Go to Post I know what you mean, but swerve drive is NEVER necessary. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical > CAN
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 01:28 PM
FRC #2130

Gamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant futureGamma + has a brilliant future
Making CAN bus connections

What are your preferred methods of splicing CAN bus cables between motor controllers? Typically, we have used small spade connectors. For a more positive connection should we be skipping a connector all together and simply soldering and heat shrinking splices?

I would love to get insight on other team's methods.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Super User Do
AKA: Andy Fondaw
FRC #0201 (FEDS)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
system201 is a jewel in the roughsystem201 is a jewel in the roughsystem201 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Making CAN bus connections

Our team has been using soldered CAN bus connections for as long as I've been on the team, maybe longer. In the past 3 years we've never had connectivity issues using this method and it is a sure fire way to have solid connections. however it does make any work on the CAN bus difficult and almost impossible when your electrical connections are stuffed inside a robot. So if you won't be making any modifications to the CAN bus after it's been connected, yes a soldered connection is a GREAT way to insure the integrity of any connection, but if you plan to make changes to the CAN bus after the fact there are other options somewhere in between solder and spade connectors. Our team will be using these for most of our electrical connections this year. However i'm not sure if this includes the CAN bus, but I've already used them for other connections and i can tell you they they are a great product and could most defiantly be used to make CAN bus connections secure, and still easy to change up.

FRC 201, F.E.D.S (Falcon Engineering Design Solutions) Rochester Hills, MI

http://www.feds201.com
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we used Green and White Anderson Power Poles with the 15A crimps and the Powerwerx locks. These crimps are pretty hard to get tight on 20 gauge wire though, so we usually completely crush them in a vice. After that, they're rock solid.

Powerpoles are larger than the 0.1" servo-style connectors but we found those to be very fragile and a royal pain in the rear to crimp.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Wago 221 lever nuts! No soldering, no crimping, and they make a very tight hold on CAN wires.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:43 PM
I should be at baseball practice
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

1836 recently made the switch from standard pwm housings to lever nuts. We couldn't believe how much easier and reliable these were! Teams definitely have success with a lot of options, but if you're looking for a really quick and easy solution I have to recommend these. They're pretty self-explanatory, my only recommendation is to make sure to mount these somewhere (zip tie, double side tape, whatever you want) to avoid the connector wiggling around everywhere.

I'm not actually sure where we get them, but they are identical to the product I linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-412-...wago+lever+nut

edit: anand beat me to the punch, guess we think alike

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Latching molex .1 in spaced connectors (3 pin PWM latching connectors).

These will let you use them as PWM speed controllers if you want and interface with the new SPXs without modification.(won't latch to the SPXs).

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

CAN Connectors

Easy to use, easy to remove when you need to use that controller next to something other than another controller; no heat or special tools required. They're also a good impedance match for the CAN wires, so there's less signal reflection than you might get with power poles or another connector designed for ~10-12AWG. We usually secure them with dual-lock.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
FRC #2370 (iBots)

Rookie Year: 2009
droswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud ofdroswell has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
Last year we used Green and White Anderson Power Poles with the 15A crimps and the Powerwerx locks. These crimps are pretty hard to get tight on 20 gauge wire though, so we usually completely crush them in a vice. After that, they're rock solid.

Powerpoles are larger than the 0.1" servo-style connectors but we found those to be very fragile and a royal pain in the rear to crimp.
We're on the Powerpole train as well. But we had the same crimping issues with smaller gauge wire, so we started putting ferrules on our can wires, then crimping them into the Anderson connectors. Gave us a really strong connection that never comes loose.

Seems to work a lot better than our old method, which was to fold them over or solder each one. Give it a shot, I think you'll like the results.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 04:07 PM
AKA: Joey Holliday
FRC #1939 (Kuhnigits)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Joey1939 has a spectacular aura aboutJoey1939 has a spectacular aura aboutJoey1939 has a spectacular aura about

I highly recommend power poles, but the most important part is just having some sort of easily unpluggable and repluggable connection. At the St. Louis Regionals, we had a TalonSRX die in the middle of semis. It took me about 2 minutes to diagnose the problem and 30 seconds to swap out the Talon. With Anderson's on all of the connections I could easily swap out the broken one and swap in a brand new one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: