end? I've been made to believe that video review is an impossibility because of posts on this very forum... I can't believe people on CD could be wrong. That's simply impossible.
Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Here is the TRI video review rule, it has worked well for several years now.

Quote:
Video Review

Given that the technology allows (video system doesn’t go down, etc), TRI will be instituting a video review process for the elimination rounds of the bracket.

Each Alliance is allowed one challenge/review in the playoffs. The alliance captain will be provided a video review coupon in addition to their timeout coupon.

Video review coupons must be given to the head ref during the same time periods in which timeout coupons are allowed following the match to be reviewed.

Only match-affecting calls and yellow/red cards can be reviewed.

The score or lack-of-score being reviewed must be significant enough to affect the outcome of the match. The Head Referee can choose to not review any call that they do not believe will change the outcome of the match.

Video evidence must be indisputable to change a call. The point is to receive credit for an obviously missed score, not debate further a close call that a referee already used their best judgment on. The Head Referee's decision is final after a review.

Only the event provided video will be used by the Head Referee during a video review. Referees will not review any other video footage, including camcorders, phones, or tablets not provided by the event.

The Head Referee, at their discretion, may choose to review any ruling throughout the event. Please do not ask for a video review at any time other than giving the referee your alliance’s video review coupon during the playoffs. All other requests will not be granted. We don’t plan on ever having this happen, but we want to provide the best event possible to teams; video review of other situations may allow us to do this.

Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 04:23 PM
4130 Team Captain
AKA: Nick
FRC #4130 (The Blue Devils)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2012
nick4130 is just really nicenick4130 is just really nicenick4130 is just really nicenick4130 is just really nice

Seeing how TRI handled this, I think it’s safe to say that FIRST Is 100% capable of introducing video review, and is just too lazy to. Who knows, maybe this will be the year they introduce it.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4130 View Post
...I think it’s safe to say that FIRST Is 100% capable of introducing video review, and is just too lazy to.
Ill disagree. Theres still too many events with streams far below what anyone should consider anywhere close to "Acceptable" today (sub-480p), and i would not want to rely on ref's looking at some grainy pixels to see if i racked up some tech fouls or not.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

Rookie Year: 2012
brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
Ill disagree. Theres still too many events with streams far below what anyone should consider anywhere close to "Acceptable" today (sub-480p), and i would not want to rely on ref's looking at some grainy pixels to see if i racked up some tech fouls or not.
I disagree with your disagreeing. Seems like this would be the perfect excuse to make the webcast units (with full-field match footage, to boot!) mandatory. Sounds like a win-win to me.

In the event that HQ doesn't like that, I humbly suggest that they invest our registration funds into time-turner technology and get 1676 to record each event.

Team 20, 2012-2014: 4 blue banners, 5 medals, and 9 team awards.
Missionary, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2014-2016: Colorado Denver South Mission.
Brigham Young University, 2016-present: Computer Science.
Team 6844, 2018-present: 2018 Utah RAS, 2018 Newton/Carver RHS.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:02 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant future

Is there standardization in the equipment used at FIRST events for livestreaming? I heard somewhere that equipment is provided by either FIRST or the regional FIRST organizations (e.g. FiM, FIRST in Texas).

Many times the online stream doesn't look suitable for any sort of VAR, with team numbers being barely readable. However, this could be just 720p video compressed at very high bitrates for online streaming, and no compression would be needed for running an aux output to the referee station.

To anyone who knows about this, what a standard FRC stream setup? Asking because I do live video/IMAG for my church. Also, what changes needed to be made to the streaming setup at TRI to accommodate video review?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM
no team (Volunteer)

MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
Is there standardization in the equipment used at FIRST events for livestreaming? I heard somewhere that equipment is provided by either FIRST or the regional FIRST organizations (e.g. FiM, FIRST in Texas).
Starting in 2017, yes, but
  • Not all events got it
  • it was not used outside the US (to my knowledge)
  • Half of the streams were never properly saved (dont tell me Twitch VOD's are a save, therye not, and they can dissapear at any given time dependent on FIRST's sponsorship with twitch ending)

Quote:
Many times the online stream doesn't look suitable for any sort of VAR, with team numbers being barely readable. However, this could be just 720p video compressed at very high bitrates for online streaming, and no compression would be needed for running an aux output to the referee station.
There are still events (cough Canada cough Florida cough) that are using resolutions as low as 265p.

Quote:
To anyone who knows about this, what a standard FRC stream setup? Asking because I do live video/IMAG for my church. Also, what changes needed to be made to the streaming setup at TRI to accommodate video review?
This depends wildly on who is hosting event (PNW is going to be different from the FIRST Trailer which will be different from Aus) and if its contracted out. (cough champs cough) The basic things needed though is a connection to the FMS for the scores/next match/things like that along with something to key all of it, a switcher if you use more than a camera (or want to switch to sponsor panes and things like that), a camera that can be run on wire power and show what it see's to a computer, a computer (obviously), a way to feed audio, and some internet to stream. Im probably forgetting some things and its really not as simple as it sounds, even for a simple stream. To do the Replays (now termed Highlights) that PNW DCMP does, it required its own seperate switcher that had to be manually controlled to record, rewind, and play, while another switching crew had to put it on air for everyone to see.

Join the FRC Discord!

Volunteer

Last edited by MikLast : 07-03-2018 at 05:50 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:49 PM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
Rangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond repute

To counter the bad stream quality argument, there are plenty of bad streams that you can still get the majority of needed info. Most concerns I've heard about bad calls come from protected area penalties, scoring not being counted, missed pins, missed auto quests, missed climbs, etc. These things would be totally noticeable even on a bad quality, pixelated stream.

Now as far as those events that prefer "action shots" instead of full field, that is another story.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Quote:

There isn't a specific standard, most of the regionals will have the webcast units next year but district regions are on their own for streaming/recording matches.

The TRI complete AV setup costs around $6000 plus the use of some personal laptops, etc.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
There isn't a specific standard, most of the regionals will have the webcast units next year but district regions are on their own for streaming/recording matches.

The TRI complete AV setup costs around $6000 plus the use of some personal laptops, etc.
(The shoutcast setup used this year was separate from this, that was just my personal desktop and some gaming headsets, plus some monitors borrowed from a computer lab.)

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2018, 06:10 PM
no team (Volunteer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangel View Post
Now as far as those events that prefer "action shots" instead of full field, that is another story.
At least the events with action shots use cameras that can show you more than a few pixels...

Join the FRC Discord!

Volunteer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: