OCCRA
Go to Post No email, no telephone, no FIRST. I can't wait.... - RoboMom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
[FRC Blog] Manchester Kickoff and a Second Regional in Turkey

https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...urkey-regional
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC Blog

Manchester Kickoff
Some in the community have asked if there will still be a full competition field at the Manchester Kickoff, even though, with the end of our Field Builder Program, no other Kickoff will have physical fields of any kind.

The short answer is yes; there will still be a full competition field in Manchester. It will be used during the Kickoff broadcast to help all teams watching get a sense for what the field is like. The longer answer is there will be a field, but unlike in prior years, teams attending the Manchester Kickoff will no longer be allowed on the field. Teams at the event will be allowed to view the field from the perimeter but will not be allowed on the carpet or to interact with field elements. We are instituting this change to make the situation as fair as possible for teams too far from Manchester to be there in person.

We recognize this means some teams may have second thoughts about attending the Manchester Kickoff, or may not send as many team members as they have in the past. We hope we will still have a good-sized crowd. As well as still being the only place to see a real field (even if you can’t touch it), it’s the only place to see (and interact with) the real Dean and Woodie, as well as participate in all the excitement that is the Manchester Kickoff.

As with any other significant change we make, we expect to learn from experience and modify our approach as necessary in the coming years.

Second Regional in Turkey

Turkey is growing FIRST Robotics Competition teams very quickly! As of today, they have the third greatest number of teams of any country in the world, behind only the USA and Canada. They have so many teams that they proposed, and FIRST HQ is supporting, the addition of a second Regional, back to back with the first, in Istanbul for the 2019 season. A huge congratulations to the Fikret YŁksel Foundation for their amazing success in spreading the FIRST message and a huge thank you for their generous sponsorship of these Regionals!

A big welcome to the second Regional in Turkey, the Bosphorus Regional, March 5 to March 7, 2019!

Frank

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery
Re: [FRC Blog] Manchester Kickoff and a Second Regional in Turkey

On one hand, yes, this change is more "fair" to all teams regarding the type of field interactions they get at each kickoff event.

On the other hand, it does so by dragging down the resources available to ALL teams. Machester kickoff teams have always had an edge in the field available to them, but several teams have made a concerted effort to record videos and interactions of official field elemetns and game pieces. I will miss that resource.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with this as long as they follow up with an announcement that the team drawings will be better than ever and that they'll be putting a bigger focus on field videos this year.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM
FRC #0360 (The Revolution)

Rookie Year: 2005
AlexBurchard has a spectacular aura aboutAlexBurchard has a spectacular aura about

Who's ready for a back-to-back all out dance party in İstanbul this year! 6 days of mad fun! <3. 2-4, and 5-7 March are gonna be rockin'!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
On one hand, yes, this change is more "fair" to all teams regarding the type of field interactions they get at each kickoff event.

On the other hand, it does so by dragging down the resources available to ALL teams. Machester kickoff teams have always had an edge in the field available to them, but several teams have made a concerted effort to record videos and interactions of official field elemetns and game pieces. I will miss that resource.

I just sent an email to Frank expressing my concerns with this decision, and I encourage anyone who doesn't like this decision to do the same. The teams I've worked with have always relied heavily on the videos, photos and experiences provided by the teams in attendance to inform our decisions and prototypes in the early stages of the season, and I think this change hurts far more teams that it benefits by being "fair".
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

I remember some of the most useful resources in the early days of each season was watching the team-recorded and posted videos of the fields from Manchester. Alongside the official field tour videos, these were extremely useful in getting a sense of scale and seeing the small details of the field. I'll really miss these publicly beneficial tools.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Mentor
AKA: Stephen des Jardins
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Rookie Year: 2007
Big Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
I remember some of the most useful resources in the early days of each season was watching the team-recorded and posted videos of the fields from Manchester. Alongside the official field tour videos, these were extremely useful in getting a sense of scale and seeing the small details of the field. I'll really miss these publicly beneficial tools.
Sent a note to Frank. I also suggested that they add a team walkthrough, by a known team attending, to the standard NASA broadcast. So we all get access to a team perspective.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

I have never watched more than a couple minutes of "team" videos since the creation of the Field Tour videos. So I'm not too concerned about that.

However... the creation of a second Turkey regional AFTER many Turkish teams have registered for 2nd events in the US... and AFTER all the Chinese teams have been relocated to events in the US is a little perturbing. Seems like it would have been a great option for some of those teams who were already planning to do an out-of-country event if they had known in advance.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
However... the creation of a second Turkey regional AFTER many Turkish teams have registered for 2nd events in the US... and AFTER all the Chinese teams have been relocated to events in the US is a little perturbing. Seems like it would have been a great option for some of those teams who were already planning to do an out-of-country event if they had known in advance.
From the sounds of it, this wasnt exactly well known to the RD's beforehand either, and was only just approved.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
This is still four months in advance. Teams are still allowed to change their registration.

Never though I'd see someone complain about adding more events in areas that have the demand for them...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM
FRC #0360 (The Revolution)

AlexBurchard has a spectacular aura aboutAlexBurchard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I have never watched more than a couple minutes of "team" videos since the creation of the Field Tour videos. So I'm not too concerned about that.

For many Turkish teams - the ones that can afford it (and that number is shrinking due to the Turkish economy ) this is an incredible opportunity. I don't know if American student value travel and seeing new places very highly, I don't remember valuing it that highly when I was a student, though I did it anyways, and it well, changed my life I suppose. If I hadn't travelled and fallen in love with İstanbul, I suppose I'd be working in Seattle as an architect as I had planned (and maybe Turkey would still have like 8 teams instead of >90).

Anyways - Travel is huge for them.

But, even with a few of them traveling (I'm sure some of them will retreat as they realize its unaffordable ) There's 92 Turkish teams at my last check. We like to welcome international teams here in Turkey, so while welcoming our foreign guests, we have too many teams in Turkey to handle them all here (even with two events). And many of them are rookies (something like 36 rookies so far, with new ones singing up each day).

The timing is coincident with the conclusion of the 2018 Turkish Robotics Off-Season and team growth within Turkey, and nothing else really.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 06:35 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post

In a rare show of solidarity, I agree with you on this.
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 06:35 PM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
Rangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be neat if we could nominate someone who attends the Manchester kickoff to be allowed on the carpet to film, take pictures, and interact with the field. I understand FIRST produces those field tour videos but those videos are often times a bit too scripted. Having a person interact with the field who had no prior information or interaction on video usually gave a lot of insight on things to watch out for at competition.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 06:50 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)

BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting update.

I've been fortunate enough to attend the Manchester kickoff every year since 2011. Its special to be in FIRST's backyard and have this experience available for teams who can then share with the broader community. Each year there are posts on CD that get clarification from people like myself and others who can provide direction for how field elements are built, elements interact, or other items you can only experience up close. Others have done a great job of sharing videos, pictures, and other forms of media of the field for teams to see. It will be interesting to see how this update changes things for the FRC community when the Field Tour videos don't show all of the "gotcha" items on the field.

Its going to be impossible to create a level playing field in FRC and this update seems to be trying to solve one of the lesser/odder inequities in FRC.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group

Last edited by BrendanB : 11-02-2018 at 06:54 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2018, 06:52 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangel View Post
I think it would be neat if we could nominate someone who attends the Manchester kickoff to be allowed on the carpet to film, take pictures, and interact with the field. I understand FIRST produces those field tour videos but those videos are often times a bit too scripted. Having a person interact with the field who had no prior information or interaction on video usually gave a lot of insight on things to watch out for at competition.
Member of the most recent CA team (1311 this year) might accompany FRC staff who produced the tour videos onto the Kickoff field just after reveal, to touch the elements and ask questions. Most of the answers will probably be "that's covered in the tour videos," and it will be interesting to see if the team notices something that staff forgot to include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
In a rare show of solidarity, I agree with you on this.
Unicorns prance along a rainbow bridge, crossing a cultural chasm ...

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: