OCCRA
Go to Post I've got it! INFLATABLE clown fish!!!! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
AKA: Oliver Graff
FRC #3780
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
linuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud of
Re: FIRST is really looking into the Einstein problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch1373 View Post
Yes, there was a large number of phones in one area, many of which I'm sure were using wireless. The robots, however, connect to the field on the 5GHz band, as opposed to the 2.4GHz band that most devices use(I don't think I've ever seen a phone that can connect on 5GHz)

What you're seeing is actually the Wireless SSID's that the field is broadcasting, not the robots themselves. You're unable to connect because of the WPA2 encryption that every team has to put on their robot's radios(via the radio kiosk) before they can compete. The field is configured with those encryption keys and any device connecting to it must have it as well.
The SSID is broadcast on the same frequency as the network it represents, so I imagine his phone is 5GHz capable, but as stated, this is the exception, not the rule.
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
2015-17 Championship Divisional LRI
AKA: Dana P. Henry
FRC #0839 (Rosie Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Rosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rosiebotboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
From what I heard, they have done this. 5-why, Six Sigma, Root Cause experts have been brought in to help with this. Some are FIRST experts, some are new eyes to the situation.

I'm excited to hear how things go this weekend, and wish everyone the best of luck and good fortune to find out the most they can.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker
Not to belabor this, but I am at FIRST HQ now for the FLL/RD/FTC partners conferences and had the opportunity to talk face to face with Bill Miller last night at dinner. (And yes, he reads ALL these posts and is VERY AWARE of the conversation ongoing here on CD)

My point is this: FIRST is doing all the right things. All the key FTAs are here, all the key Vols are here, OUTSIDE engineers that have nothing to do with FIRST are here, (some have been here all week) and the teams are here. (or coming in today) along with FIRST Staff.

Let them do there job and dive in. I am as anxious as the next guy to find out what went wrong. It will take time.
KPCB Entrepreneurship 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Rookie All Star and Top Rookie Seed 2002
Paul Harris Fellow, CMP Inspector 05-16, Head LRI NE FIRST JTB 1944-2008 "What did you do with your dash?"
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
MST Rolla Senior
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiebotboss View Post
My point is this: FIRST is doing all the right things. All the key FTAs are here, all the key Vols are here, OUTSIDE engineers that have nothing to do with FIRST are here, (some have been here all week) and the teams are here. (or coming in today) along with FIRST Staff.

Let them do there job and dive in. I am as anxious as the next guy to find out what went wrong. It will take time.
Quoted for truth. They're doing everything they can to figure out just what happened. They've brought people in from the outside and they funded getting all 12 teams robots and key members of each team to FIRST HQ. <- That tends to require money, and FIRST is paying for all of it.

Just be patient.
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016) | FTC Referee (2017) | VEX IQ MC (2017) | FRC A/V (2017)
Academic Student (Forever)
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM
MST Rolla Senior
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

I see 2/3 of the "Eh-Team", namely my favorite blue and red box of a Canadian team...
Looks like it will be an interesting weekend. (Anybody else think the field looks oddly empty without the bridges?)
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016) | FTC Referee (2017) | VEX IQ MC (2017) | FRC A/V (2017)
Academic Student (Forever)
  #125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
AKA: Gregor Browning
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

I like the nice addition of the garbage can to the field. 30 points of you can balance it on a bridge?
FLL 2011-2015 Glen Ames Robotics-Student, Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-2015 Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Drive Captain
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
How I came to be a FIRSTer
<Since 2011

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 06-09-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Respecting the wishes of HQ.
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Official Scorekeeper
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond repute

All they need now is a large tesla coil to simulate the lightning outside

DISCLAIMER: Any opinions/comments posted are solely my personal opinion and does not reflect the views/opinions of FIRST, IndianaFIRST, or any other organization.
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:03 AM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by potbelliedyeti View Post
...and the confetti has been removed from the field pieces.
I think we all know that this is the most important part of testing right there!
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
RyanN
AKA: Ryan Nazaretian
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute

I wish FIRST, the teams there, and everyone involved, a good luck replicating and finding the problem so it will never happen to another team again.

I'm anxious to find out what causes this problem and hope it will clear up te problems we faced at the Bayou Regional.

Current team:
Team Appreciate, FRC 2468

Previous teams:
Team Fusion, FRC 364 (2003 - 2015)
Garnet Squadron, FRC 4901 (2015-2016)
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
Bruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to behold

Hmm no updates or did I miss something?
2013 Buckeye Regional Finalist
2014 Superior Regional Industrial Design Award
2014 Superior Regional Finalist
2014 Wisconsin Regional Finalist
2014 Wisconsin Motorola Quality Award
2015 Wisconsin Regional Motorola Quality Award
2015 Queen City Creativity Award
2016 Buckeye Regional Finalist
2016 Wisconsin Regional Finalist
2016 Wisconsin Regional Industrial Safety Award
2016 Wisconsin Regional Excellence in Engineering Award

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cyberhawks706
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce,
The experts are still reviewing data and filing reports. It will likely be a few weeks before the final report can be compiled. Please be patient.
www.wildstang.org
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Bruce,
The experts are still reviewing data and filing reports. It will likely be a few weeks before the final report can be compiled. Please be patient.
I don't think we are worried about seeing a final report right now. I think the general question is, were the problems replicated?

We can appreciate it will take time to go through the data and come to any real conclusions or resolution.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
Bruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to beholdBruceb is a splendid one to behold

This from FIRST

Dear FRC Teams:

Thank you for your continued support as we conduct our examination of issues surrounding the Einstein matches from Championship.

This past weekend we duplicated, to as great an extent as possible, conditions as they were on Einstein in St. Louis. All Einstein robots and one to two representatives from each team were present. Matches were run in the same order, with teams in the same driver stations, as at Championship. In addition to 1-2 representatives from each team and FIRST staff members, highly respected independent experts and key volunteers participated in and contributed to the evaluation. Additional specialized tests were also conducted.

The FIRST staff were in awe of the Gracious Professionalism exhibited by all participants. At each turn, teams illustrated camaraderie – loaning parts, helping carry and set up others teams' robots, and even helping drive competitors’ robots when necessary.

We have learned a great deal, and have much more to learn. With the large data set to be analyzed, and a few additional tests still planned to be run, it will be several more weeks before we are prepared to draw and share our initial conclusions.

We have asked all weekend participants not to disclose details concerning weekend testing until our additional testing, results and initial conclusions are available to the entire community. The FIRST Engineering staff, with support of the external experts and the FIRST community experts are working with all deliberate speed on their analysis and recommendations. We understand everyone's desire to hear initial results and appreciate your continued patience.

Please continue to provide your experiences, thoughts, questions and concerns as we move through this process. We are checking the 2012frcfeedback@usfirst.org in-box and teams' input has already played an important role, including being the inspiration for some of the specialized testing we performed this past weekend.

Sincerely,

Jon
2013 Buckeye Regional Finalist
2014 Superior Regional Industrial Design Award
2014 Superior Regional Finalist
2014 Wisconsin Regional Finalist
2014 Wisconsin Motorola Quality Award
2015 Wisconsin Regional Motorola Quality Award
2015 Queen City Creativity Award
2016 Buckeye Regional Finalist
2016 Wisconsin Regional Finalist
2016 Wisconsin Regional Industrial Safety Award
2016 Wisconsin Regional Excellence in Engineering Award

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cyberhawks706
  #133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Jim Wilks
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)

Jim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Wilks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceb View Post
This from FIRST

We have asked all weekend participants not to disclose details concerning weekend testing until our additional testing, results and initial conclusions are available to the entire community. The FIRST Engineering staff, with support of the external experts and the FIRST community experts are working with all deliberate speed on their analysis and recommendations. We understand everyone's desire to hear initial results and appreciate your continued patience.
I always see the "not to disclose details" card played when things didn't go well. I guess there was no aha! moment when the problem showed itself again. If there was truly good news, it would be shared immediately.

Just my $.02 worth.

Last edited by Jim Wilks : 06-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
  #134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilks View Post
I always see the "not to disclose details" card played when things didn't go well. I guess there was no aha! moment when the problem showed itself again. If there was truly good news, it would be shared immediately.

Just my $.02 worth.
Or if you have a few likely contributors that you are trying to sort out. Or if you have a problem that you can have a solution to shortly. Or if you have a problem with no current solution and feel you need a proposed solution before you scare teams into not competing or...

There are a whole lot of reasons to not prematurely release ideas/data/anedotes. This reminds me of a neat story I read in WIRED a few years back.

Last edited by IKE : 06-14-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
AKA: Mike O'Brien
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Rookie Year: 2001
Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike o. Send a message via Yahoo to Mike o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wilks View Post

Just my $.02 worth.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that there was no good news out of this past weekend. It is not an uncommon step in any engineering project/analysis to not disclose information until the analysis phase has been fully conducted. Sharing information, and especially having it go through the many phases of word of mouth can just add more confusion while they are in the concluding steps of confuting the testing and analysis. As someone who is very curious and anxious to see what has come of this investigation, I truly believe that we do need to be patient and let them fully get their work done so that we can get an accurate and concise conclusion and findings from all of this.
2009 CMP Team Spirit Award; VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2008 VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2007 & 2006 VA Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technology" Award
2005 VA Team Spirit Award; 2004 VA Imagery Award; 2003 Rookie Year

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: