OCCRA
Go to Post Competition isn't about the resources you don't have, it's making the most out of what you do have. - CalTran [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #346   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
not cool
FRC #0354 (354)

Rookie Year: 2007
elvin23 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to elvin23
Re: Girls on Teams

we have a girls team and a guys team we work together and get things done so im happy we have girls they make life better for everyone
  #347   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
AKA: Emily Perry
FRC #0145 (Trx 145)
Team Role: Student

limeyj is an unknown quantity at this point

There are 3 of 25 on our team are girls, and all of the girls are in different sections, i am on the shop team, one girl is on the controls and one girl is on the PR team.

I am a noobie on team 145.
I love working in the shop, and everything in the shop
  #348   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
1073girls

Team 1073 is lacking in the female department. We have 50 students and 13 mentors. Of all those people we have only 2 female students and 3 female mentors.

The female students on the team do a lot of the business work, as well as building the bumpers. The teacher that runs the team at our school is a female, and she helps with all the different areas of the team.

We're looking for ways to improve our girl:guy ratio. Have any suggestions?
  #349   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the Buckeye last year and didn't notice this problem. It might have been that I wasn't looking for it, but I certainly didn't notice. I do know 1 girl on our team who did the stereotypical secretary jobs because she knew she was the best for the job. It was not because she was a girl, it was because she was the best person suited to the job.

FYI: It is not the only job she did. She was also one of the main people on our desing team.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #350   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
A Pirate's Life For Me...
AKA: Christina
FRC #0467 (Duct Tape Bandits)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
angelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to angelc24

Over the years we've increased our guy:girl ratios.
Our rookie year we had 1 girl; now we have 10.

The software, electrical, drive train and arm team are all led by girls, and our steering committee student members are all female as well. The girls on the team are actually the most dedicated members. I, for example, lead the software team, help write and present chairmans, and show up to most of the off season events.

We really found that encouraging your friends to come to robotics really helps, as well as taking girls to any and all PR events involving younger kids. We also have FLL teams that the girls mentor, which definitly brings in girls.

The best thing is to encourage girls to come and make sure they are familiar with all the machinery. It's a little scary to show up the first day and work with all these guys who seem to have been playing with drills, hammers and saws their entire lives. We tend to float towards sterotypical female jobs because we feel most comfortable there. Make them just as comfortable with the tools as they are with writing, you'll be surprised how much they'll do. Guys are just pushier when it comes to technology and building stuff; we are no less interested.

"Whether a bot is made of new parts, old parts or spare parts, you can shine no matter what you're made of"
2005 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2006 Xerox Creativity Award
2006 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2007 Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
2008 Judges' Award

Last edited by angelc24 : 01-28-2008 at 08:30 PM.
  #351   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM
FRC #2543 (Titan-Bot)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2008
PrincessJae is infamous around these partsPrincessJae is infamous around these partsPrincessJae is infamous around these partsPrincessJae is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to PrincessJae

As a rookie team, there are 10 of us and I, the only girl. I basically am in charge of electronics and help out a lot with programming. I mean, since theres only 10 of us were all key players in the entire project.
  #352   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1073girls View Post
We're looking for ways to improve our girl:guy ratio. Have any suggestions?
Developing the girl/guy ratio on the team can sometimes take a while. The way to help it develop is for the girls that are members on the team to enjoy their experience. They will market and promote the team by expressing their enthusiasm.

Another way is to develop a program of recruitment and orientation at the beginning of the year, working with the school administration and teachers. Visit classes for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on what the teachers will allot you and make a presentation regarding the team and what you do. Don't just visit science and technology classes, visit liberal arts classes. That is where you will find writers and artists that will help in areas like the Chairman's, the Woodie Flowers, promotion and marketing, and spirit.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll share our recruitment/orientation program with you.

Also, Molten's post is a wise one to think about. I'm not sure there are stereotypical jobs on FIRST teams. There may be teams made up of individuals who have that mindset but as teams develop, it becomes - who is the best person for the job.

If you have 2 or 3 or 5 girls on the team, celebrate that and help it grow. The 2008 team is not the 2007 team and won't be the 2009 team. Every year is a new year and a new opportunity for growth and development as a FIRST team. It's very cool.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 01-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.
  #353   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
will return to 766 soon!
AKA: Mika Lai
FRC #0766 (M-A Bears)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Blue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the rough

One of our Co-Presidents is a girl who is also in charge of the programming. This year we're about evenly matched in guys vs. girls who lead different sections. However, we only have about twenty people on the member list, and ten or so who show up regularly and work. One girl is really great at PR and loves to do that at competitions. Our entire team scouts when possible, and it helps that some of the parents help scout. Right now, though, we have no women mentors.

To even out the numbers between girls and guys, it helps to have enthusiastic people who aren't too insane. I think I unintentionally scare people away by being too enthusiastic. People just think I'm weird. But I take it as a compliment!

In all seriousness, advertise for spectator-friendly competitions that are nearby, maybe a team-organized off-season match. This means you aren't frantically trying to finish the robot and at the same time trying to teach someone who has trouble telling a nut from a bolt how to build the drive train. People are generally more sympathetic and patient if they aren't under incredible stress, and we've had at least one potential member leave because the (few) veterans were under stress and snapped a few times. Girl or guy, always remember that every team member is valuable.

It also helps if you bring your Robotics advertisements to places where the mainstream of the school will see and notice it. Your marketing flier might be the most awesome and eye-catching, but it will catch no eyes if there are no eyes around for it to catch.

"Show a girl how to use a wrench, and she'll put those skills to use for a lifetime. Hand it to her and tell her she's probably better off shopping, and she'll clonk you over the head with it, do your pneumatics system, and CAD the robot." -Amanda Morrison

'09
  #354   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:46 PM
FRC #2344 (saunders droid factory)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
christina_omg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to christina_omg Send a message via Yahoo to christina_omg

my team is broken down into divisions with a vice president for each.

im the vice president of mechanisms and the marshal of common sense =]
  #355   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
FRC #2332

Team Lucky is an unknown quantity at this point

sry none but we should my friends are grls and they r geniouses
  #356   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:11 AM
FRC #2915 (Riverdale Robotics Pandamonium)
Team Role: Leadership

sishu7 will become famous soon enoughsishu7 will become famous soon enough

30 people, 4 girls.

Girl #1: Team Captain, mechanical team membr.
Girl #2: Marketing team captain, mechanical team member (me!)
Girl #3: marketing team, mechanical team secondary captain
Girl #4: Control systems/electricla team member

So... girls are 4/30 on the team and 3/10 in all leadership roles... not so shabby. And we are all engineers.

Captain
Fundraiser
Engineer

Coder: "If you run the panda-drive code on the panda-bot, it's not running correctly. I think I need to change the panda-code."
Me: "Umm...I like pandas."
  #357   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
cmonkey99

We have about 10 students on our team and 2 of them are girls, one of them being our president.
It usually ends up during a meeting with a couple of the guys and the girls working on the robot while everybody else shoots the breeze. \
Then the mentors step in and say all of us haven't done anything.
But the mentors really do TOO much (control everything).
  #358   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
deejay021

... sigh... team 2549...2 girs... like 13 total... wanted to be cheerleaders...so basically unneeded distraction...
  #359   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Behr

We only have two on the team, but one is the team leader and I (I'm on my friends account cause we're too lazy to sign out.) really just yell at people to do things and keep everything organized.
Also, I'm gonna paint our robot.
  #360   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
deejay021

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay021 View Post
... sigh... team 2549...2 girs... like 13 total... wanted to be cheerleaders...so basically unneeded distraction...
CORRECTION... theres 4 girls...2 cheerleaders and 2 co safety captains...also one is working on mech and another on electrical...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: