Go to Post The FIRST MEs need to go into field design asking that basic question "WWZD?" (What will the ZebraCorns Do?). - GeeTwo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
  #496   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Re: Recieve ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
It's all lot smaller than I thought.
Same thing I said when I saw it. It's smaller than the CMU camera board, by about half.

#497   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:04 PM
ydnar90

Re: pic: Game hint

As i just finished reading through all the other posts I have a question for Dean Kamen, Dave Lavery, or our new sponsor diversified Systems (or any other official FIRST people): since it IS the season for gifts are there any other nice little hints you would like to give to the good little boys and girls who spend so much time theorizing and reading this thread? If there is a place with divsys's CAD file for the board I could use a link. Thanks and happy holidays!
  #498   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Donut's Younger brother
AKA: Lil Mil
FRC #0498 (Cobra Commanders)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
Milaki is an unknown quantity at this point

For the chip is FIRST sending out backups to teams or just one?

Theoretically, it's all a matter of perspective, technically speaking of course.
  #499   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Broke a hundred!
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.divsys.com View Post
The IR sensor component was donated by Vishay. We (diversifiedsystems) provided the layout, engineering, bare circuit boards, all the remainder of the components, and assembled it all. This was part of our sponsorship to FIRST, and specifically to all the teams. We have some other cool things coming....

BMW AKA Ben Michael Wrightsman for those that asked.
Ben, and all our friends at Diversified Systems Inc:

Thank you so very much for the generous donation. I humbly apologize for even thinking that DEC was involved (tells you where my head is at: I did not even realize it was December!) and failing to recognize your company's involvement. A big thanks to Vishay as well!

It must be so cool to work at (own?) a place where they have pick-n-place machines AND wave soldering equipment. Kind of like my idea of an amusement park, or maybe a shopping mall....

-...-

Anyway, Team 1676 got their little envelope today, and I think everyone needs to be reminded: This board is NOT large. It's about the size of the sensor board in the KOP last year, maybe 1.5" x 2.5"? The little square of paper with the web address on it is smaller than a business card. Think Small. All the more reason the believe it'll be mounted to the robot.

So, repeating what 09randy (oh, ydnar90) wrote: Hey, how 'bout a poem to go with this hint?

Don

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #500   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM
FRC #1523 (M.A.R.S.)

Jim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: pic: Game hint

Maybe since every team is going to program this circuit with their own remote, perhaps the PIC contains enough RAM to download the settings to the camera for detecting different colors of goal lights.

It would be up to the driver team to bring their robot close enough to the driver station to control the PIC with the team's remote to detect the ever-changing goal light.

Jim E.
  #501   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milaki View Post
For the chip is FIRST sending out backups to teams or just one?
I would say just 1 per team because they are donated by Vishay and it may be a loss to the company. However, you could ask him or www.divsys.com to be sure.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #502   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Tried out ours tonight, but it doesn't appear to be working as expected.
It seems to learn about four different remotes (found one it didn't acknowledge at all and another it objected to via the error LED), but after going through the learning sequence it won't respond to any of them in any way.

BTW
One of the traces from the unmarked white connector appears to go to the learn button.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 12-18-2007 at 10:17 PM.
  #503   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post

3 days early what? was an 'official clue' supposed to come out today?

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-2014)

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App | TBA Blog | TBA Swag
  #504   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:53 PM
The Spiky Hair Guy
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Leadership

Larry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
It seems to learn about four different remotes (found one it didn't acknowledge at all and another it objected to via the error LED), but after going through the learning sequence it won't respond to any of them in any way.

BTW
One of the traces from the unmarked white connector appears to go to the learn button.
It might be rejecting the programming if the remotes are working on frequencies other than 38kHz. I would try some other remotes or verify that the ones you are working with operate on the correct frequency.
  #505   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikat View Post
3 days early what? was an 'official clue' supposed to come out today?
It was supposed to be delivered today, apparently. Joe got it Saturday.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#506   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BTW
Thanks Mark. That supports the theory that it will be programmed at the regionals to work with the field. In the mean time, we use any remote we want. We will use our remote to test our bots to see if they will do what we design them to do with respect to the, thus far, unrevealed game.

Once we all see the game, I think this little puzzle will all make perfect sense.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #507   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:42 AM
2007 NASA/VCU Champions
FRC #2108 (Awkward Turtles)

Rookie Year: 2006
Turtlecoach has a spectacular aura aboutTurtlecoach has a spectacular aura aboutTurtlecoach has a spectacular aura about

This has been an impressive thread with all the speculation as to how this IR board will be used. Here is my two cents. Think about what FIRST has always done...they want the teams to develop solutions to problems. NASA eventually wants to put up bases on the Moon & Mars. You need robots working together to make that happen. I bet that the KOP will contain an IR transmitter that will mount on the robot along with this receiver. Robots on the field are going to have to work together to accomplish a task such as a coordinated lift. Four outputs - UP, DOWN, FORWARD, BACK come to mind. The instructions for setting up with a TV remote are so you can test the bot before competition. The white plug would be for regional programming when you bring the robot up for inspection so everyone has the same "learned" program. The LED's on the board would be for diagnostics when checking the bot out during the build and confirming the programming at the regionals. Most likely wrong, but its a thought.
  #508   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Ubuntu Linux User
no team
Team Role: College Student

keen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the rough

Umm.... I'm not exactly sure which wires do what. which leads do you have to strip back and apply power?

From the manual I think it's "saying" Brown and Red are + Posotive, and Orange, Yellow are - Negative

Bonus question: Does anyone have any ideas as to hook this up to our robot as a sensor for "pre-testing"? TTL port?

or just apply power, and then wire 5 - 8 to spare PWM cables. To the white wires?

Last edited by keen101 : 12-19-2007 at 03:43 AM.
  #509   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Ubuntu Linux User
no team
Team Role: College Student

keen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the roughkeen101 is a jewel in the rough

Never mind. I couldn't resist.

OK, so I found an old 2pin sensor (female) cable end, and connected it to the two lower right hand pins. The one labeled "2"(RED?), and the one nest to it which I am assuming is 4 (Yellow?)

Anyway it worked. I was able to program code 1 with a button on my cheap DVD remote.

As for the Sensor part.... I will assume you connect them to old PWM cables. However I could be wrong, so I'll wait to hear otherwise.
  #510   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:

BTW
Mark,

With the speculation about RoboLaser Tag, could the response be to shut down for a period after receiving a signal? Is your sensor still unresponsive?

Have any other teams found results they are willing to share?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: