OCCRA
Go to Post Who knew a single variable could be so deadly? - 3DWolf [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #151   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST is really looking into the Einstein problems

This is from the introduction to the PDF containing the results of the testing.

Quote:
Additionally, Einstein match play suffered from an intentional act of interference.
I'm too stunned to say more!
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist, Newton/Carver Innovation in Control, Newton #5 Captain
  #152   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott

Thread about the report here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107285
  #153   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Jim Wilks
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Jim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond repute

Read the report in detail.

Lots of "might haves" and "possiblys". No real root cause whatsoever identified. The mystery lives on.

#154   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Building an iOS app @ glacial speed
AKA: @FRCZach
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have information on what "custom electronics" 118 had an issue with?

Edit: Got the answer. I assume it's the BeagleBone.
  #155   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach O View Post
Does anyone have information on what "custom electronics" 118 had an issue with?

Edit: Got the answer. I assume it's the BeagleBone.
That's all in the report. And, yes, some of it was the BeagleBone. Some of it was a bad gyro. The two worked together to create something of a perfect storm for a communication failure.
  #156   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Mentor
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)

Rookie Year: 2005
Hjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilks View Post
Read the report in detail.

Lots of "might haves" and "possiblys". No real root cause whatsoever identified. The mystery lives on.
That is definitely not the impression I got after attending the New Hampshire meeting. The FIRST and NI engineers did a fantastic job. They broke down every match for every robot and investigated every segment of time where control was lost. Every single failure was explained very well.

They are being conservative in what the claim as "intentional interference". Even in matches where a witness saw the individual doing what we now know was the hack, they described it as "likely". Only in the case where the individual *admitted* to it, is it described as "confirmed".

We left New Hampshire with the confidence that there will be many specific improvements next year and that hacks like this will be detected by the field. I honestly look forward to the improvements in the system next year.

Last edited by Hjelstrom : 07-14-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot to mention National Instruments
  #157   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

The report has been made public and there has been time to read and review the findings.

There was a big push for FIRST to act, and act quickly, following the troubles that arose on the 2012 Einstein field competition.

I'm interested in seeing what type of closure this has brought to this thread and to those who contributed to it. The thought, with great power comes great responsibility, has been with me for several days. I've been trying to poke holes in the thought as it applies to the work that was done by everyone committed to identifying the problems and documenting them. I can't find any holes to poke - everyone involved acted responsibly and with great integrity. The experience, and how it has been handled, provides all of us with insight towards a newly raised bar of working together, sharing knowledge and experience, and being humble and open to the process of identifying weaknesses, trouble spots, and problems. It's not an easy thing to do to keep egos in check and trust the opportunity being made available. We can all learn from these teams and these leaders who were willing to step up to that bar and, by doing so, move it to a higher level.

It's been an incredible experience to be able to follow this process from the peanut gallery. I won't put what I've experienced and learned from all of you to waste. I will use it wisely. This is a promise.

Thank you.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #158   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
It's been an incredible experience to be able to follow this process from the peanut gallery. I won't put what I've experienced and learned from all of you to waste. I will use it wisely. This is a promise.
I'm glad this has been an incredible experience for you. For our team, this has been one of the most heartbreaking and deflating experiences possible. I'm glad you want to revel in the sunshine here, but perhaps you should remember that there are still a lot of people who are very hurt and upset. Sure, it's just a robotics competition, but some of us actually care about the robots...
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #159   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
I'm glad this has been an incredible experience for you. For our team, this has been one of the most heartbreaking and deflating experiences possible. I'm glad you want to revel in the sunshine here, but perhaps you should remember that there are still a lot of people who are very hurt and upset. Sure, it's just a robotics competition, but some of us actually care about the robots...
I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the same situation with the same class you have, Karthik. The whole situation just plain sucks, and so very many of us feel for you guys.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #160   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

What you, and your team, experienced throughout 2012 certainly inhales audibly and I can't fathom what it's been like (I wouldn't want to). What Patrick said rings true.
I'm having trouble connecting the dots between Jane's post about learning from the engineering processes of problem solving, troubleshooting, and documentation to your taking it as an attack to your team.
Tragedies happened. We've learned from them, as individuals, as teams, as a community. Why choose to focus on the hurt and distress rather than embrace the lessons that have come? Everybody "cares about the robots" - otherwise we'd be doing science fairs. Otherwise there would have been no investigation, involving people across North America, some not even involved with the 12 Einstein teams Can't we also care about and celebrate the processes, the professionalism, the experience of healing?
  #161   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Taylor Karthik, I don't see how you link Jane's post with the pain your team experienced.

I can try and understand what you guys are going through but there is no way any of us can say we really can. I am truly sorry.

But we have to treat this as a learning experience and carve whatever good we can from the whole thing. I really hope you guys can too.

#162   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
What you, and your team, experienced throughout 2012 certainly inhales audibly and I can't fathom what it's been like (I wouldn't want to). What Patrick said rings true.
I'm having trouble connecting the dots between Jane's post about learning from the engineering processes of problem solving, troubleshooting, and documentation to your taking it as an attack to your team.
Tragedies happened. We've learned from them, as individuals, as teams, as a community. Why choose to focus on the hurt and distress rather than embrace the lessons that have come? Everybody "cares about the robots" - otherwise we'd be doing science fairs. Otherwise there would have been no investigation, involving people across North America, some not even involved with the 12 Einstein teams Can't we also care about and celebrate the processes, the professionalism, the experience of healing?
Did the Eh-Team need to have their season ruined by someone trying to "make a point" about computer security for some people on the internet to learn about failure analysis, professionalism, and the experience of healing? No.

Us armchair QBs can say that we learned a lot and will put it to good use -- but did we really go through the process? I don't think we did.
  #163   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

What I wrote in this thread had to do with this thread. It also had to do with the respect I've felt for those directly involved with situation. It is one that has continually shown us what we are made of as members of FRC.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #164   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
Did the Eh-Team need to have their season ruined by someone trying to "make a point" about computer security for some people on the internet to learn about failure analysis, professionalism, and the experience of healing? No.

Us armchair QBs can say that we learned a lot and will put it to good use -- but did we really go through the process? I don't think we did.
By 'process' I meant the shared experience of troubleshooting, finding solutions, reading and understanding the documentation that resulted. Of course we didn't go through the "process" of having our dreams shattered in a despicable and embarrassing way, and I don't believe I insinuated that any more than Jane did.
I don't consider myself an armchair QB; I consider myself a creator of tomorrows engineers and problem solvers that can learn and grow from this horrible incident.
  #165   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Let's take it back...
AKA: That's a J. Dilla reference, BTW.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
I, too, care about the robots. As an Archimedes team, we were naturally rooting for The Eh Team. I was even more geeked when Chairman's was announced, giving the Simbots the chance to equal HOT's 6-banner 2005 season (with a GTR-W silver kicker). To see things come unglued with this intensity at this level was puzzling to our new students, shocking to our veterans.

That someone would interfere intentionally with Einstein has robbed us all of something. Those us of us watching were robbed of what could've been a spectacular finish to one of the best FRC seasons of the modern era. Twelve teams were robbed of the chance to compete on even terms. And frankly, everyone that's ever set foot on a FIRST field, from corn kernels on, was robbed of a certain innocence, the ability to say "We're better than that." Now we're forced to settle for "All but one of us are better than that, and we threw that bum out."

I hail from a state that has combined for two Einstein appearances ever. We know how rare the shot at the title is, and just how wronged everyone was this year in St. Louis. But without a time machine to hunt down that individual and slap the cell phone out of his hand, all we can do is make the most of the events that follow. This has triggered a number of procedural and technological improvements that will hopefully benefit all teams in the future. And it has served as a stern warning to anyone else thinking they'd want to interfere with a match. I agree that this came at far too high a cost, but at least we all got a sliver of something for our disappointment and heartache.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

106 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 14 seasons, over 70,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: