OCCRA
Go to Post After all of this is said and done, think about how much more you all will know about the lovely state of Montana and other things not related to robotics. :) - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
AKA: Jessica
FRC #4159 (CardinalBotics)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2011
imjessica is a jewel in the roughimjessica is a jewel in the roughimjessica is a jewel in the rough
Re: Electrical Board Mounting

Hey everyone! more pictures of circuits would be really, really helpful. The older pictures have different pd boards and batteries. If someone could also have some closeups of certain connections (like the wires connected to the pd board or the jaguar) that would be VERY helpful. I cant figure out with the outlets on the jaguar are called. thanks so much!!
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:25 PM
AKA: Gianna
FRC #3567 (The Aviators)
Team Role: Leadership

GiannaRae23 is an unknown quantity at this point

We mounted ours on a board last year. Yes, like a wood board. No, it didn't catch on fire. Haha. We used zip ties to keep the wires organized and a label maker with a flag function to label each bunch of wires appropriately. It was a life saver when things needed changed...Also, our cRIO was held in place with velcro...that stuff is your friend. If I find any pictures of ours from last year, I'll be sure to post them. Hope this helped!
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM
AKA: Jessica
FRC #4159 (CardinalBotics)
Team Role: Electrical

imjessica is a jewel in the roughimjessica is a jewel in the roughimjessica is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiannaRae23 View Post
We mounted ours on a board last year. Yes, like a wood board. No, it didn't catch on fire. Haha. We used zip ties to keep the wires organized and a label maker with a flag function to label each bunch of wires appropriately. It was a life saver when things needed changed...Also, our cRIO was held in place with velcro...that stuff is your friend. If I find any pictures of ours from last year, I'll be sure to post them. Hope this helped!
yes that would be helpful! did you use two layers? im not sure we have the same type of board but ours in kinda thin im afraid it wont support the weight

also, did you mount the battery on the board? its super heavy I wanted to mount it on the side of our robot but im afraid thatll unbalance it
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjessica View Post
also, did you mount the battery on the board? its super heavy I wanted to mount it on the side of our robot but im afraid thatll unbalance it
Last year, our electrical board and our battery weighed about the same. Mounting one on one side and one on the other balanced things out nicely.

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

#35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjessica View Post
I cant figure out with the outlets on the jaguar are called. thanks so much!!
Jess,
If you look close at the Jaguar in the area of the screws, you will see one side has molded into the case V+ and V- while the other side is M+ and M-. The M screws are the motor side and V screws are the side you wire to the PD.
www.wildstang.org
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Herder of programmers
AKA: Doug Wegscheid
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)
Team Role: Mentor

fovea1959 will become famous soon enough

cgmv123 (Max): I like the idea of balancing the battery on one side against the power board on the other, but did that make for a pretty long run of 6 gauge from the battery on one side to the power distribution panel on the other?
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fovea1959 View Post
cgmv123 (Max): I like the idea of balancing the battery on one side against the power board on the other, but did that make for a pretty long run of 6 gauge from the battery on one side to the power distribution panel on the other?
No, the standard run length worked just fine. You can see it here:

and here:

It wasn't that much of a stretch, and it worked well.

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

#38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Herder of programmers
AKA: Doug Wegscheid
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)

fovea1959 will become famous soon enough

We're going to have a short/wide robot, so I'll have an extra 10" of chassis width, which is at least an extra 10" of 6 AWG from the battery on one side to the PDB on the other. Is this extra length significant? It's not optimal, but compromises must be made....

if so, trying to figure out which is worse: asymmetry, or high CG. sidepod mounted battery will end up being 12-18" from the floor. I think I can find a spot lower in the middle, but then I have all the electronics on one side, and no battery on the other to counterbalance it.

Anyone got any experience with battery up that high?

Anyone got experience with that level of asymmetry?

Short wiring runs, weight symmetry, low CG. Pick 2... perhaps only 1.

(wish I had good pics of 2612's robot from last year; they did the side mount electronics last year, and it was gorgeous)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

As a rule of thumb, #6 wire will drop 0.1 volt for every two feet of wire length at 100 amps. Stall current on a CIM motor is 133 amps. Four CIMs at near stall will drop roughly 0.4-0.5 volts every two feet. Remember that the black wire and red wire both carry that current and the total length is included in that calculation.
At 12 pounds, the battery is a good way to manipulate COG. I always recommend that teams keep the battery low, inside the robot, to help prevent tipping.
In the order of things, COG first, short wire runs second. Symmetry can be compensated in other ways. If you tip over or can't maneuver, having good electricals won't do any good.
www.wildstang.org
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Principal Engineer
AKA: Keith Buchanan
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)

Rookie Year: 2004
wireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to wireties

Al's advice is first rate. And one should tie everything down (note my handle ;o)). The robot is a high vibration environment and you do not want the wires moving near their attachment points (or at all). When I deliver racks of equipment to the Navy, they check for wire bundles to be tied down every 6" and at every point a wire enters or exits the bundle. Plus a clean wiring effort reduces the chance that a wire gets caught in a moving mechanism.

Labels are a big help! It makes diagnosing/repair/replacing things in the pits much easier. Label the wires, the motor controllers, the spikes and other actuators.

It is a good idea to minimize the length of power wires to/from motor controllers but note that this is really an effort to minimize the total length from PD to jag/victor plus jag/victor to the motor. The jag/victor can go anywhere along that length with little penalty (length of PWM or CAN cables).

Work hard to minimize the 6 AWG wire lengths!

HTH
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Student
AKA: Marco Schoener
FRC #1369 (Minotaur)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
NS_Radication is an unknown quantity at this point

My team is using industrial strength velcro and honeycomb structure plastic.
Head Electrician
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Will MC/GA for food
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this would be the thread to post this question into:
With the addition of the barrier this year, anyone have a shockmounting idea for the electronics board? We usually put the cRio on rubber material to absorb minor impacts, but this year looks like a more heavy duty mount is in order. We were thinking something like surgical tubing standoffs. Modeling it off the rubber standoffs of the pre-2011 compressor. (That big grey paperweight.)

Suggestions?
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FTC Referee (2017-Present)
FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016-17) | FRC A/V (2017) | FRC Robot Inspector (2018)
VEX MC (2017-Present)
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Drive fast and take chances
AKA: Seth Lightfoot
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

Rookie Year: 2010
Lightfoot26 is just really niceLightfoot26 is just really niceLightfoot26 is just really niceLightfoot26 is just really niceLightfoot26 is just really nice

Not gonna lie, I wanna marry the person over at #254 who does their wiring... I have admired it for years. just sayin'

Alumnus, Board Member, and Electrical/Programming Mentor

>>Connect With Me!<<
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTran View Post
We usually put the cRio on rubber material to absorb minor impacts, but this year looks like a more heavy duty mount is in order.
I wouldn't worry about the cRIO. It's very rugged. I worry mostly about what's connected to the modules, and make sure everything is securely tightened down.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy
FRC #0033

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
I wouldn't worry about the cRIO. It's very rugged. I worry mostly about what's connected to the modules, and make sure everything is securely tightened down.
Or the modules themselves...

In 2010, our cRio was mounted horizontally (with the modules facing the rear of the robot), and we managed to eject our whole analog module going over the bump. No damage to the cRio, but the analog module was no longer attached.

We promptly glued the modules in with silicone, and now we always secure the module clips with clear duct tape.
VEX IQ 3333 - The Bumble Bees - 2014+ Mentor

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: