OCCRA
Go to Post While FIRST's goal is to inspire young people, it will be much easier to do that if we also inspire all the older people as well. - E. Wood [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:07 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Introducing ScantronScouter

I've been working on a project for my team, and I'd like to share it with the community both for other teams to use and for people to suggest improvements.

Introducing ScantronScouter, the semi-paperless scouting method that only requires a single computer and flatbed scanner.

Check it out on GitHub at https://github.com/arimb/ScantronScouter.

2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Last edited by AriMB : 08-12-2018 at 05:39 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Brian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ScantronScouter

Awesome resource! For those seriously considering this system like we are, Team 5406 Celt-X has a really refined system that they use which is public on GitHub, it has a generator for the sheets and everything. I'm sure some from their team can go more in depth about it, but it's awesome

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2018, 08:18 PM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia in memory of David Zohar)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
Dan Katzuv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ari,
Thank you very much for this great software. Looking forward to using it this year .

Thanks,
Dan.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 06:19 AM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia in memory of David Zohar)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
Dan Katzuv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Team 5406 Celt-X has a really refined system that they use which is public on GitHub, it has a generator for the sheets and everything
Can you please send a link for it? Unfortunately I cannot find it on your GitHub organization.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

It's in a different repository:
https://github.com/kForth/ClooneySheetGen

https://github.com/kForth/ClooneyScanner

"Clooney" was written by one of our mentors who isn't on CD, so I can't help with the details, but it is awesome. It really helped us act and feel like a legit competitive team. I'm also really proud of the students and alumni who've taken on the task of running it.

The scantronish system is nice because the scouts don't need any power or network, and if the scanning or data collection messes up, you always have a binder of the original scouting sheets. The downside is that printing 300ish sheets ahead of a tournament takes a bit of planning and cost.

I've attached a copy of the 2018 sheet for your interest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf power up scouting sheet 10mar2018.pdf (90.1 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by nuclearnerd : 08-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2018, 05:14 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would post an update here in case anyone was actually interested in using this.

Students on my team were not looking forward to converting every match and team number into binary for marking on the scantron sheets. The solution that one of the students came up with was to download the match schedule from The Blue Alliance before the competition starts, then use a combination of the 2.5 digit* match number and the alliance station position to look up the corresponding team number from the schedule. The program still works without any internet, bluetooth, or other conenctions at competition, now you just need an internet connection some time the night before the competition starts to download the schedule.** This method could also be modified in the future to download other information from TBA on teams' previous competitions to include in the scouting data sheet. The GitHub repo has been updated with the new program(s).

* 2 digits for ones and tens, plus a single box for +100. Since no competition over 199 matches, there's no need for a third digit row.
** At this point, the format for the TBA data (match schedule) is very simple. If you forgot to do it before arriving at competition and don't have an internet connection, you could input it by hand from the physical copy.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: