OCCRA
Go to Post Life is totally random and there's nothing you can do to change that. - kristen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
believes in robots
AKA: Pika1579
FRC #3940
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Liz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Liz Smith
Re: Negative Repping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
If you promote rep by agreeing with posts, you give negitive rep for disagreeing. Is this not true? What is the ideal use for Negitive rep on Chief Delpi?
Its all spelled out in the FAQ.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/fa...reputation_faq
AndyMark, Inc.

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)
Team Role: Mechanical

John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
I have a problem that there is such a discussion.

What does it matter? It's the least important part of this forum. Ignore them if you don't like them and ignore the people who rep you poorly. I have some negitive rep about comments of disagreement I had with people, but on other websites that use the repping system, thats normal use.
Exactly, It isn't like I look at someones rep to see if what they say makes a difference to me.

But what he says does have some solid point, if you team is a chairmans team (a team that focuses on winning CA) you may neg rep someone for saying winning is important compared to if your a competition team ( a team who wants to win design/competition trophys) you may give the poster a positive rep.

The above applies to my first point, how many of you honestly look at rep in order to judge somebody's idea or contribution to a discussion?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Ridiculously proud of MN First
AKA: Nat Thompson
FRC #1816 (The Green Machine)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
BBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to BBnum3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksandtabs View Post

The above applies to my first point, how many of you honestly look at rep in order to judge somebody's idea or contribution to a discussion?
I think rep should have some bearing on a person's contribution to a discussion. I also think rookie year should have some bearing as well. If a rookie with one green dot makes a somewhat dubious claim on a technical issue, I don't think many people would be inclined to believe that claim. If a long-time FIRST mentor with the full rep points backed up this statement I think more people would believe it. That said, there's no reason someone with very little rep can't have a lot to contribute to a discussion.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0469

Rookie Year: 2003
Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, I think that we need to get off of this topic as it is becoming a bad fighting thread. Please, if you have the answer then answer, but do not post any more personal opinions as far as this should go. I think this thread needs to be closed.

P.S. I'm not going to point anyone out.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)
Team Role: Mechanical

John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

I personally don't look at their reputation points, I just know the actual reputation of most people on this forum. If I don't know the person I just look to see what their rookie year is.

For example, I don't think I have alot of reputation points, because usually, I rarely post. But in my 4 years I have become engulfed in FIRST and know very much about mechanical, electrical and programming. I never ever, and I mean never ever posted in the programming forum, but I have been working in embedded systems for a long time now. Now if someone asked something about one of their personal projects and what kind of microcontroller to use, a very very respected individual such as Alan Anderson or Kevin Watson may reply saying their opinions on a microchip PIC, but then I may chime in and start talking about Atmel AVRs (lets say alan and kevin have never worked with AVRs before). Since I have a way lower rep then the other 2 guys does that mean my information is less useful? No, both sugestions are perfectly valid, just because they have higher rep doesn't mean that PICs are better to use. Maybe in this paticular case an AVR is the right uC to use, but if you go by rep, you wouldn't listen to me in comparison to Alan and Kevin.

I am for the most part an observer on these forums, that doesn't mean my input is worth less just because of a few green dots.

Last edited by John Gutmann : 03-29-2007 at 06:31 PM.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM
believes in robots
AKA: Pika1579
FRC #3940

Liz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond reputeLiz Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Liz Smith

The issue isn't whether or not people generate opinions of one another based on how many green or red dots appear next to their name. I believe the issue that Cody had is that reputation was given for the wrong reasons. If you're using the reputation system, use it right (check out the FAQ link posted above)... If you're not going to use it? Fine.
AndyMark, Inc.

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Smith View Post
The issue isn't whether or not people generate opinions of one another based on how many green or red dots appear next to their name. I believe the issue that Cody had is that reputation was given for the wrong reasons. If you're using the reputation system, use it right (check out the FAQ link posted above)... If you're not going to use it? Fine.
This ground has been covered over and over. Liz's message is about as good as any to close this thread.

Let's all try to get along, it isn't that complicated.

Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: