OCCRA
Go to Post I think there are a ton of teams that would kill for one let alone three engineering mentors (especially one with the knowledge and experience that Rich Olivera has). - XaulZan11 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
The Difference Between Red Herring Clues And Official Game Hints

Hi all,

As we begin to repeat ourselves in the 1st Official Game Hint thread for 2011, I thought it might be interesting for archival purposes and as a reference - to discuss the differences between the unofficial hints/clues and the Official Game Hints.

Would anyone like to give this one a try? First of all, when did we start receiving Official Game Hints directly from FRC? How far back do the official ones go and what were they? Before that, the hints/clues were unofficial and Dave Lavery was behind most of them, right? We also have had some FIRSTers/CD members who created their own hints/hoaxes/chaos, right? What were those and who were the pranksters?

This might be information that will help new members who try to make sense of the excitement and anticipation leading up to Kick off. It will also give us something to do.

I've enjoyed the hints as far back as I go which is not far enough and I sure don't know the history behind any of it.

Thanks for any input and help.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 12-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Difference Between Red Herring Clues And Official Game Hints

Official hints began for the 2003 season, Stack Attack, IIRC.

2003: the quadratic formula, used as the scoring formula. (not quite sure if that was official or unofficial via Dave's signature)
2004: Lines from the song, "Stairway to Heaven". (Same note as 2003)
2005: Riddle.
2006: Riddle.
2007: Picture of a scored game piece--up close, so only the inside edge of the game piece and the diamond-plate circle with the number 5 on it showed.
2008: 3 hints: IR receiver board, GPS coordinates of the Tortoise and Hare statue in Boston, and "Vets Hurdling First Tetras", which was an anagram of the password to the manual, minus punctuation.
2009: First a picture of an opah, or moonfish, then a riddle.
2010: 2 CAD models of field parts
2011: See hint thread; reversed album cover.

Fakes: Various rumors that turned out not to be true, but there is one classic one that was fairly close in some aspects: A leak was claimed before the 2001 game.
Greg Needel's hoaxes were the sort of "it's out! Ha, ha, fooled you"; 2009/2010.

Lavery red herrings: Numerous. Random sayings, faked pictures, comments about whack the Billfred being the game, you name it. Epic red herring was the morse-code signature spacing for the 2010 season. And yes, some herrings are red when Dave posts them. Typically 3-4 or more per season.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is has anybody ever learned anything actionable from a game hint or red herring.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Robot/STEM troublemaker since 2001
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now run U.P. Robotics (other programs))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
The real question is has anybody ever learned anything actionable from a game hint or red herring.
In my experience, no.

I always advise teams I'm associated with to ignore them and have a safe and restful holiday season. However, I also include the link to those hints and discussions in the same email because the sadistic side of my loves the fact that some people just can't help themselves. I get a kick out of seeing the self-torture despite having my best advice right in front of them.

Wrong to do, I know. But exceedingly amusing for me.

Enjoy the holiday herring, no matter what part of the RGB spectrum you observe this time of year.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

There is one thing that occurred to me this morning... With such a huge history of "unofficial" hints and clues, and the amount of attention everyone here pays to Dave's posts and Bill's blog, it would be incredibly easy for them to drop something innocuous in their posts that would completely twist the way people look at the official game clues. For example, I've heard a lot of speculation around stairs after the official clue, linking the fact that the backup singers were standing on stairs to various statements/pictures made over the past few months. That could be a complete red herring, designed to keep us from figuring out what the clue really means.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No.

Their just for fun. At best they give the game name or some part of the field that really tells you nothing about the game.

I love every year watching people try to figure out the game from them. The wild speculation is amazing and never correct.

I miss the riddles, they were always the most fun.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bah humbug, guys. It is a terrible thing to enjoy silliness, cleverness, and fun. Especially during the holidays. That's why I never ever think about, quote, or watch any Monty Python movies after the 21st.

Seriously.

Jane

P.S. Thanks, Eric. If anyone has any specifics to add, that would be awesome.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
That's why I never ever think about, quote, or watch any Monty Python movies after the 21st.
But it's not got much Spam in it...

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the closest to do this was Madison K in 2006 who figured out the Shovel's Show part of the clue (David Spade - Just Shoot Me) and inferred a game dealing with projectiles.

I recall that Dave explicitly mentioned this during the kickoff.

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
But it's not got much Spam in it...

That, sir, is a sketch. Not a movie.
Thus, the intended irony has gone awry.
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
That, sir, is a sketch. Not a movie.
That, sir, is the meaning of life.

Going awry.

~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
You cannot not make a difference
FRC #2170

Bill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
I always thought songs from Steely Dan should have more irony in them. In FRC 'bots, we find mostly aluminy along with the going awry parts.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Official hints began for the 2003 season, Stack Attack, IIRC.
Actually, in 2002 FIRST gave us the BOM for the raw materials to build the goal in advance of the 2002 game. They did not say it was a goal, but we figured out what it was from the purchasing list. We did not build it of course and had no idea what would go in these goals. But it sure was fun thinking about what it could be.

So in the end, even that giant hint did not really help prior to receiving the full game. It was just fun.
2016 Galileo Division, #6 Seed, 9 W - 1 L
2016 MAR District Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Westtown District Finalist (thank you 4954 & 484)
2016 Westtown District Imagery Award (It took 17 yrs)
2016 Hatboro District Judge's Award
Overall Record 49 W - 21 L
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Possibly....

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=79
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_341 View Post
Actually, in 2002 FIRST gave us the BOM for the raw materials to build the goal in advance of the 2002 game. They did not say it was a goal, but we figured out what it was from the purchasing list. We did not build it of course and had no idea what would go in these goals. But it sure was fun thinking about what it could be.

So in the end, even that giant hint did not really help prior to receiving the full game. It was just fun.
The field BOM definitely continued after that as well. I know I've looked over a few, and my first year was 2004. I want to say the last one was in 2007 because I remember there being a carriage bolt on the list, and I know we used those to attach the plates to the end of the spiders.

(We were never smart enough to figure out what we were supposed to build though.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: