OCCRA
Go to Post Seats are seats, we're all watching the same thing. - katiyeh07 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 11:13 AM
FRC #2168

tjsully69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Accounting software advice

As the treasurer of my local FRC team, I am looking to move away from strictly using Excel into an easy to use accounting software. Would be very interested to see what has worked well for other teams. Appreciate the input!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM
AKA: Paul Rensing
FRC #2877 (LigerBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
prensing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Accounting software advice

We have been using Wave (https://www.waveapps.com) You can get a free account. I am not directly involved, but our accounting is done by a CPA, and he is OK with it. Actually, we are migrating from old Wave to new Wave currently (upgraded version with no direct migration).
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

We had QuickBooks online for a few years, but it was expensive and cumbersome and we ultimately went back to using spreadsheets.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2018, 01:18 PM
FRC #2168

tjsully69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone used Mint?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2018, 08:07 PM
AKA: Kelly Scheurer
FRC #5499 (The Bay Orangutans)

Rookie Year: 2016
kellyissure is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used Mint for personal expenses, not necessarily for keeping track of team funds.

5499's purchases are usually done through different people buying materials then requesting reimbursements. This is where using Mint doesn't really work for us, as Mint relies on the individual bank accounts to track expenses. It makes more sense for the team to use Excel.

"To Advise is Not to Compel" - Anton Chekhov
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll confess up front that I'm the wrong guy to ask. I was treasurer of my church for a couple of years and did it all (donations, pledge tracking, federal donation letter tracking and generation, operational expenses, about a hundred budget lines, several dozen specific purpose account tracking) in excel. I even had excel generate postscript files to overprint on our check templates, pulling data from the payables tab (I did have to manually tell one of the cells which check to start). Of course, all monthly and annual reports needed by the parish and diocese were automatically generated. OBTW, I've never figured out Excel macros; this was all formula based.

OK, geezer moment of privilege - anyone else out there who spent more than a few days with the postscript "red books"? Feel free to respond by PM if you don't want to admit it publicly, or clog this thread.

At the other end, if you do decide to stick with Excel, feel free to PM me some questions and examples; always willing to help.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 12-10-2018 at 09:36 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not an accountant and you are setting out to build an accounting system for your organization, one of the first steps (after you're done kicking yourself for getting into this situation) is to consider whether you think in terms of cash basis accounting or accrual basis accounting. This decision will shape how your system works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: