OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is here to reach the affluent, already college-bound students with boundless resources; it is also here to reach the poverty-stricken urban and rural students who don't see a diploma as worthwhile, and everybody in between. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2017, 04:17 PM
AKA: Karsten
FRC #5727 (Omegabytes)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2014
karken is an unknown quantity at this point
Pixy(CMUcam5) to RIOduino

So right now our team is trying to figure out if its possible to wire a Pixy camera to a RoboRio by going through a RIOduino instead of a arduino that way it could be simply plugged into the RoboRio. However we are having trouble in finding a way, if its possible/worth it. I just wanted to ask if anybody has any advice in doing this.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Not Allowed Near Power Tools
AKA: Nick Schatz
FRC #3184 (Blaze Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

nickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud of
Re: Pixy(CMUcam5) to RIOduino

The RIOduino is pretty much an arduino with an MXP header if I recall correctly. Its default behavior is probably to be an i2c slave, which might cause trouble trying to read another device.

You could also hook it directly to the RIO's i2c, SPI, or USB ports. The downside to this is having to write your own driver code, but you can probably find some code another team has written for this.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Also 299 mentor
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics and Valkyrie Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used the RIOduino before but it does appear to be an Arduino with an MXP header, they even advertise it as such.
Communicating with the Pixy via the SPI interface should work using pretty much just Pixy SPI Arduino example code. It should not interfere with I2C/UART comms with the RoboRIO.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-05-2017, 11:17 AM
FRC #6420 (Fire Island Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

MuskieProgramme will become famous soon enough

I've used the RIODuino before, for controlling LEDs. UART/Serial should work just fine. Not sure about anything else, as I haven't used those.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Love/Hate Relationship with Swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

For vision this past year we used a regular arduino and a pixy. Pixy into arduino over SPI (ICSP) and then UART to the roboRIO. We actually started out using digital IO, a pin for left, one for right, and one for straight for peg alignment. While it was very primitive, even that worked well enough. UART was more flexible. We just sent over error values (in + pixels for right or - pixels for left) and the Rio pretty much did all of the logic from there with PID.

As far as rioduino, I suspect you can do a similar thing if you are able.to configure the connection to the roboRIO to he over serial. If it's set up as an I2C slave and can't be changed, maybe try using UART for the pixy. Check the documentation, as off the top of my head it is possible to connect the pixy to the arduino over UART.

2010-2011: FLL 11083 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Captain, Programming Lead, Driver, 2017 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Mentor
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Electron Tamer
AKA: Ken Pontbriant
FRC #0230 (Gaelhawks)

Rookie Year: 2012
electroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the rough

We've used the Pixy for 2 seasons now and connected it directly to the RoboRIO both times. In Stronghold we used 1 Pixy and the analog/digital X interface. Last season we used 2 of the Pixy sensors (one gear, one boiler) with both on a single I2C interface to the RoboRIO.

I'm not sure what an intermediate microcontroller does for you.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Strategist
AKA: The user formerly known as 'hill'
FRC #1746 (OTTO)

Rookie Year: 2005
Kellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond reputeKellen Hill has a reputation beyond repute

We also used two Pixys through I2C this past season. The diagrams below show how we wired it.

Here is a link to our GitHub account if you want to see the code used: https://github.com/FRC-Team1746/Steamworks-v1.0

I can point our programming team in this direction if you have any other questions.

1746 OTTO Lead Mentor: 2013-Present

Last edited by Kellen Hill : 10-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Laura Spoldi
FRC #0230 (Gaelhawks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
MamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant futureMamaSpoldi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
We've used the Pixy for 2 seasons now and connected it directly to the RoboRIO both times. In Stronghold we used 1 Pixy and the analog/digital X interface. Last season we used 2 of the Pixy sensors (one gear, one boiler) with both on a single I2C interface to the RoboRIO.

I'm not sure what an intermediate microcontroller does for you.
As Ken indicated Team 230 used the Pixy the last 2 years without any intervening arduino or other controller. Our C++ code* that facilitated the I2C interface we used last year (2017) can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/p/frc-team23...svn/HEAD/tree/

(*Note that this code was based on code posted on CD last year by Team 599).

Our C++ code we used to interface to the analog\digital interface in 2016 is here: https://sourceforge.net/p/frc-team23...ode/HEAD/tree/

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: