OCCRA
Go to Post Mentor-built (adj.): A term describing a robot that is better than your own, and / or a robot with paint on it. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
  #526   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: pic: Game hint

Since I don't have access to the board, I cannot test it, but my assumption (yeah I know) was that out0-3 were analog outputs.

Code:

Name Pin # Signal Description
+VIN 1, 2 Positive power supply voltage input. Voltage should be in the range 7-15 volts
DC. Your power supply will have to be independent, for example, a 6 x AA
battery pack, 9V battery, 12V battery, bench top supply, or other.
GND 3, 4 Negative power supply voltage input
OUT2 5 Output signal associated with third trained button
OUT1 6 Output signal associated with second trained button
OUT3 7 Output signal associated with fourth trained button
OUT0 8 Output signal associated with first trained button
NC 9, 10 Unused
And if we were allowed to use an array of these sensors you could quickly position where and what orientation you were on the playing field.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #527   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
but my assumption (yeah I know) was that out0-3 were analog outputs.
Sorry Bro,
According to the documentation available from FIRST:
"Each output provides a 100 mSec high (5V) pulse when its command is recognized."

No analog here, just one discrete output per input. Either High or Low.

Don't worry, I don't take the "me" part of your assumption personal.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #528   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
AKA: Joel Turner
FRC #0507 (Trojans)

Rookie Year: 2002
coolbotz is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: pic: Game hint

Pin description on J2 is a classic PIC -ICSP programming port.
  #529   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
Sorry Bro,
According to the documentation available from FIRST:
"Each output provides a 100 mSec high (5V) pulse when its command is recognized."

No analog here, just one discrete output per input. Either High or Low.

Don't worry, I don't take the "me" part of your assumption personal.
Digital ... darn. And here I was hoping for a navagation aide.
Ah, well .

Thats what I get for assuming
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #530   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254 (Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2004
Richard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Richard McClellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
I'm no electronics expert, but I think running this off of the 12V battery will all the crazy loads on it would be bad (but then again.... the RC is off the 12V...). Is this true?
It would still probably be okay with crazy loads as long as the voltage stays between the required 7.5V and 15V, which it should unless you run your main battery really really low (which is bad for the battery anyways).
Current Mentor for 254 | Cheesy Poofs | 2013
  #531   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:31 PM
AXE 'EM JACKS
AKA: Neal Jamieson
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)
Team Role: Alumni

njamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to njamietech

Personally I don't think it will be part of the robot.

However I do like some of the Ideas that have been presented. Should make for an interesting year.

16 days 18 hours and 28 minutes till kickoff.
  #532   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Free Agent Mentor
no team (Team Krunch)

Rookie Year: 2002
jerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud ofjerry w has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
So I guess the 12vdc battery on the robots is just there for counter balance?
actually our team did use the battery that way one year.

come on Mr. Bill.
you have seen some of the things first has done in the past. maybe they forgot that the 3 pin connector for a digital input has +5 volts on one of the pins. so, why connect to and draw power from the breaker panel to operate this board?

did they need a 5 volt regulator on the board and on the robot controller?

i think you are looking at only half of the system here. for IR communication, the robot will have a transmitter. the IR reciever is the half that is placed on the field. we can use any old handheld remote for now. but we will have something else in the kit of parts.

jerry w
  #533   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry w View Post
we can use any old handheld remote for now. but we will have something else in the kit of parts.
Like this? http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.a...ogEntryId=3584

.99 cents + 5 dollar shipping from there when it was available.
I'm sure FIRST could have convinced Woot to sell them a ton of them for even cheaper.
(btw, I love the time on the timestamp in that summary about it.)

#534   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry w View Post
actually our team did use the battery that way one year.

Come on Mr. Bill.
You have seen some of the things first has done in the past. Maybe they forgot that the 3 pin connector for a digital input has +5 volts on one of the pins. So, why connect to and draw power from the breaker panel to operate this board?

Did they need a 5 volt regulator on the board and on the robot controller?

I think you are looking at only half of the system here. for IR communication, the robot will have a transmitter. the IR receiver is the half that is placed on the field. we can use any old handheld remote for now. but we will have something else in the kit of parts.

jerry w

We've been known to use a battery that way as well. Why waste that much weight and compensate for it elsewhere?

I really doubt FIRST would "forget" +5vdc is there. But, then again, the GTS from the 2005 KOP required +12vdc. as well, and it had to come from the battery. Besides, here are some quotes from the Users Guide:
Quote:
"Assuming a 12VDC supply,"
and
Quote:
"Voltage should be in the range 7-15 volts
DC. Your power supply will have to be independent, for example, a 6 x AA
battery pack, 9V battery, 12V battery....."
So, if the robot will have the transmitter, then why manufacture one receiver board, at a minimum, per team and also spend the money and manpower on shipping?

As for a transmitter being in the KOP, I definitely agree, that is a possibility!

I guess all this back and forth is fine for now. We both will know for sure come Kick Off.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #535   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Robot/STEM troublemaker since 2001
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now run U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute

So, I was thinking. Could it be possible even though all rational people might say this game will never happen ... Does IR work underwater? Or more importantly, through an air-water interface? ... sigh ... I was going to sleep over the holidays, now I'm wrapped up in the mayhem too ...

Last edited by Rich Kressly : 12-19-2007 at 04:27 PM.
  #536   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kressly View Post
So, I was thinking. Could it be possible even though all rational people might say this game will never happen ... Does IR work underwater? Or more importantly, through an air-water interface? ... sigh ... I was going to sleep over the holidays, now I'm wrapped up in the mayhem too ...
Light does pass through the air water barrier but it bends as it does so.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #537   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

I know pretty much for certain we'll get some IR emitters in the kit. Anyone ever stalled a Fisher-Price? (sorry, couldn't resist)
  #538   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
Light does pass through the air water barrier but it bends as it does so.
Water's refractive index is about 4/3. Light originating on the water side will be partially reflected (back into the water) and partially refracted (into the air) at angles given by Snell's Law. Light originating in the water and incident on the surface at an angle greater than about 49 degrees will be totally reflected back into the water.

So some underwater positions will permit better transmission of IR than others.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)

Last edited by Richard Wallace : 12-19-2007 at 05:09 PM.
  #539   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Water's refractive index is about 4/3. Light originating on the water side will be partially reflected (back into the water) and partially refracted (into the air) at angles given by Snell's Law. Light originating in the water and incident on the surface at an angle greater than about 49 degrees will be totally reflected back into the water.

So some underwater positions will permit better transmission of IR than others.
I wasn't going to get into the math of it because it's highly unlikely that we'll need to transmit (or recieve) through the air/water barrier.

Also, you will most likely be able to transmit at greater angles because the surface of water will (most likely) never be a perfect plane.

Snell's law could come into play though if you tried to protect your sensor with polycarbonate ... which also makes me wonder if polycarbonate is opaque to IR ... Hmmmmm
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #540   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
AKA: Mitch
FRC #2075 (Enigma)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
mizitchell is on a distinguished road

Polycarbonate isn't opaque to IR
I think...

Display Modes Rate This Thread