OCCRA
Go to Post ... simple things can amaze me. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future
[FRC Blog] 2018 Season by the Numbers

Posted on the FRC Blog, 6/14/2018: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...by-the-numbers

Quote:
2018 Season by the Numbers
Some awe-inspiring numbers from the 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition POWER UP season, and 2018 ‘usage reporting’ data!

Written by Frank Merrick.

Here are some numbers from the FIRST POWER UP season we wrapped up in April.

30,000,000+
Minutes Twitch viewers spent watching official FIRST Robotics Competition events on FIRST Twitch channels

Total points scored in non-practice matches

1,150,000+
Views during events on FIRST Robotics Competition Twitch channels

69,000+
Attendees at FIRST Championship

Power ups played

Motor controllers used*

Non-practice matches played

Encoders used*

Teams not coding in C++, Java, or LabVIEW*

FIRST Robotics Competition field sets in use worldwide

8 minutes 4 seconds
Average match cycle time

4 minutes 58.027 seconds

Fastest recorded match cycle time, Wisconsin Regional Match Q50

And Finally, 205

Days until Kickoff for the 2019 game DESTINATION: DEEP SPACE!

Frank

* The FIRST Robotics Competition software has a feature called ‘usage reporting’ that tracks what WPILib objects are created in each team's code and reports that data back to the field when the robot is connected. Here’s the full set of usage data from the 2018 season, and some notes from Kevin O’Connor, FIRST Robotics Competition Robotics Engineer:
  • The data has been semi-anonymized. Team numbers have been replaced with rookie years and the data has been resorted so teams are not in order by team number.
  • We can only track the objects teams create in code. If a team creates extra motor controllers that aren't on the robot, they will still be captured by this system. If a team creates motor controller objects of the wrong type, that wrong type will be captured by this system.
  • Counted objects and TRUE/FALSE show the largest number of any given object used in any one match (i.e. if a Robot had 2 Encoders in match 1 and 3 Encoders in match 7, 3 will be reported). Language and Framework report what was used in the last recorded match.
  • Some objects naturally result in double counting (Encoders use Digital Inputs).

Studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology
FTC/FTC Field Reset, FTC FTAA

Join the FRC Discord!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)
Team Role: Mentor

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] 2018 Season by the Numbers

Any team with rookie year 2000 and coding in python want to own up to using 212 PIDController's? I'm a bit curious

Last edited by gerthworm : 06-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Classic
no team

Fields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to behold

I'm curious what other languages teams are using and what support is out there for those languages.

♪ 99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs ♫
Take one down, patch it around
108 little bugs in the code ♫ ♪ ♫
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

"Anonymized" data is more anonymous for some teams than others...

Is there a larger "real world" lesson here?
Nah...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
AKA: Rick O'Donnell
FRC #2876 (Devilbotz)

Rookie Year: 2011
rwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud ofrwodonnell has much to be proud of

I find the number of encoders (2481) to be the biggest surprise. I would have expected a lot more. And I wonder if the sub 5-minute turnaround is the fastest since Aerial Assist.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
The Stupid District
AKA: Justin
FRC #5254 (HYPE)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2012
jtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields View Post
I'm curious what other languages teams are using and what support is out there for those languages.
The other languages are almost entirely Python, and there are 2 teams using "Unknown" languages (rookie years 2001 and 2002). There was a .NET port of wpilib floating around a couple of years ago, not sure where that left off.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:46 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields View Post
401 Copperhead Robotics as well as a few other teams program in Kotlin, a JVM language that is cleaner than Java. Plus it doesn't have null pointer exceptions. Check out their code here:

https://github.com/team401

Python is also supported through the the wpilib port RobotPy, maintained by virtuald. I think most of those 66 teams were using python. They say the best language is the language your team knows, so my team will be joining the python ranks next year.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodonnell View Post
I find the number of encoders (2481) to be the biggest surprise. I would have expected a lot more. And I wonder if the sub 5-minute turnaround is the fastest since Aerial Assist.
It doesn't count encoders connected to Talons. We had 7 but it shows up as zero.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM
GRIP/Shuffleboard/WPILib. 2084 alum
FRC #2084

Rookie Year: 2010
SamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant future

64 teams were using Python. The remaining two were probably using C#. Kotlin (and all other JVM languages) will be reported as Java so that doesn't show up in the "other language" data.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
401 Copperhead Robotics as well as a few other teams program in Kotlin, a JVM language that is cleaner than Java. Plus it doesn't have null pointer exceptions. Check out their code here:

https://github.com/team401

Python is also supported through the the wpilib port RobotPy, maintained by virtuald. I think most of those 66 teams were using python. They say the best language is the language your team knows, so my team will be joining the python ranks next year.
It should be noted that Kotlin probably shows up as Java to the usage reporting, since it still uses wpilibj.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM
AKA: Shadaj Laddad
FRC #0846 (The Funky Monkeys)
Team Role: Programmer

shadaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
Kotlin and other JVM languages like Scala, which was used by my team the past two years (https://github.com/team846/potassium), unfortunately aren't included in the count of teams using non-standard languages. The statistics for those are based on language IDs that WPILib reports, so any robot code that uses the WPILib Java libraries will just show up as a Java robot.

Fun aside, our Scala code this year technically wasn't even JVM based. We reimplemented WPILib in Scala (https://github.com/Team846/scala-native-wpilib) so that we could compile it to native code with Scala Native. But we never changed what language ID the rewrite reports so we still show up as a Java bot.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM
FRC #5550

rlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodonnell View Post
I find the number of encoders (2481) to be the biggest surprise. I would have expected a lot more.
I'm not sure it is counting encoders connected directly to the Talons.

Edit: Looks like mman1506 beat me to it.

Last edited by rlance : 06-14-2018 at 04:03 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM
CD Off-season...
AKA: Brennan Bibic
FRC #4476 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S.)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
BrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrennanB has a reputation beyond repute

Some stats I whipped together.

Motor controller data seems pretty weird still/labeled strangely. Not 100% I got it all sorted out. I also didn't get the same total # of motor controllers as FIRST did, but it was close.

Found it pretty funny that more teams are using Jaguars than are using Nidec motors.

Also to the three teams using 16 solenoids... Wow that's crazy

4476's personal team data (or what I believe to be) seems kinda sketchy for some things. Unsure of the data's integrity.

92 events - W.A.F.F.L.E.S. #4476 YouTube Channel - 69,315.2 Kilometers
FRC|> 2009-2012 (K-Botics #2809) | 2013-2018 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S. Community Robotics #4476) <|FRC
FLL|> 2006-2018 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S. #105) <|FLL | VRC|> 2010-2013, 2015-2016 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S. #4476) <|VRC
“Skills are cheap. Passion is priceless.”Gary Vaynerchuk

Last edited by BrennanB : 06-14-2018 at 04:10 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://github.com/wpilibsuite/allwpilib/pull/989

Still waiting on our official language to be supported.

For reasons that are entirely unclear* to me, we are listed as a LabVIEW team... definitely not this year. You can find us on line 352.

*Unclear like a bug in some janky reporting code.
Clarke's Laws
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM
AKA: Colin Sherman
FRC #1710 (The Ravonics Revolution)
Team Role: CAD

Csherm is a jewel in the roughCsherm is a jewel in the roughCsherm is a jewel in the rough

All but 9 teams are missing out on the biggest thing in robotics since wheels. What a shame

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: