Go to Post See... this is what I love about my friends in FIRST. They come forward to help me whenever I need anything. - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Mechanical Mentor
AKA: Robert Tompkins
FRC #2168 (The Aluminum Falcons)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
rtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to beholdrtomp is a splendid one to behold
Re: FRC Blog - FIRST Core Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Am I the only person that's kind of okay with this?
I'm also content with them, they aren't supposed to be super specific in any way.

This isn't a mission statement or their long term goals, those are places where they could let you know how they plan to shape the program, and you could include things about increasing diversity, accessibility, etc. These are simply the core values that the company holds

2013 WPI Regional winners
2015 Springfield District winners
2016 NE District Champs winners
2017 SE Mass winners
2017 Bridgewater winners
2017 Rhode Island winners
2017 NE District Champs winners

"You can't always be the best, but you can always do your best"

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Frank's Post: Suicude Hits Home
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:00 PM
FF: The Breakfast Company
AKA: Taegen Poles
FRC #4476 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
tmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond repute

Given that WAFFLES Community Robotics is both an FRC (4476) and FLL (105) team, I'm a fan of the idea to include the FLL values that we teach our kids as they progress through FIRST.

Unsurprisingly, execution will be key in this change. However, I know FLL was already having some elements of coopertition (given the challenge this year to dump the 'big water' on your opponents table), so I'm optimistic that it can be executed thoughfully with core values entering FRC/FTC.

Like Billfred, I don't think these core values really replace coopertition or GP in their nature despite that they are vital values and morals to have. The prevalence of GP in FRC is obvious, from the 'GP cube' in the game reveal video, to the award itself. But, having a constant set of core values which are now visible in each FIRST level can definitely help consistency. They may also help ease of student transition, but I haven't fully formed my opinion on that yet.

2018: ONOSH W(610, 6110), ONNOB F(2708, 5834), ONCMP1 QF(4618, 2386), CARS QF(384, 4004, 191)
2018 Awards: ONOSH Chairmans, ONNOB Excellence in Engineering, CARS Team Spirit
2017: ONOSH SF(5036, 3683), ONWAT SF(4917, 6342), ONNOB SF(865, 5834), ONCMP QF(5036, 4917), ARCH QF(3467, 930, 1325)
2017 Awards: ONWAT Engineering Inspiration, ONNOB Creativity, ONCMP Engineering Inspiration

Also a 771 alum, Fantasy First TBC member, VP of QFRC, former FLL mentor and FLL/FRC referee!
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:03 PM
TBC Trash Belt Expert
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
P.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, DIIITF. Always a fan of a snappy acronym.
Team 910-The Foley Freeze -- Student 2007-2010, Mentor 2012-2017
Referee at 36 Regular Season Events, 3 World Championships, 31 Off Season Events, and Counting
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: #BeTheBest
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
Ah yes, DIIITF. Always a fan of a snappy acronym.
An easy way to remember is the nice little phrase: "Dean Is Insisting I Team-Form", which helps you remember both the acronym for the pillars and the constant push to grow the program.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:13 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmattlythgoe View Post
IT FREAKING SHOULD BE DONE! This is the reason we end up with crap shows like the springs of 2017.
Why playtest your games when you can just claim it was part of the challenge all along?

To get on topic: I won't let Frank posting 6 buzzwords ruin my day, but I do agree that the omission of GP and Coopertition is a bit odd. However, if FIRST does for whatever reason decide to make those concepts less of a priority, we as a community can still keep it going by continuing to just do what we've been doing. Keep being helpful and keep spreading the message.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
That said, I sincerely hope that Gracious Professionalism (in particular) and Coopertition don't get relegated to a storage locker at FIRST HQ next to the floppies and tetras. The kids (and the adults too sometimes) participating in head-to-head competition in FTC and FRC need both as part of the experience, and I don't see the Core Values covering it in quite the same way.

Based on how they're presented on this page, it looks like Gracious Professional and Coopertition are still going to be at the forefront of FIRST's messaging and values.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysq View Post
Why playtest your games when you can just claim it was part of the challenge all along?
They do playtest their games.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-03-2018, 06:00 PM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

For those who think these core values are vague and meaningless, just wait until you work in a typical corporate environment.

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
For those who think these core values are vague and meaningless, just wait until you work in a typical corporate environment.
Never. You'll never make me get a real job!*

*I prefer the Ramones version of this song but Wait's music video definitely did it justice.

**Actually, one more edit... perhaps the reason we are all so frustrated with empty platitudes is that we do see them regularly and FIRST as an organization should aspire to be something greater than the empty soulless hellscape that is corporate mediocrity.
Clarke's Laws

Last edited by marshall : 06-04-2018 at 08:12 AM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Silver Medal Stockholm Syndrome
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)
Team Role: College Student

Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
perhaps the reason we are all so frustrated with empty platitudes is that we do see them regularly and FIRST as an organization should aspire to be something greater than the empty soulless hellscape that is corporate mediocrity.
QFT and spotlighted.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post
I was distinctly unsinspired by this, so I held off posting until I could figure out exactly why. Please pardon me as I rearrange the list:
Quote:
Our Core Values are:
  • Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
  • Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
  • Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
These three aren't values; they're tools. Additionally, Innovation is something not practiced by every team; often intentionally so. There are a great number of teams who go to standard playbooks, and in some cases literally connect a bunch of COTS components together, or copy the designs of others (especially at FTC and FLL). As much as I wouldn't like to be on such a team, it is a legitimate working model which FIRST has accepted over the years. Good things but not values: 0/3

Quote:
  • Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
  • Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
Yes, these two are values, and good ones. Impact is why Dean started this FIRST thing at all, and Inclusion appears to have been a core value for most if not all of FIRST's history. 2/2.
Quote:
  • Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
The "enjoy and celebrate" here ties back into "Inspiration and Recognition", and there's no denying that making FIRST fun is a big part of its success, but Fun as a core value? 0.5/1
Quote:
In prior years, when asked what FIRST Robotics Competition’s core values were, we would talk about Gracious ProfessionalismŽ
and it is! While I don't think this was a core value back at the founding, it was recognized as an attitude and value of some teams, and celebrated by FIRST leadership. Gone (as far as I have seen) are the days when teams cover up their robots to hide their secret sauce! Indeed, many teams openly post rather detailed reveal videos, and some their CAD! At least half the teams seem to have at least one team member each year who cruises the pits looking for problems other teams are having which they can solve. Teams regularly post white papers and share the analysis and measurements which may be of interest to other teams. I have seen this attitude at some professional (scientific) organizations and certainly among hobbyists (Ham radio, Society of Creative Anachronism, Car Clubs, etc.). Some game clubs (e.g. Chess and Bridge clubs) are as much about sharing as competing. However, nowhere but FRC have I seen a seen such a large organization which is nominally about competition, and which so much sharing takes place AT the competition. I also love how everyone cheers when teams achieve difficult tasks (e.g. double or triple climb this year) and share the frustration at near failure. Because it is so clearly noted as a potential core value but was NOT included in the six, 0/1.
Quote:
and CoopertitionŽ]
Meh. To me this is a game mechanic (which happens to be highly in line with Gracious Professionalism), not a core value itself. 0/0.

Overall, 3.5/7. I sincerely hope that FIRST HQ decides to iterate on this a few more times. Let me propose a couple of unlisted values which fall in line with what I thought FIRST was about:
  • Outreach: We share our solutions and accomplishments with others and invite them to join us.
  • Improvement: We continually raise the bar by making ourselves, our teams, and and our communities better, and by helping others to become better.
  • Integrity: We recognize the influence and help of others in our success, while taking credit for our own accomplishments and improvements, and do not begrudge those who benefit from our example.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 06-05-2018 at 02:32 PM.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
  • Outreach: We share our solutions and accomplishments with others and invite them to join us.
  • Improvement: We continually raise the bar by making ourselves, our teams, and and our communities better, and by helping others to become better.
  • Integrity: We recognize the influence and help of others in our success, while taking credit for our own accomplishments and improvements, and do not begrudge those who benefit from our example.
I like these a lot more than the ones that they have. However, is there anything that Outreach covers that isn't included under Impact?

Plus, if we keep the other two, and the two that you liked from FIRST's, we would get 4 I's: Impact, Inclusion, Improvement, Integrity. It might be nice to have a bunch of I words.

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Mentor

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
I like these a lot more than the ones that they have. However, is there anything that Outreach covers that isn't included under Impact?
Impact is about solving the worlds problems and improving quality of life. Outreach is about bringing people into FIRST's "STEM Movement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Plus, if we keep the other two, and the two that you liked from FIRST's, we would get 4 I's: Impact, Inclusion, Improvement, Integrity. It might be nice to have a bunch of I words.
Yes, especially as we can then link all of them to Inspiration.

How about turning Outreach outside in so it starts with I, clearing up the confusion, and tipping the hat to fun in one stroke:
  • Invitation: We reach out so others can join in the fun!

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Silver Medal Stockholm Syndrome
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)
Team Role: College Student

Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute

Team 20 has three pillars for their core values: Inspiration, Integrity, and Improvement. I've honestly always really liked them since we made them.

EDIT: I've been corrected. In the years since I left 20 has added a fourth pillar of Inclusion.

Last edited by Kevin Leonard : 06-07-2018 at 07:30 AM.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Leonard View Post
Team 20 has three pillars for their core values: Inspiration, Integrity, and Improvement. I've honestly always really liked them since we made them.
As posted above, I'm all over all three as I understand them. Do you have a team 20 definition of each of these?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: