OCCRA
Go to Post Now the real question is where are corn dogs located on that list? That is truly all that matters. - Thad House [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternate Source for 1/2" Flanged Hex Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corsetto View Post
Edit: AndyMark's kitbot is a life-saver. Seriously. 1678 has started not opting-out of the kitbot so we can build one for ourselves each year and be better prepared to help local teams with theirs. Thank you AM!
Seriously, anytime a team asks for improvement suggestions the one I always go to is "Use the KOP chassis". If I look at your robot and see an overweight "custom" chassis that probably took you half the season to build you're doing it wrong.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Robot Mentor
AKA: The Bearded ONe
FRC #2974 (WALT)

FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

Vex is currently out of stock of the 1/2 Thunderhex bearing.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmattlythgoe View Post
Seriously, anytime a team asks for improvement suggestions the one I always go to is "Use the KOP chassis". If I look at your robot and see an overweight "custom" chassis that probably took you half the season to build you're doing it wrong.
Even though off-topic, this.

If you integrate a kit drive into your build regiment, then you can successfully have a prototype / practice frame ready to go within the first two days of build without having to worry about fabrication at all. Then, you can purchase your competition frame and have that built by the end of week 2. Two weeks to get the majority of your ideas down and ready for fabricating other systems on your robot is so valuable.

Remember, you have an entire robot to design in 6 weeks. If your resources are limited or your mentor / trained student base does not have substantial depth, opt in for the KOP frame or at least a variant.
FRC 254: The Cheesy Poofs - 2019 -20XX

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."

Last edited by rcmolloy : 10-17-2018 at 01:39 PM.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux View Post
I guess I don't get why anyone would go through modifying the bearing when they could just turn the hex down to round and use a round bearing? Even if you don't own a lathe you could surely find another team or a sponsor that could turn the ends down.
I can think of two reasons.

First, resources. Teams may have a hex broach but not a lathe - If you are in that situation, the idea of broaching a bearing would certainly appeal over trying to turn down a hex shaft, or even finding someone to do it for you. The thought of a few minutes with a broach and arbor press versus the delay in finding someone to help is appealing.

Second, application/design. I can easily think of several cases on my team's robot last year where we had the bearing in the middle of the shaft with hex parts on either side. For example, running a WCD drivetrain. You can have hex hubs on your wheels with hex sprockets/pulleys, and the drive rail with the bearing sitting between them. In other situations, we've used the VersaPlanetary female adapter this year, supporting the shaft just past the adapter with a bearing to help reduce stress on the adapter and gearbox. That bearing has to be hex, although the other end of the shaft could be turned down and use a round bearing.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA

Last edited by Jon Stratis : 10-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
(I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not. See below.)

We at AndyMark take the subject of out-of-stock items very seriously. We hustle to get things back in stock, and we work hard to communicate out-of-stock updates to our customers as needed. Never have we said this to a team when calling for stock updates.
I hoped that even the ludicrous idea of a AM support person saying such a thing would make it clear that it was a joke. The reason I chose to use AM over Vex was because I hold AM's support in quite high regard.

The idea being proposed in the post by a former AM employee was that teams with the resources to stockpile COTS commodity parts deserve the advantage they get as a de facto game challenge created by FIRST and it's suppliers is absolutely absurd. This is something I think you agree with me on judging by your response to my post.

Last edited by Marcus Q : 10-17-2018 at 01:47 PM.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM
OCCRA GDC Member
AKA: FUN - Michigan Region Recap Host
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
2) Re: what a STEM program can do -- I don't expect it to become a cash crop, but Michigan needs to export OCCRA.
I mean, there's also plenty of areas in Michigan that could use their own OCCRA too, not just the rest of the country!

If anyone is looking into starting an offseason league competition like OCCRA, please feel free to contact myself or anyone on 33 and we can work to give you advice and council on things, and I'm sure others involved in OCCRA would be happy to help as well.

FRC/VEX 33: Killer Bees, Design/Strategy Mentor (2018-Present)

FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Design/Strategy/Scouting Mentor (2013-2017)
FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Team President/Driver/Student (2009-2012)
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Coussens View Post
I mean, there's also plenty of areas in Michigan that could use their own OCCRA too, not just the rest of the country!
I agree. I would like to plant some OCCRA here.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:21 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
I agree. I would like to plant some OCCRA here.
Lol, you guys set up a live webcam of your construction project?
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2011
Mk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond repute

Vexpro has them in stock right now for $5 a pop. Why not just order 50 of them if you need them that badly?

We always order at least 50 a few months before the season starts to make sure we have enough for the robots. And generally re-use old ones on the pbot.

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Moving FIRST Forward
AKA: Nitay Sheffer
FRC #1574 (MisCar)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Nitay will become famous soon enough

I would suggest to scout Alibaba.com for cheap 1/2" flanged hex bearings. I had this idea in mind for a few weeks, but haven't got a chance to start looking for suppliers and quotes... But if you order products from such websites, you do need to get them through some kind of QA before you use them on a competition robot.

Nitay from Team 1574 MisCar, Israel.
Like our Facebook page!
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Teacher

wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings,
Yep, I nerco'ed the thread. I thought it would be better to keep all the ideas/thoughts/info/opinion in one place. Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding stockpiling: We are in the process of doing that now. That's why I was asking the question weeks before the season started. However, one of the things my team tries to do is have the ability to source items from one than one vendor if at all possible. We believe that flexibility is always important in the supply chain.

Take away: Vex and AM are the only consistent source for these parts according to the experience of those on CD.

Last edited by wilsonmw04 : 10-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmw04 View Post
Take away: Vex and AM are the only consistent source for these parts according to the experience of those on CD.
I was surprised that this even applied to ThunderHex bearings. My impression had been that Thunderhex used a standard bearing size that you could get elsewhere (but having never needed to use it I never looked). Much to my surprise even the 13.75mm round bearings used with ThunderHex are not a standard part. I think I understand a bit better why some teams still choose to go with 1/2" round keyed stock, it's far easier to get bearings for them just about anywhere.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmw04 View Post
WCProducts also has them, but experiences the same supply issues as the other vendors. They are currently listed as on backorder.

http://www.wcproducts.net/bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
I was surprised that this even applied to ThunderHex bearings. My impression had been that Thunderhex used a standard bearing size that you could get elsewhere (but having never needed to use it I never looked). Much to my surprise even the 13.75mm round bearings used with ThunderHex are not a standard part. I think I understand a bit better why some teams still choose to go with 1/2" round keyed stock, it's far easier to get bearings for them just about anywhere.
That is indeed one of the reasons 1712 stuck with round stock longer than most teams. Back before we could afford to stockpile significant quantities of shaft and bearings, having an immediate quick-turnaround supply from vendors like McMaster was an important consideration for us.

We have since shifted to mostly Thunderhex (with some Hex and Round where applicable) now that we can stockpile before the season.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM
OCCRA GDC Member
AKA: FUN - Michigan Region Recap Host
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
I think ideally thunderhex size would be a common bearing size, but the profile of 1/2" hex just does not line up to be close to any standard bearing. You would have to round the corners of the hex too much and would not have enough face width for the shaft to be effective.

We made some custom 3/8" "thunderhex" last year that used 10mm bearings and turned down hex. It seemed to work fine, but in the future we will still be stocking up on the vex 3/8" thunderhex and the corresponding bearing anyway, because I would rather have the wider face width.

FRC/VEX 33: Killer Bees, Design/Strategy Mentor (2018-Present)

FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Design/Strategy/Scouting Mentor (2013-2017)
FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Team President/Driver/Student (2009-2012)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: