OCCRA
Go to Post Okay, okay, I'll bring your Krispy Kremes to the Championships ... I bought them right after the '03 Championships ... I'm sure they are still in the attic - Natchez [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2018, 02:12 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11
Tableau during the summer

My team wants to learn Tableau and how to best integrate it into our current scouting system, but the activation key in our kit of parts expired on 4/30/2018. I reached out to Tableau and they said cannot re-activate it or issue a new one if the kit of parts key has expired.

Since I'm sure some teams use Tableau for summer competitions or to prototype new scouting systems, how do you get around the expired key? Do your students all just apply for the student key and hope your mentors are teachers?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2011
Clayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud ofClayton Yocom has much to be proud of
Re: Tableau during the summer

All of the stuff we do in Tableau can be done in the free version (with the exception of saving workbooks) so in the summer we use that.

EDIT:

Someone asked in Discord where to get the free version of tableau, it is available here

Last edited by Clayton Yocom : 07-05-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added link to tableau public
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Simplicity by Design...
AKA: Tim Miedzinski
FRC #0836 (The RoboBees)

Rookie Year: 2004
tim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
Since I'm sure some teams use Tableau for summer competitions or to prototype new scouting systems, how do you get around the expired key?
Short answer: You can't, options are be a student/teacher or go free version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
Do your students all just apply for the student key and hope your mentors are teachers?
Short answer: Yes.

I went through this about a month ago myself, and had no luck.

We currently use Qlik and wanted to investigate in the offseason, but found it wouldn't play as nice as we wanted with the free version. I went back and forth with a rep from Tableau, and because our team is a community based team with no teachers, only the students could gain access after the 30 April deadline.

For now we are sticking with Qlik because it's what we know and switching to the free version of Tableau doesn't buy us much.

Tim's Shortcuts Anderson Powerpoles and Crimper, Star/Tube Nuts
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2018, 01:32 PM
FRC #4388

Shadowthedog902 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also try power BI it is what my team uses. It's free from Microsoft and is very good for beginning users as t uses dax language which is the same as excel.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant futuredeslusionary has a brilliant future

You don't need to get Tableau with FIRST codes. Tableau is free for students, you just have to provide some form of student ID for verification.

https://www.tableau.com/academic
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:21 PM
AKA: Gabriel Krotkov
FRC #1712 (Dawgma)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
GKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud of

Alternately, RStudio and R are free to download, and thanks to the amazing work of Hadley Wickham, so too is the tidyverse*, and in particular ggplot(2).

If your students are willing to brave a learning curve (R is a vectorized language and there's no denying that that's weird for most programmers), using something like ggplot2 could be valuable for them. It's a really powerful tool, and if you have the good judgement to use it properly (read: don't use the fancy stuff unless you have a good reason) you can create some gorgeous data visualizations extremely quickly.

If you'd like some resources to learn more about R or ggplot I would love to point you in the right direction.

* https://tidyverse.tidyverse.org/

Student at CMU, studying Statistics & Machine Learning

Last edited by GKrotkov : 07-10-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: