OCCRA
Go to Post When we find bugs at work, we don't ask "who wrote that section of code?" We ask "Who is the best, most knowledgeable person to work on fixing this bug?" - Jon Stratis [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #361   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM
FRC #2960 (automation nation)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2005
bernieseaholm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CNC Routers for FRC Robotics more misting

So all of my parts came in, thanks Robochair. We are planning to mount the mister, needle valve and tee near the spindle, and then run the tubes through the energy chain back to a reservoir under machine. I know there are many ways to probably do this, but do you see any trouble with what I am describing?
  #362   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CNC Routers for FRC Robotics

Hello all,

I recently got a budget approved which might allow for purchase of an Omio X8 USB.

Before I decide, I would like some help from folks on a few items as I have 0 experience with CNC routers or operating cnc equipment in general.

1) what software will I need (aside from a CAD package, we use OnShape). I would prefer to get free software if possible. Or, something very easy to pick up.

2) what kinda of accessories will I need to machine plastics, and very rarely 1/8-1/4" aluminum 2d parts? This doesn't include custom gearbox plates, but mostly gussets, intake plates, etc.

2a) this includes collet and cutting tool suggestions

3) which spindle do I need? I am assuming a water cooled spindle would require purchasing more auxiliary equipment. Is the air cooled spindle better for me?

4) I'm assuming I will not really need work holding as I'm planning to only run 2D parts. Do you suggest anything else that might be handy?

If this is better answered via PM please let me know. I am a complete newcomer to this stuff.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #363   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 08:16 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

For background, 2220 acquired an Omio late August/early September and have been learning how to use it for the last few months. We've still got a long ways to go but we've done a bit of stuff on it and are starting to get comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Hello all,

I recently got a budget approved which might allow for purchase of an Omio X8 USB.

Before I decide, I would like some help from folks on a few items as I have 0 experience with CNC routers or operating cnc equipment in general.

1) what software will I need (aside from a CAD package, we use OnShape). I would prefer to get free software if possible. Or, something very easy to pick up.
We use Fusion360 for CAM. It is easy to export STEP files from Onshape and then do the CAM in Fusion, and Fusion has a nice simulation function that helps you understand the order of what it will do. Other than that, Omio gives you a sketchy Mach3 copy that is perfectly functional.

Quote:
2) what kinda of accessories will I need to machine plastics, and very rarely 1/8-1/4" aluminum 2d parts? This doesn't include custom gearbox plates, but mostly gussets, intake plates, etc.

I would pretty much stick to 4mm Huhao endmills off AliExpress. We bought 4x4x12 single flute endmills, basically these ones. Dirt cheap, and fully capable of hogging through aluminum. Get the 4mm collet from Omio and you're golden.

You may also want to get short machining-length drill bits in the sizes you want and associated collets. If you don't have a shop vac or compressor you'll probably want to be running air either either blowing or sucking the chips away. Both can be done successfully.

You probably don't need a coolant setup.

Quote:
3) which spindle do I need? I am assuming a water cooled spindle would require purchasing more auxiliary equipment. Is the air cooled spindle better for me?
Water cooled pretty much just requires a Home Depot bucket full of water and a few drops of something to kill anything living. Set it up, seal the bucket, and you can forget about it for a few months. Remember to check it periodically. The ship pretty much everything other than the bucket and water (pump, tubes, et cetera).

Quote:
4) I'm assuming I will not really need work holding as I'm planning to only run 2D parts. Do you suggest anything else that might be handy?
[/quote]

I'd probably cut an MDF board to size, and then largely use screws/tape/glue/whatever to hold to that. If you might do tubes, I'd probably recommend some small vices like are mentioned earlier in this thread.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #364   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM
FRC #3061 (Huskie Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
Adam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the rough

@RoboChair
Thanks for the information, this was very helpful!

Could you contact me to discuss feeds and speeds for cutting aluminum 2x1 tubing from Vexpro, or please post a link to your video series. We were not able to find the video series.

Thanks!

team3061.org
Check out our Open Source
  #365   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CNC Routers for FRC Robotics more misting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieseaholm View Post
So all of my parts came in, thanks Robochair. We are planning to mount the mister, needle valve and tee near the spindle, and then run the tubes through the energy chain back to a reservoir under machine. I know there are many ways to probably do this, but do you see any trouble with what I am describing?
That's how I set ours up.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #366   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 09:33 PM
AKA: rick page
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)

Rookie Year: 2008
page2067 is a jewel in the roughpage2067 is a jewel in the roughpage2067 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Akash!

We recently obtained an OMIO X6 (same as X8 but a little smaller) and also had/have little experience with CNC. So far we are delighted with the purchase.

We are using Solidworks for CAD, HSMworks for the CAM (gcode maker) and software called MACH 3 drives the machine - it comes with the OMIO (as long as you select the USB variant). All software has been free (or included with the OMIO)

After ordering it online with a credit card the box(es) appeared in my driveway in about 8 days.

It took only about a 1/2 hour to set up following a video - very simple.

We have cut some sample gearbox plates etc out of .125" to .0625" aluminum (6061) and a couple tries at plastic - easier.

We clamp a MDF wasteboard on the surface and then just use screws to hold the workpiece to the board.

We got the water cooled spindle - it comes with pump etc you just need to get a bucket and some distilled water and antifreexe.

The machine came with a couple collets and bits - so far we are mostly using 4 mm single flute bits from aliexpress - but getting some through OMIO with the initial purchase may be a good idea.

If you would like you can come down to our shop and check it out. Actually our most experienced user is a student - but we are all learning together.
There was a little learning to set up the calibration of the x, y and z axes but between this thread and some youtube videos was pretty straightforward.

Good luck and again PM me if you would like to come down sometime and check it out.

#367   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM
FRC #3647 (Millennium Falcons)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
juju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_P View Post
@RoboChair
Thanks for the information, this was very helpful!

Could you contact me to discuss feeds and speeds for cutting aluminum 2x1 tubing from Vexpro, or please post a link to your video series. We were not able to find the video series.

Thanks!
Not robochair, but on our VR-5050 we run:

Slotting: I typically push 35-40ipm at 21k rpm 1/8 doc (all the way through a thickwall tube) with a 3/16 single flute upcut solid carbide endmill. Here's a short vid in action.

Pocket: I can do 65ipm at 21k rpm with a 1/16doc with the same 3/16 endmill. Here's a short vid. (In the vid the endmill is a bit dull so it's not cutting as clean as it usually does... oops).

CNC Router and HSMWorks Series
  #368   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2067 View Post

Hi Akash!

We recently obtained an OMIO X6 (same as X8 but a little smaller) and also had/have little experience with CNC. So far we are delighted with the purchase.

We are using Solidworks for CAD, HSMworks for the CAM (gcode maker) and software called MACH 3 drives the machine - it comes with the OMIO (as long as you select the USB variant). All software has been free (or included with the OMIO)

After ordering it online with a credit card the box(es) appeared in my driveway in about 8 days.

It took only about a 1/2 hour to set up following a video - very simple.

We have cut some sample gearbox plates etc out of .125" to .0625" aluminum (6061) and a couple tries at plastic - easier.

We clamp a MDF wasteboard on the surface and then just use screws to hold the workpiece to the board.

We got the water cooled spindle - it comes with pump etc you just need to get a bucket and some distilled water and antifreexe.

The machine came with a couple collets and bits - so far we are mostly using 4 mm single flute bits from aliexpress - but getting some through OMIO with the initial purchase may be a good idea.

If you would like you can come down to our shop and check it out. Actually our most experienced user is a student - but we are all learning together.
There was a little learning to set up the calibration of the x, y and z axes but between this thread and some youtube videos was pretty straightforward.

Good luck and again PM me if you would like to come down sometime and check it out.

Thanks! PM sent

['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
  #369   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:05 AM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Here is our entire tool library we use for our VeloxCNC and Omio.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #370   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboChair View Post
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Here is our entire tool library we use for our VeloxCNC and Omio.
This is dope. Thanks a ton!

#371   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2018, 10:19 PM
FRC #2611 (Jacktown Vectors)

MrRiedemanJACC has a spectacular aura aboutMrRiedemanJACC has a spectacular aura about

So, I ran across this CNC Router from CNC Parts Online when another team had posted it to their facebook page. Anyone use this one yet? Looks to be a good competitor to the Velox CNC from what I can tell. Or am I missing something?

https://www.cncpartsonline.com/product/orion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiVnNmJvLQ
  #372   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Registered Muser
no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiedemanJACC View Post
So, I ran across this CNC Router from CNC Parts Online when another team had posted it to their facebook page. Anyone use this one yet? Looks to be a good competitor to the Velox CNC from what I can tell. Or am I missing something?

https://www.cncpartsonline.com/product/orion/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiVnNmJvLQ
Looking at the specs, the base model is pretty lacking. 1018 square rails are very poor, though they offer better options as upgrades. Build volume is large, surprisingly so, but the lead screws, guide rails, and spindle are quite lacking.

I'd recommend looking at a ShopSabre 23. Cutting area is 30"x40" compared to the Orion's 32"x60", but everything else is a definite upgrade. Ball screws, linear guides, a better spindle, and a trusted brand. The Orion is a DIY kit with 0(!) reviews. And they cost pretty much the same price. The Orion might be good as a frame kit to build on top of, but as a full CNC router, it's severely lacking for that $7500 price tag.
  #373   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 12:29 AM
FRC #0670
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2015
Ben L is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_beans View Post
Slotting: I typically push 35-40ipm at 21k rpm 1/8 doc (all the way through a thickwall tube) with a 3/16 single flute upcut solid carbide endmill. Here's a short vid in action.

Pocket: I can do 65ipm at 21k rpm with a 1/16doc with the same 3/16 endmill. Here's a short vid. (In the vid the endmill is a bit dull so it's not cutting as clean as it usually does... oops).
Why are you slotting deeper than you are pocketing? I always learned (from experience and the internet) that it is generally a good practice to make deep cuts with low radial engagement whenever possible and only use a shallow cuts if you are slotting.
  #374   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 12:43 AM
FRC #3647 (Millennium Falcons)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
juju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L View Post
Why are you slotting deeper than you are pocketing? I always learned (from experience and the internet) that it is generally a good practice to make deep cuts with low radial engagement whenever possible and only use a shallow cuts if you are slotting.
Having a higher DOC with a lower IPM improves tool life over a lower DOC and higher IPM - IE: Slotting at 70ipm with a 0.08" DOC vs Slotting at 30ipm with a 0.16" DOC. Also, the pocketing show is a half pocket so my final depth is actually 1/16", if I were pocketing something thicker I would most likely be running a 0.1 to 1/8" DOC.

CNC Router and HSMWorks Series
  #375   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 06:47 AM
FRC #2611 (Jacktown Vectors)

MrRiedemanJACC has a spectacular aura aboutMrRiedemanJACC has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Looking at the specs, the base model is pretty lacking. 1018 square rails are very poor, though they offer better options as upgrades. Build volume is large, surprisingly so, but the lead screws, guide rails, and spindle are quite lacking.

I'd recommend looking at a ShopSabre 23. Cutting area is 30"x40" compared to the Orion's 32"x60", but everything else is a definite upgrade. Ball screws, linear guides, a better spindle, and a trusted brand. The Orion is a DIY kit with 0(!) reviews. And they cost pretty much the same price. The Orion might be good as a frame kit to build on top of, but as a full CNC router, it's severely lacking for that $7500 price tag.
Thanks for pointing that out! That does look like a heck of a machine. I know you had mentioned that brand earlier in the thread, but it was a huge machine. So I wrongly assumed that's all they build. The RC4 looks like a good one too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: