OCCRA
Go to Post Part of FRC and design/engineering is perseverance. Keep your chin up, your thoughts positive, and have respect for your work and the work of your teammates. - Nathan_Fraser [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 10:38 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV
Protopipe - Spectrum 3847

We have been working on creating a system to allow us to quickly and easily design mechanisms that let us prototype game tasks.

What we have come up with is called "Protopipe". It's an inexpensive system that lets you 3D print connectors for 1/2" PVC to easily build prototypes, test them, and iterate them. We haven't run it through a season yet so there is almost certainly room for improvement but we thought other teams might like to use it as well.

Blog Post: https://blog.spectrum3847.org/2018/1...ng-system.html

Explanation and Notes: https://goo.gl/3pqA4d

3D Files: https://grabcad.com/library/spectrum-protopipe-1

Spoiler for GIFs of the prototypes:

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by AllenGregoryIV : 12-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.
Re: Protopipe - Spectrum 3847

This is really cool! Reminds me of the "Chaos Tower" toys I had as a kid. Anticipating where and how to build adjust-ability into prototypes was always a weak point in processes I lead -- will definitely consider this in the future if working with a team with ample 3d printer access!

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018-2019: Other projects/finally finishing school/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 12:32 AM
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2011
Nick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to behold

This looks awesome, thanks so much for sharing this. I can't wait to give it a try, I could really change how we approach prototyping.

Check out Team 3512's Website!

Like us on Facebook!

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 01:01 AM
FRC #4915 (Spartronics)

Rookie Year: 2016
chrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to behold

Really cool! I can see how these will make prototype iteration faster.

What have you found to be the advantages of working with PVC vs. 2x4s or aluminum tube (other than cost for that last) for prototyping?

Anyone ever design a system (including some sliding elements for adjustability) like this for 2x4 prototyping?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 01:17 AM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrin View Post

What have you found to be the advantages of working with PVC vs. 2x4s or aluminum tube (other than cost for that last) for prototyping?

Anyone ever design a system (including some sliding elements for adjustability) like this for 2x4 prototyping?
We didn't add a table of contents but we did address this at the bottom of the document.

Quote:
Why we didnít choose other options
2x4s or other lumber
  • Prototyping with wood works but making bearings or slides, etc. takes a long time and you have to manually lay it out and drill the holes, etc. 2x4s are often to large for a lot of tasks. Cutting them requires using the miter saw (chop saw) which is more difficult than a simple manual PVC cutter and harder for new students to use. We will still use them for certain things but the pipe is much lighter and faster to work with.
  • Wooden Prototype Examples - https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=160035
VEX Versatube or 1x1 aluminum
  • Versatube is great but itís not affordable for a lot of fast prototypes. Also you canít just snap things on to versastube, pivots and shafts are also harder.
REV extrusion or 80/20
  • Added benefit of being able to add things in the middle and slide certain things over versatube but definitely more expensive and harder to cut to size than the ĹĒ PVC pipe.

Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 01:34 AM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrin View Post

Answered in the document, mainly being the larger sizes were challenging to fit everything in. You likely could do 1x1s (or other sizes) if you want, and would have to fitting out a conversion.

And interesting stuff. Now just sell a standard kit of protopipe fittings (after a year of testing, i guess). Also, how many pieces of each fitting did you find you needed (or which ones were most popular)?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
And interesting stuff. Now just sell a standard kit of protopipe fittings (after a year of testing, i guess). Also, how many pieces of each fitting did you find you needed (or which ones were most popular)?
We won't be selling anything, the whole point is it's cheap to make yourself.

For your second question, that depends on the application, look at the examples we provided to see which connectors were used the most in each one. The corner joint is useful as it can be used to connect 2 or 3 pipes so we printed the most of those so far.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 02:14 PM
FRC #4159 (Cardinalbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
Nick.B is an unknown quantity at this point

4159 worked on a similar system involving tube connectors (Aluminum not 3d printed) over the summer and the start of this year. We had to abandon the project due to time constraints but I really think a lot of the work we did could be converted to your system using 3D printed parts.

This was one of my favorite parts that we worked on.
https://gyazo.com/a7385c0df718f6d871546b03f583e7d1
https://gyazo.com/da875c9541ffa9d0451de04d6db9491f

It will allow 2 tubes to freely pivot between an angle you could set. It uses a shoulder bolt and some CNC milled parts that could be replaced with 3d printed stuff. One interesting application would be the intakes like the madtown design from this year.

Other stuff we worked on/had ideas about:
2 way/3 way fixed connectors
2 way fixed connectors that you could adjust the angle of
Linear/Rotational Motion
Elevator Rigging
More stuff I'm forgetting

I would love to help you guys continue this project and build it into something even larger. I've always thought that more could be done in the area of low cost, rapid prototyping. If you want any CAD files or an explanation of things I've mentioned please lmk.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 07:12 PM
FRC #4159 (Cardinalbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
Nick.B is an unknown quantity at this point

4159 also worked on a tube based prototyping system over the summer/during the fall but unfortunately, the project was abandoned due to time constraints.

One of my favorite concepts we came up with was the idea of a tube connector that could pivot between 2 angles that you can adjust using a shoulder screw.

Pictures v
https://gyazo.com/da875c9541ffa9d0451de04d6db9491f
https://gyazo.com/f51d27de1d7d0dd66dad2db194c968c7

Other concepts include

-Adjustable fixed angle connectors
-2,3 & 4 way 90-degree connectors
-Bushing based sliders
-Cascade/Continuous Elevator rigging
-Adjustable angle connectors that are also bearing mounts
-Hex inserts for the rollers
-More stuff I'm forgetting off the top of my head

We still have all the CAD files and although our system was made for metal I'm sure it can be converted to 3D printable designs. Would you guys be interested in some sort of a collaboration? 4159 would love to help with this project! I can provide CAD files/explanation for our designs as well.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Engineering Coach
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.B View Post
We still have all the CAD files and although our system was made for metal I'm sure it can be converted to 3D printable designs. Would you guys be interested in some sort of a collaboration? 4159 would love to help with this project! I can provide CAD files/explanation for our designs as well.
I'm not exactly sure what type of collaboration you are looking for. The entire system is open source, so you are more than welcome to use and modify the system and if you would like publish changes or additional parts, feel free to post links to any additions in this thread.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM
FRC #5256 (The Atomics)

Rookie Year: 2014
Brian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond repute

This is very similar to industrial building systems like Creform or Fast Tube, but it's scaled down to a more practical size for FRC and is within the means of most teams costwise. Nice work!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
And interesting stuff. Now just sell a standard kit of protopipe fittings (after a year of testing, i guess).
FWIW, similar pieces are available commercially. I noticed "saddle tees" at Lowe's yesterday when shopping for stanchion materials.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: