OCCRA
Go to Post Technician: "Guys this could be our last match for the season, I think we need to JUST SEND IT!" - Dm_Fronek_868 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM
AKA: Bärin
FTC #6962 (BnL Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2013
BrooklynTony198 is a jewel in the roughBrooklynTony198 is a jewel in the roughBrooklynTony198 is a jewel in the rough
Question Your Thoughts on H-Drive Drivetrains for FTC

I was wondering if anyone had opinions on H-Drive drivetrains for FTC.

If you don't know what H-Drive is, imagine a standard tank drive using omni-wheels for all the wheels and place another omni-wheel in the center of the robot perpendicular to all the other drive wheels. This allows for holonomic drive to be achieved while still offering some of the pushing and power advantages of tank drive.

For whatever reason I see nobody use this system in FTC, even though it needs 3 motors to have independent control instead of 4 motors like mecanum. It seems strange to me that, despite H-drive's cons and the usually "no defense/pushing robots" rules of FTC, nobody seems to use it and instead opts for mecanum.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking of designing an H-Drive chassis for next year's FTC season (if the game next year makes it viable) but want to know if there are any specific reasons teams seem to avoid it.

Also, if any Hawaii FTC teams see this, good luck and have fun at tomorrow's FTC Regional Tournament! Let's make a 'Ruckus' tomorrow!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 05:38 PM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud of
Re: Your Thoughts on H-Drive Drivetrains for FTC

I have actually seen FTC and VEX robots use H drive, the biggest problem with it is that it takes quite a bit of additional space in the frame. Mechanum drive leaves the middle of the frame open for any mechanisms or electronics you may want to use.

play is the highest form of research-Einstein
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 05:40 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Mecanum is simple and works really well on the floor tile.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Shock the system.
AKA: Boom.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargus111111111 View Post
I have actually seen FTC and VEX robots use H drive, the biggest problem with it is that it takes quite a bit of additional space in the frame. Mechanum drive leaves the middle of the frame open for any mechanisms or electronics you may want to use.
This is generally the biggest reason. The other is that it's generally a challenge (not impossible, just a challenge) to get all five wheels to apply the right amount of pressure to strafe.

But, if your design absolutely positively needs strafing and five motors on the manipulator, you gotta do what you gotta do.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: