OCCRA
Go to Post Logic has no place here whatsoever. - ThamiorLianodel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Week 5: Teething Pains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Why use 2 bearings on that outer block if only 1 contacts the boxtube?
We hadn't made our standoffs at the time. Our final bearing blocks have quite a bit of cheesing added as well.
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

To replace our breaking sheet-metal bearing guide blocks we machined some out of aluminum.

We'd machine all the features, flip it over and machine off our 'hold on' material, then peel them out and deburr.

They're ambidextrous, unlike their sheet metal counterpart.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZrW5tCy.jpg[e/img]

We also up-sized our wrist cylinders, to great effect. We were able to remove all of the spring counter-balancing that we had, and I think this wound up lighter than the smaller cylinders with springs. We also changed the combination of stroke lengths with these cylinders to get more interesting wrist positions.

We did a bit of drive practice this weekend. Enough to continue to break things, this time in spectacular fashion.

Nothing really broke, but we did find a spot in the arm system that had a little too much compliance. We're going to stiffen it for competition. We reassembled everything after this episode and kept practicing without incident and without full-throttle turning with the elevator and max extension.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

An additional practice session. Not our best, not our worst. We're going to work on automating cube acquisition, adding a camera to the chassis and a set of IR sensors to the collector. That is clearly our weakest feature right now.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you also plan to have a "move elevator to scoring height" button in mind? It seemed like the driver was spending a long time figuring out the height.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
I assume you also plan to have a "move elevator to scoring height" button in mind? It seemed like the driver was spending a long time figuring out the height.
Indeed we do.

#141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Hardcore Dork

Banner Sensor Testing

We setup a series of three IR Banner sensors to detect when a cube was ready to be picked up by the Chain Maw. Initial testing with the sensors just jumped to the PDP looked really good, but when we wired them into the robot with 6 extra feet of 22awg wire their range dropped nearly in half. Undesirable, but likely workable. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with these sensors we'd love to hear how we could increase the range. The best we can think of is that the PDP was running ~1V higher than the 12V VRM, and the extra voltage helped our range out a bit.

Either way, here is a short clip of how they pick up the cube. With the outer two sensor's reduced range it's a bit conservative in 'square approach' situations, which is a bummer. However, by leveraging the poor detection distance of the cube's corner, or when the cube is at an angle, it will detect angled cubes nicely because they have to be further in the Chain Maw to be successfully collected.

#142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Banner Sensor Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
We setup a series of three IR Banner sensors to detect when a cube was ready to be picked up by the Chain Maw. Initial testing with the sensors just jumped to the PDP looked really good, but when we wired them into the robot with 6 extra feet of 22awg wire their range dropped nearly in half. Undesirable, but likely workable. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with these sensors we'd love to hear how we could increase the range. The best we can think of is that the PDP was running ~1V higher than the 12V VRM, and the extra voltage helped our range out a bit.

Either way, here is a short clip of how they pick up the cube. With the outer two sensor's reduced range it's a bit conservative in 'square approach' situations, which is a bummer. However, by leveraging the poor detection distance of the cube's corner, or when the cube is at an angle, it will detect angled cubes nicely because they have to be further in the Chain Maw to be successfully collected.
Have you thought about adding an el cheapo 12V/adjustable buck-boost supply close to the sensors? That could bump it back up to whatever you need.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Hardcore Dork

Re: Banner Sensor Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Have you thought about adding an el cheapo 12V/adjustable buck-boost supply close to the sensors? That could bump it back up to whatever you need.
That is the conclusion that we came to: boosting the voltage will give us more margin on range given the analog nature of the sensor. We ordered a module that will turn 9-36V into regulated 24V and will use this to excite the sensors.

#144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Hardcore Dork

We've been working really hard the last few days, as I'm sure everyone else has. We're getting pumped for GSDE!

111lbs as he sits. Kepler is the competition robot, Doppler is the practice robot.

Here is our driver trying to tip it over with the ramps mounted. We all almost died laughing afterwards.

#145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Hardcore Dork

Here is a video of Doppler climbing Kepler. A whole 1in of ground clearance and no traction tape on the ramps yet.

https://youtu.be/s3N6641s-eQ

#146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:38 AM
FRC #4905 (Andromeda One)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
wjd13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
Here is a video of Doppler climbing Kepler. A whole 1in of ground clearance and no traction tape on the ramps yet.

https://youtu.be/s3N6641s-eQ
Are you concerned about robots having space to balance on the ramps when they have bumpers on? That's 3 inches that they can't move closer to the scale, plus another 3 inches of bumper weight sticking out the back.
  #147   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjd13 View Post
Are you concerned about robots having space to balance on the ramps when they have bumpers on? That's 3 inches that they can't move closer to the scale, plus another 3 inches of bumper weight sticking out the back.
Not really. The rocking observed in the video is because our deck material was too flexible in a few spots. We're going to reinforce it where appropriate to stabilize things.

Also keep in mind that the team platform is somewhat smaller than the field platform, so that part is a little deceiving.

#148   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Hardcore Dork

Here is our 1-Take reveal video for Kepler, our 2018 robot.

#149   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 2008
EricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing the journey so thoroughly. Definitely helped me break my tunnel vision on a few challenges this build season. Good luck!
  #150   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Senior Mentor/Coach
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
The_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to behold

Another great machine and build thread from team 95! Hopefully we'll get to compete with you this season! Good luck!

"Striving for excellence through inspiration"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: