OCCRA
Go to Post Programmer's pride. FIRST needs some more. - Ben Margolis [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 09:59 AM
FRC #3695 (Foximus Prime)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
kelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to all
Question What was your 2018 Greatest Success?

I did this last year and I loved seeing some of the stories people told, so I wanted to do it again this year - although, admittedly a couple months late. What was your greatest success for the 2018 season, or just straight up your favorite moment? However small, every team has some kind of victory and I want to hear it.

Personally, it was the first year my team had ever qualified for worlds. We ranked second at the Central Illinois Regional, made it to finals as captain (thanks to 2826 and 4096), then got to Detroit on a wild card. It was an incredible experience and above all I loved getting to do it for our lead mentor, who has dedicated so much since our teams rookie year.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greatest Success

3946's greatest success this year was bouncing back from a disappointing season robot (mostly a case of too complex for the capabilities) and put together a delightfully simple and fast vault and switch offseason robot which placed third and second at offseason events. Unopposed, this robot could transfer nine cubes from the pyramid to the exchange in 30-40 seconds. It is also precise enough, and the driver worked hard enough, to BUILD the pyramid from cubes scattered on the floor in about 3 minutes. It could also score cubes from the floor into either switch faster than most robots.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 09-28-2018 at 04:01 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM
FRC #2702 (Rebels)

Rookie Year: 2012
Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond reputeNessie has a reputation beyond repute

2702's got one! Our first event this year did not go so great... We had a lot of problems with the robot. The biggest probably being our gripper. It was not the right solution to the task. Anyways, I think the team felt pretty demoralized. But not wanting to let our initial performance get us down, we focused on what went wrong and what we could do to solve it for our next competition. So we redesigned and built a new gripper, made some improvements to the deployment of our buddy climb and improved our auto modes.

Our next competition was as if we were fielding a completely different robot! We ranked 1st! This is the first time since the team was created that we ranked first at a competition and captained the first alliance. It was a very new experience for us and wow! So many new lessons were learned!

We were pretty happy with ourselves for what we had accomplished at our second event considering what our initial performance of the year looked like... But the cherry on the cake was then winning the Engineering Inspiration award! I remember whispering to one of the other mentors as the MC was presenting the awards saying that I'd like the team to work towards and win that award one of these years. And then we won it!

I was honestly dumbfounded. It had not crossed my mind in the slightest that we would've qualified for it. Until we won it that is. Then I thought back to how our year leading up to 2018 had gone and could not agree more!

Our team has grown a lot over the past two seasons. I really like what I'm seeing! That's our greatest success this season; Continuing to improve, not letting ourselves stagnate. I'm hoping we continue this upwards trend in 2019.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 04:15 PM
average analysis and average memes
AKA: Kevin Swift's Biggest Fan
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

lcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant futurelcraig910 has a brilliant future

We won Chairmans for our first time.
-2018: Lincoln District; Troy District (Chairmanís); Forest Hills District; MSC Dow; Curie Subdivision
-2017: Gull Lake District (Winner; 5623 and 5675); Troy District (Winner; 5460 and 818); Shepherd District (Winner; 74 and 6582); MSC Consumers (Finalists; 217 and 4237); Daly Subdivision; IRI
-2016: Center Line District; Troy District; Windsor Essex Great Lakes Regional (Winner; 2056 and 4920); Carver Subdivision (Finalist; 133, 230, and 1775); IRI
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

I won Outstanding Volunteer of the Year at Houston Championships.
My team didn't find out til they found it on the Blue Alliance the next week.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 05:42 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

We were able to have nearly 2 robots done by bag night (typically we started the second after bag night).

We were able to design the robot to very modular, allowing us to redesign easily and service parts easily e.g. we swapped the practice and competition robot's elevator 4 hours before bag.

We were able to use a fully 775 Pro robot (exception of 1st district event redneck climber release) and not destroy a single motor on the comp. bot.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
I won Outstanding Volunteer of the Year at Houston Championships.
My team didn't find out til they found it on the Blue Alliance the next week.
Not to put too fine a point on it: OVERDUE! In my book, you're on the incredibly short list for outstanding volunteer of all time.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 09-28-2018 at 07:55 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Mickey D's
FRC #7214 (TigerOps)

Rookie Year: 2004
RoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to beholdRoboAlum is a splendid one to behold
Re: What was your 2018 Greatest Success?

7214 did a full custom robot instead of kop allowing us to make very cheap 2nd robot that was identical also led both of our regionals in vault play. We also are prototyping a new chassis for 2019.
FRC 4841 2013-2017
FRC 7214 2017-
VEX 4874 2013-2017
Student
FRC 71 2009-2012
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 02:11 PM
AKA: Cynthia Hannah-White
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)

Rookie Year: 2010
Squillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond reputeSquillo has a reputation beyond repute

We kept our team alive, and even had one of our best 2 or 3 seasons ever, despite losing our chief mentor (who created the team and held us together for 10 years) and "team mom" (super fundraiser/travel/organizer), and only being able to afford one regional.

I still can't believe we pulled it off.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 02:36 PM
AKA: dangerous, with a flair for saftey
FRC #2521 (SERT)
Team Role: Driver

waxton is on a distinguished road

somehow, we qualified for worlds

and then we were ranked fourth
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Being dissatisfied enough with virtually everything about 2018 that we're starting to do more things (CAD, host an FLL qualifier and an FTC league meet, use our UL mentor's knowledge to implement a better safety process) and set ourselves up to attend two regionals. Which, when you've only ever attended one regional per year for fifteen freakin' years, is success.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Got to watch my former team go from not even qualifying for DCMP in 2016 to winning 2 events, getting picked for an alliance at DCMP (had always been the first backup bot till then), and then captaining an alliance on Newton. Was pretty exciting to see the 180 in the last 2 years.

Something something 1 cim per banner xd

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 03:57 PM
FRC #2830

ErikSLee is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great thread! Love to hear about everyone's sucesses! 2830 had the exciting experience this year of winning the Seven Rivers Regional with 1736 and 2826 as an 8th seed. Most exciting regional!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 06:32 PM
"Mentor"
AKA: Matt Golman
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Rookie Year: 2007
BordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxton View Post
somehow, we qualified for worlds

and then we were ranked fourth
+1 for this 2018 experience.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Devin Ardeshna
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics) (Currently at UMich)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
dardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud ofdardeshna has much to be proud of

2018 was definitely a tough year for Team 8 after a relatively successful Steamworks season. That said, it was great to end our season at SVR in semis with this partner scale auto put together right before the match. It was a small success, but left everyone feeling like we gave it our best in elims.
Alumnus (Paly Robotics FRC #8)

2018 (FRC #8 - Team Captain) Arizona North Regional Quarterfinalist and Entrepreneurship Award, Silicon Valley Regional Semifinalist
2017 (FRC #8 - Build Captain) Ventura Regional Quarterfinalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Creativity Award, Silicon Valley Regional Finalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Wildcard, Roebling Division Semifinalist, Chezy Champs Quarterfinalist, Capital City Classic Semifinalist
2016 (FRC #8 - Safety Captain) Central Valley Regional Finalist and Wildcard, Silicon Valley Regional Quarterfinalist, Curie Division, CalGames Quarterfinalist and Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Quarterfinalist
2015 (FRC #8 - Student) Central Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Silicon Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Semifinalist and Judges' Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: