OCCRA
Go to Post And those who DO know won't talk, even for Krispy Kremes. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: big sponsors hate good teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipo0707 View Post
why is that so many successful teams dont get the big or even enough sponsorships?
like just why? they r successful just help them a bit and in return they will advertise ur company,
u will feel good that u helped a team and so many kids on that team
I hate to be an old man, but shouldn't we promote good grammar in FIRST? It's hard to be successful in anything you do (engineering, business, acquiring sponsors) if you can't manage to put down a coherent sentence using real English words. Communication is too critical a skill to just ignore.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

As a team sponsor, we are more concerned with the behavior, attitude and commitment to FIRST ideals than specific performance in the competition. Some of our teams perform well, some struggle, some are in the middle. We support them all in every way we can.
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2015, 10:44 PM
FRC #0192 (GRT)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Seth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeSeth Mallory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Yes and no. I can't speak for all sponsors, but Bosch does care about the quality of the team though not as much the performance of the robot. If we were cussing and carrying on and being stupid at events, I would not expect to stay a Bosch team. If we were seeded dead last but doing the right things and presenting ourselves well? Fair shot.
I will say that Bosch is great sponsor. The mentors that come from Bosch fit our goals and desires for the students.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely had better success getting sponsors in the weeks following our first regional victory than we'd ever had before. I'm confident that this is at least as much due to the effort and attitude and message put forward as to the sponsors' desire to be associated with a winner.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Build bridges not walls.
AKA: Carolyn Noble
FRC #1024

Rookie Year: 2003
Carolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Finding more team sponsorship can seem like a daunting task. It can be less so with a dedicated group of students who educate themselves on how to improve their efforts.

Use the FIRST Fundraising Toolkit for Success, created by Renee Becker, to help your efforts.

In my experience, gaining more sponsorship is more about the effort and communication put in, rather than the success or status of the team.

Improve your communication regarding your goals, objectives, needs, and grammar. It may seem a silly thing to nitpick about on ChiefDelphi, but practicing your communication skills on this forum may help your communication skills with potential sponsors.

Put more effort into training, organizing, and following through of your team goals.

And thank your current sponsors.
Always take time to thank them.
In person.
With a small gift that they can display.
"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." -Isaac Asimov
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Always a MidKnight Inventor.
AKA: Libby Kamen Drost
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Yes and no. I can't speak for all sponsors, but Bosch does care about the quality of the team though not as much the performance of the robot. If we were cussing and carrying on and being stupid at events, I would not expect to stay a Bosch team. If we were seeded dead last but doing the right things and presenting ourselves well? Fair shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
As a team sponsor, we are more concerned with the behavior, attitude and commitment to FIRST ideals than specific performance in the competition. Some of our teams perform well, some struggle, some are in the middle. We support them all in every way we can.
This is so much of what I came here to say.

From a different perspective, this year I was responsible for launching a FIRST sponsorship program at my company (United Therapeutics). It was pretty interesting to hear different perspectives on what we should consider for criteria - but overall we came to a good mix between the picture of the team as a whole, level of need, and location (priority given to teams local to our offices).

We started with a brand-new roster of 25 FRC teams running a full range of ages - 386 all the way up to 5511. In terms of what we were looking for, performance on the field is probably dead-last when it comes to deciding how we renew their grants for 2015-16.

Is it really cool that we had several regional winners, tons of awards, and even two Championship division winners (paired together, I might add!) on #TeamUnither this season? Absolutely. But if any one of those teams stopped being an appropriate representation of FIRST's ideals - you can bet we'd drop them.

To others' points - communication is key. How you get your message across will greatly impact how that potential future sponsor sees you - and once you have them, keeping in touch to let them know how you're doing is something they won't forget.
2010-Present: Proud Alumni, Mentor & Drive Coach.
2015 Woodie Flowers Finalist Award.
2017-Present: Robotics Advisor, West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District

-
229: Division By Zero / 4124: Integration by Parts
2010-2013: Clarkson University Mentor for FLL, FTC & FRC

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | libby.kamen@wwprsd.org
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 09:51 AM
VP, ingenuityNE (NE FIRST)
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Michael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond repute

Libby hit the nail right on the head... Sponsors define "successful" in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby K View Post
It was pretty interesting to hear different perspectives on what we should consider for criteria - but overall we came to a good mix between the picture of the team as a whole, level of need, and location (priority given to teams local to our offices).
In terms of what we were looking for, performance on the field is probably dead-last when it comes to deciding how we renew their grants for 2015-16.
But if any one of those teams stopped being an appropriate representation of FIRST's ideals - you can bet we'd drop them.
Successful could be quantitative: the number of wins, the number of trophies, the number of students on the team.

Or it could be quantitative in a different manner: the number of students pursuing college degrees in STEM fields, the number of students who win FIRST scholarships, the number of students on the honor roll who were on academic probation.

Or it could be qualitative: the impact the FIRST program has on the students, the impact FIRST has on the mentors.

When answering the OP's question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipo0707 View Post
why is that so many successful teams dont get the big or even enough sponsorships?
I think the first question that should be answered is: "what is successful?"
FIRST Senior Mentor (CT) (2005-2007) | Mentor, FRC 175 Buzz Robotics (1998-2006): 2002 Championship Chairman's Award
ingenuityNE: ingenuityne.org | NE FIRST: nefirst.org | Facebook | Twitter

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Theory Crafting Fo days...
AKA: Charles Ives "M" Waldo IV
FRC #1339 (Angelbots)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
IronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond repute

Did somebody take my citation needed sign on a stick I normally use for protests?
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 01:43 PM
AKA: Wyn Schuh
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
WynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud ofWynS has much to be proud of

I think that sponsors like "quality" teams and I agree that quality can be defined different ways. We try to inspire others as a team and make an impact on students lives. We also make a point of keeping our sponsors informed about how we are doing that. I really think they appreciate that - they also really like photos. As a result, we have some very loyal sponsors - monetary and otherwise. Some of our sponsors have approached us because I believe they see us as a quality team. We do have a few large sponsors but we also have many smaller sponsors. When people ask how we get sponsors, I tell them that we are always promoting FIRST and our team to try and recruit new sponsors. You never know where a sponsorship will come from. Some of our sponsors have come from casual conversations about robotics. We take nothing for granted because there is no guarantee that any of our sponsors will return for the next season.

When sending out sponsor updates, we try and emphasize how much our students are learning and doing because I think that is really what sponsors are interested in. We have not always been a winning team but we have always tried to be a quality team.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2015, 05:45 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
MikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond reputeMikeBrock has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes so much sense!!! Great work OP!
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM
FRC #2468 (Team NI & Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

Along with a few other engineers, I review FRC grant requests for NI funding. I also lead a team of engineers in doing the recruiting tasks at a major Texas university. The qualities that we value in FRC teams are amazingly similar to those we value in employees. This shouldn't be too surprising since we are essentially selecting a representative, one that you will make an investment in and hoping for some amount of accomplishment.

For an employee, no matter how good the grades or the list of accomplishments, they must be able to communicate and convince you that they can be a strong member of a team. This includes verbal, written, and body language and attitude. They don't have to be an actor or produce prose like Shakespeare, but negative impressions and miscommunication can be very costly in day-to-day operations. And of course the communication will largely be about technical topics -- descriptions of buggy mechanisms, observations that help to discover faults, descriptions of the plan that will make it is robust/fast/shiny. They also need to be able to describe the goals they initially set as well as their updates to those goals. You are looking at the whole package, and nobody is perfect, but your task as an interviewer/reviewer is to find ways to compare the expected contribution of each candidate and score or rank them.

For FRC teams, this hardly changes except that you aren't dealing with a specific individual, but an organization -- a team. The team's pit, signage, theme/message/attitude, the goals they set for themselves as an organization, and their accomplishments are all considered. Some of this comes from he written grant request, and some from previous encounters at events. Scoring lots of points or playing good D honestly isn't much of a factor for NI. Awards and positive impact on the students and community far outweigh a technically sophisticated robot or well-coached drivers.

It is also useful to think about a sponsorship request as a competition. Hundreds of teams are likely applying for the same thing as you, and you want your team merits to win your team the grant. This is similar to college applications and it happens within companies too -- for project funding, advancement, and winning contracts.

NI grants try to strike a balance between financial need, accomplishments, and locality. We do not want to see good teams fold. We want to see a good balance of mentor/student involvement. Local team sponsorship has the benefit of combining funds and direct engineer mentoring and it is highly visible and easier to measure results.

Finally, we have to weigh impact of the funds we give to a particular FRC team against the impact it would have on FLL or GirlStart, United Way or other charities. And at the end of the day, these funds could alternately be used to purchase faster computers, construct buildings, pay salaries of employees and interns; so we do have to justify how we are spending company money and why a particular FRC team's budget is more important than the other choices.

So, I'd encourage you to reconsider your initial conclusion. I suspect that this is based on a specific incident, and I doubt that the company motives are what you suggest. If your team was the one to lose funding and doesn't understand why, it is perfectly reasonable for the team to write a professional letter asking for more information, areas for improvement, etc. Be sure this is an official team letter and not a barrage of disorganized questions from different students or subteams. You may also consider sending a letter to companies who are still sponsoring, to tell them how your team did this season, how the money or time investment helped students and team, etc. Let them know how much this means to you and say thank you. This material helps a proponent of FIRST within the company to justify continuing and possibly enhancing the sponsorship.

Greg McKaskle
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

I always hate to be late to a thread but my grammar response and presentation of sponsors was covered by Libby. +1

I do want to comment on Greg's post. As a sponsor (STEMRobotics) I get a ton of requests each year. Like Greg/NI we try to spend the money where it will do the most good (AKA biggest bang for the buck). So we have a tendency to fund starter teams in areas that are under served by competition robotics.
Delmarva Robotics and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Just building robots
AKA: Josh
FRC #4080 (Team Reboot)

Rookie Year: 2011
jman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond reputejman4747 has a reputation beyond repute

The most common thing I get from current and potential sponsors is "do you need help?" and "do you need/will you get good use out of it?". Proving that you need any given amount of money is harder for most smaller teams than parts, materials, and tools.
Alumni, CAD, Programming, & Strategy Mentor: FRC Team #4080
Mentor: FTC Team "EVE" #10458

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Friends of Waialua Robotics, Inc.
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

What's not emphasized enough is what you do once you receive funding. That in itself requires a lot, especially if you plan on reapplying for the same sponsorship, generally speaking.

2018 Canadian Rockies Regional Champions, #1 seed
2018 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award
2018 Festival de Robotique-Montreal Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 08:48 PM
RPI 2018
AKA: Joe Iaquinto
FRC #0308 (The Monsters)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Iaquinto.Joe is a jewel in the roughIaquinto.Joe is a jewel in the roughIaquinto.Joe is a jewel in the rough

Looking at OP's post history they're either a troll or a child. CD is too easy to get a ruse out of some times.

3 year 2011, 2013, 2014 OCCRA member, Co-Captain OCCRA team 308
  • OCCRA Engineering Excellence - Waterford Kettering 2013
  • Innovation in Control - 2011
  • Quality award- Northville 2012
  • Engineering Excellence- Howell 2014
  • Innovation in Controls- Livonia 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: