Go to Post I used to think FIRST was about my learning experiences, but now that I'm out of high school and am a seasoned veteran of FIRST I've realized that this organization is about more than my own enjoyment, it's about the enjoyment of others. - Jeremiah Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2017, 09:50 AM
AKA: Ricky Marcus
FRC #1745 (The P-51 Mustangs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
RickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud of
pic: Custom Length Extrusion - Onshape FeatureScript

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Eat, Sleep, Break The Streak
AKA: Less Curt Hawkins, More a Paul Heyman Guy
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Custom Length Extrusion - Onshape FeatureScript

To keep it 100, I only created the thread for this image posting so I could shower you in green dots. Lots of folks make custom libraries and doohickeys in CAD to suit their particular needs or philosophy on robot building, and that's fine. But to sweat out all 20 custom extrusions that AndyMark, REV, and VEXpro offer (and which no one team is ever realistically going to use for themselves) is going further to make something for the whole community. I can't wait to try it!

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

108 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 71,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Another FRC person making featurescripts for the community?! This is an awesome tool that makes life easy for tons of Onshape teams. I got the chance to beta test this a few weeks ago and liked it a lot! Super convenient to have every FRC extrusion useable in one place. I've been impressed by Ricky's dedication to coding in all of these profiles.

Thanks for your hard work in putting this together and sharing it to the community!

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

Just started using this today and it's amazing. I have a couple requests.

It'd be great if we could align the stock along an axis (example below, sorry for the huge pic).
It'd also be great if we could have the typical extrude options with this (up to face, up to plane, etc)

Last edited by Ty Tremblay : 12-28-2017 at 12:05 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 04:40 PM

RickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tremblay View Post
Just started using this today and it's amazing. I have a couple requests.

It'd be great if we could align the stock along an axis (example below, sorry for the huge pic).
It'd also be great if we could have the typical extrude options with this (up to face, up to plane, etc)

Hi Ty, Thanks for trying it out! I'll look into what it would take to implement those features, but no promises in the near future (especially since kickoff is basically a week away). Might be more of a summer project.

I'd like to understand more about how you use Onshape. I've been creating the extrusions in one part studio and then inserting them into an assembly where I can place them exactly where I need them. This works since most of the parts in my assembly are other inserted COTS parts.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRobot View Post
Hi Ty, Thanks for trying it out! I'll look into what it would take to implement those features, but no promises in the near future (especially since kickoff is basically a week away). Might be more of a summer project.

I'd like to understand more about how you use Onshape. I've been creating the extrusions in one part studio and then inserting them into an assembly where I can place them exactly where I need them. This works since most of the parts in my assembly are other inserted COTS parts.

The direction one could be as simple as setting the sketch plane to a variable, setting that variable as an enum of the direction options, then setting your extrude to normal of the sketch if it isn't already. Doesn't seem too hard, though I may be totally misunderstanding what Ty is asking for. For the rest of them, you could go into the Onshape library where they literally coded the extrude feature and take a look at how they implemented up to vertex, up to part, etc. Onshape features are written in featurescript so it's often easy to just copy the code the devs used.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
The direction one could be as simple as setting the sketch plane to a variable, setting that variable as an enum of the direction options, then setting your extrude to normal of the sketch if it isn't already. Doesn't seem too hard, though I may be totally misunderstanding what Ty is asking for. For the rest of them, you could go into the Onshape library where they literally coded the extrude feature and take a look at how they implemented up to vertex, up to part, etc. Onshape features are written in featurescript so it's often easy to just copy the code the devs used.
This would work for simple things like shafts that are essentially revolved features, but would fail on anything more complex. For example, if I want to extrude a 1x2 VersaFrame tube normal to a selected plane, I would then need to add another variable to allow for arbitrary rotations about its axis. Not super difficult, but that is only the first consequence of this change that I could think of.

I've been looking through the extrude.fs code. It probably isn't too bad if I strip out all the second direction and draft portions.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I create as many parts as possible in the same part studio in order to make use of onshapes awesome multipart features. It helps me easily make shafts adjust length automatically, as well as making sure all of my bearings are aligned.

For the example above, i'd prefer the shaft to be colinear with the hole in the yellow plate, and then to up to a face on the other side of the grey tube. Then, if i decide the tube needs to be bigger or smaller, the shaft will automatically change length.

Here's the part studio if you'd like to poke around: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1...2ff618ffa44cd4
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tremblay View Post
I create as many parts as possible in the same part studio in order to make use of onshapes awesome multipart features. It helps me easily make shafts adjust length automatically, as well as making sure all of my bearings are aligned.

For the example above, i'd prefer the shaft to be colinear with the hole in the yellow plate, and then to up to a face on the other side of the grey tube. Then, if i decide the tube needs to be bigger or smaller, the shaft will automatically change length.

Here's the part studio if you'd like to poke around: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1...2ff618ffa44cd4
Check out V32. I've got 1 of 2 requests for you.

The FeatureScript now extrudes along the normal of the sketch plane that owns the selected vertex. Also added options to flip direction and rotate about the longitudinal axis.

The 'extrude up to' will require a much bigger change to the code due to how I structured it. Might be a next summer project, we'll see.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Quote:
Check out V32. I've got 1 of 2 requests for you.

The FeatureScript now extrudes along the normal of the sketch plane that owns the selected vertex. Also added options to flip direction and rotate about the longitudinal axis.

The 'extrude up to' will require a much bigger change to the code due to how I structured it. Might be a next summer project, we'll see.
Thanks! This is awesome! In the meantime, I can just make the custom extrusion longer than needed and use move face.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Blake B
AKA: Blake
FRC #4909 (The Bionics)

Rookie Year: 2007
techplex is just really nicetechplex is just really nicetechplex is just really nicetechplex is just really nice

This is quite awesome.

Although I think the cross section of the REV extrucion is incorrect via the cad model available here:
http://www.revrobotics.com/rev-21-1000/
http://www.revrobotics.com/content/d...21-1000-DR.pdf
http://www.revrobotics.com/content/cad/REV-21-1000.STEP

Thanks for making this!

Creator FRC Q&A (2017-present)
Mass FRC Team 4909: The Bionics (2016-present)
Maine FRC Team 5122: The RobOTies (2014-2015)
Maine FRC Team 2648: Infinite Loop (2008-2011)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM

Yesterday Onshape added the ability to edit part properties in FeatureScript! So I've updated the Custom Extrusion FeatureScript to automatically assign part materials to all COTS parts from Vex, Rev, and AndyMark! Enjoy!

If you've already added this custom feature to your UI in Onshape, you will need to right click and update it.

*Important Note: Existing extrusions will not necessarily update smoothly to the latest version. This is because some parts (like VersaFrame) come in two materials and I split these out as different options which resulted in some code restructuring. I recommend editing materials manually for existing parts.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM
AKA: Justin
FRC #2090 (Buff 'N Blue)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
jlai is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for putting this together!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: