Go to Post FIRST is good for us. It is good for our own Children. Don't give up, even if you are as tired as I am! - Kyle Hughes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM
FRC #2404 (tnt)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
csulzbach is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone found a good scouting app for iPhone ?

Has anyone found a good, updated scouting app for the 2018 Powerup game that works on iPhones or a good scouting sheet ?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM
FRC #4103 (Roborioles)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2016
cassirole4103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Has anyone found a good scouting app for iPhone ?

FRC Spyder? It's not an app that you can input values into, but it will show the schedule and the teams within each competition. I found it really helpful to use if for scouting setup before competition begins. It will also update and show score and other info. I don't know if it is updated for 2018 yet (or if it will), but I used it last year for set up!
If you have the resources, you could create an app for your self. We are using Kindle Fires and Android Studio to do scouting this year. We have a paper/pencil version. If you want to see it, just DM me!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
AKA: Jordan
FRC #2708 (Lake Effect Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point

We make our own app every year, although it's on android. I recommend making an excel template for all the information you want, then print it out for the scouts to fill out during the match.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

We've done Excel sheets during competition before. Bit of a pain copying over data from one computer to another at the end of the day.

Paper is easiest to set up, but a real pain to consolidate.

Last year we used AppSheet to turn google forms into on-device apps. Works with Android and iOS.
CD search for appsheet: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...archid=8791312

You can set up the app to allow for photos (great for pit scouting), live summaries of certain data, and download it all as a spreadsheet later.

Issue: it uses data to update live (But you can set the app up to do a delayed synch), and it costs money (think it was $10/month for unlimited users)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM
no team

ScoutingFRC is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a website called ScoutingFRC.com where you can export data in a CSV format for analysis in Excel. We also have a page where you can see live stats for teams(useful for drive team strategies!).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM
AKA: Jacob Dara
FRC #7226 (Error 404)

Rookie Year: 2012
darajaco is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I've found that paper scouting sheets are almost always easier than an app. Apps I've used in the past have ended up having sharing issues with files and don't have much in the way of flexibility when it comes to pit scouting notes and what not. With paper sheet you can design them in excel however you want, and can write notes in the margins. The printing process can be a bit of a pain but it's half an hour to an hour of prep for each event (if you do it right) and then you're good to go.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
FF - The Breakfast Company
AKA: Jordan McMichael
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH 27)

Rookie Year: 2011
jlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud ofjlmcmchl has much to be proud of

If you literally just need a scouting system, paper -> manual input into an excel sheet is about as rudimentary as it gets, but you might lose some reliability with manually inputting every robot's performance over and over. (it's tedious).

But, that's not your goal here. The more you automate the system, the more consistent it's going to be, and the better the data that you'll get.

Apps like FRC Spyder + The Blue Alliance's website will give you a lot of information about the field and matches at a high level, but nothing in by-robot detail. For a rudimentary pick list, you can't do much better.

I'd recommend looking into a platform-independent scouting app (e.g. a webpage) that creates a csv or other file that you can import into excel. There's a few that have been advertised in the Scouting subform that should fit your use case

Good luck!

Field reset: '13 - '16, Einstein '16!
Referee: '15 - '18
OOTB: '17 - '18

2018: Kettering #1, Centerline, Lincoln/Milford, Midland, Troy, Marysville, MICMP, Houston, Detroit!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:17 PM
UWRi3D | uwri3d.com
AKA: Michael Midura
FRC #4976 (Revolt Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
michaelwm is a jewel in the roughmichaelwm is a jewel in the roughmichaelwm is a jewel in the roughmichaelwm is a jewel in the rough

I'll be making a version of my old team's scouting app, https://github.com/michaelwm/scoutworks-forms for FIRST POWER UP. It's written in Xamarin Forms so it's available iOS and Android version. It's not the prettiest app but my team loved using it, and hopefully you find the POWER UP version useful (once it's out!)

Last edited by michaelwm : 02-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2018, 12:15 AM
FRC #2404 (tnt)

csulzbach is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the reply's but we are just gonna use paper scouting sheet we are way behind and dont have time.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: