Go to Post you know you are addicted to first when u crave sprockets for breakfast! - Jones571 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Engineer/Mentor
AKA: Derek
FRC #1708 (Amp'd Robotics (formally Natural Selection))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
D_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant future
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

Quote:
Thanks! It is a luxury, and also a significant advantage for a small team like us. A typical meeting is 3-5 students and 2-3 coaches, and when we can all focus on development and assembling our two robots instead of fabrication our schedule accelerates dramatically.
We typically run about 7-10 students with 4 mentors so I understand the stress of building two robots, programming, and trying to machine throughout the 6 weeks. Good luck this year!
"Education is a powerful tool. Always use it to better someone else's life"
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Late night build update: the Chain Maw lives!

We made a lot of progress assembling things for the competition and practice robots. Behold, an army of guide bearing assemblies:

Our regular CNC guy was out tonight, as were our two CNC students, so I got learn how to post and edit g-code for our CNC plasma cutter through HSM works. After a few tries I got it. Each part took <30s to cut. Not as accurate as a laser, but definitely good enough for what we're doing!

And we put a properly-functioning Chain Maw together. We're quite pleased with the results so far. We didn't get a good video of the 'dead on 45' case, but it works quite nicely.

https://youtu.be/7VtpINn6Q4k

https://youtu.be/MrFs1NywB5s

https://youtu.be/stNf2m6PQQ4

It closes with a floating linkage that I demonstrate (poorly) in this video, it's similar to our 2015 can gripper linkages that we were quite happy with. We also gave it a spring-loaded wrist for... when drivers smash it into things. Which I'm sure they will.

https://youtu.be/CFT6hxtbhFw

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Engineer/Mentor
AKA: Derek
FRC #1708 (Amp'd Robotics (formally Natural Selection))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
D_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
Late night build update: the Chain Maw lives!

We made a lot of progress assembling things for the competition and practice robots. Behold, an army of guide bearing assemblies:

Our regular CNC guy was out tonight, as were our two CNC students, so I got learn how to post and edit g-code for our CNC plasma cutter through HSM works. After a few tries I got it. Each part took <30s to cut. Not as accurate as a laser, but definitely good enough for what we're doing!

And we put a properly-functioning Chain Maw together. We're quite pleased with the results so far. We didn't get a good video of the 'dead on 45' case, but it works quite nicely.

https://youtu.be/7VtpINn6Q4k

https://youtu.be/MrFs1NywB5s

https://youtu.be/stNf2m6PQQ4

It closes with a floating linkage that I demonstrate (poorly) in this video, it's similar to our 2015 can gripper linkages that we were quite happy with. We also gave it a spring-loaded wrist for... when drivers smash it into things. Which I'm sure they will.

https://youtu.be/CFT6hxtbhFw
Are you guys worried about the "maw" intake ripping or tearing the material around the power cube?
"Education is a powerful tool. Always use it to better someone else's life"
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Price View Post
Are you guys worried about the "maw" intake ripping or tearing the material around the power cube?
Not at the moment. We originally tested with a 10:1 reduction, which spun so fast that it could wear/melt though the cover quickly. Last night we added a 3:1 reduction for a total of 30:1 and that seemed to lock up against the cube and not tear it. However, it had enough torque to occasionally damage the bumpers.

Our plan moving to implement on the robot is a current-limit on the collector motors and have a beam-break type of sensor to detect when a cube is collected. These two things should leave cubes unscathed beyond some black marks.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not at the moment. We originally tested with a 10:1 reduction, which spun so fast that it could wear/melt though the cover quickly. Last night we added a 3:1 reduction for a total of 30:1 and that seemed to lock up against the cube and not tear it. However, it had enough torque to occasionally damage the bumpers.

Our plan moving to implement on the robot is a current-limit on the collector motors and have a beam-break type of sensor to detect when a cube is collected. These two things should leave cubes unscathed beyond some black marks.
Less smart people than you have cheated in the past and use poly cord as a poor man's friction clutch.

(I'm a lazy programmer, any problem I can bunt into the mechanical world I will)

#81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Less smart people than you have cheated in the past and use poly cord as a poor man's friction clutch.

(I'm a lazy programmer, any problem I can bunt into the mechanical world I will)
I hear ya, but I'm a lazy mechanical designer. Any problem I can bunt into the programming world I will.

#82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hear ya, but I'm a lazy mechanical designer. Any problem I can bunt into the programming world I will.
I see we are at an impasse. Shall I get the dueling pistols?

(I kinda assumed you knew the poly cord trick, it's posted here in case other folks are looking for a solution and don't know how to handle current limiting. I'm coopting a good thread to post useful tricks )

#83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
I see we are at an impasse. Shall I get the dueling pistols?

(I kinda assumed you knew the poly cord trick, it's posted here in case other folks are looking for a solution and don't know how to handle current limiting. I'm coopting a good thread to post useful tricks )
I choose planetary annihilators.

#84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Hardcore Dork

Week 3 Explosion

I don't know if other teams see this same sort of phenomena... for us it's usually a "Week 3 Explosion" where we finally have a critical mass of parts, designs, and midterms have ended, so we make a huge leap forward in visible progress. Well, that day was today. Our practice robot got mostly assembled and is driving.

We're really happy with how the elevator is working, although we don't have a spool attached to it yet. The motion is nice and smooth and we have yet to see any binding in it.

We designed this part especially for CNC milling, mostly to give the CNC folks something besides plasma cutting to do. The lightening features are 0.005in offset in on the 'bottom' as compared to the 'top' so the cutter can clear everything nicely.

We've also painted the vast majority of our competition robot parts and started assembling it.

We also took a few videos, but youtube isn't cooperating right now... maybe we'll get something uploaded later.

#85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2018, 09:15 PM
anonymous internet person
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Week 3 Explosion

Those are neat bearing assemblies! I like the use of detent pins. Are you concerned at all with the bent flange resisting the bending load on the external bearings? It's something I'd be worried about, but if it's strong enough then it makes for a nice simple bracket. What's the material/thickness?
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Hardcore Dork

The nuts on the back of each bearing bolt contact the base of the flange, so when the bearing gets loaded it transfers much of the force through bolt and nut as a lever. So far so good!

It's made from .090in 5052 H32, our favorite building material for sheet.

We've been using detent, cotter, and clevis pins a lot more this year. It's made a bunch of assembly steps, like the bearing assemblies, come together quickly.

#87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Hardcore Dork

Here is a quick video of the lift going up under manual power. We intend to power it with 2x 775Pros, which the JVN calculator predicts will take ~1s to lift to the full 77in of lift.

https://youtu.be/OBtXGN_sXqg

Here is a short clip of a rookie student spraying some of our competition robot parts. She learned how to properly spray, then about 10 minutes later i took the video. Note that the spray and motion are started and stopped off of the parts, the can is kept at a constant angle to the parts, and spray speed is pretty constant. The parts turned out well.

https://youtu.be/_FeTK0I9QJ4

#88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Hardcore Dork

We have a finalized competition schedule:

NHGRS Week 1
CTSCT Week 3
Pine Tree Week 4

Pretty sure the Outliers think that we're stalking them at this point...

#89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Hardcore Dork

Unedited Practice Videos

With our practice robot largely assembled we decided to patch our collector into working to do some drive practice last night. The following videos are 7 unedited minutes of our very first practice using our Chain Maw collector. Our drivers were about 20ft away from the start of the carpet.

https://youtu.be/eFl7HZGM9Sc

https://youtu.be/v100-3iuFWw

This is also our very first time in the 8 years that I've been a coach where we have had dedicated practice space. It is really great to have a spot for driving like this.

#90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM
AKA: Jacob
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
JacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the rough
Re: Week 3 Explosion

Quote:
The lightening features are 0.005in offset in on the 'bottom' as compared to the 'top' so the cutter can clear everything nicely.
Is there any specific reason why you didn't just flip the part and run a second op?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: