Go to Post ďI hope you all had a good weekend. If you didnít you can try again in five days.Ē -Honors Debate teacher - Joe J. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

Rookie Year: 2012
brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pick a mentor, any mentor...

At Detroit this past weekend, I met Roy from 5254. He immediately struck me as gracious, kind, and knowledgeable.
Definitely made my shortlist of mentors I'd love to poach.

Team 20, 2012-2014: 4 blue banners, 5 medals, and 9 team awards.
Missionary, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2014-2016: Colorado Denver South Mission.
Brigham Young University, 2016-present: Computer Science.
Team 6844, 2018-present: 2018 Utah RAS, 2018 Newton/Carver RHS.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

I put some thought into this.

Al Skierkiewicz

I actually got to visit with Wildstang and chat with Al a bit in Chicago during the early part of build season this year. Heís crazy knowledgeable, has a history with FRC that is unrivaled, and genuinely a great guy. I also suspect heíd fit in with 900 pretty well even though that might come as a shock to some.
Clarke's Laws
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Scouting Maniac
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynca View Post
IRI History features Mentor of the Year
2012: Brandon Holley (125)
2011: Jon Jack (1538)
2010: Jim Zondag (33)
2009: David Berggren (1538)
2008: Stephanie Thompson (1503)
2007: Mike Martus (47)
2006: Steve Florence (461)
2005: Marian Passmore (233)
2004: Scott Vierstra (829)
In addition:

2013: James Irvine, 2175
2014: Bob Bonczyk, 107
2015: Eyal Hershko, 1657
2016: Mike Dininny, 233
2017: Allen Gregory, 3847

I still stand by my answer of JVN, by the way.

Any questions, comments, concerns or smart remarks? PM me or email me at nomythicalbeast@gmail.com.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2018, 08:39 PM
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
NickCrispie is a jewel in the roughNickCrispie is a jewel in the roughNickCrispie is a jewel in the roughNickCrispie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
While we wouldn't end up on anybody's list, two other 3504 mentors and I essentially did this. We're grad students who joined the team this year and won't be around next year. It's a strange experience, because trying to change too much can backfire and trying to teach too much can result in too much information to grasp (and you won't be around to reinforce it later).

Yes, having new technical knowledge on your team for a year is great, and introducing new ideas and new ways of doing things is great. But I think the biggest impact a person can make in a single year is in team culture. Any team where all the members are constantly striving will do just fine.

That said, I do think a lot of the folks mentioned in this thread would make big positive impacts on team culture as well as technical excellence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
Cosign. A huge part of how a team operates is team culture, and you don't want to shake things up too fast in an established team. You can make small incremental changes/suggestions, but there's a huge component of building trust first.
I guess I've done this sort of thing twice now. The first time was really for just one competition: I helped out 1717 during the 2014 LA Regional (I had some school friends on the 2013 team that invited me along). The second time was this year with 3504, for a full season. In both cases, I wouldn't say I was critical to the team success, since both already had/have great students and mentors and a historically successful program, but I was still able to add value in key ways.

I have to echo what both Ben and Basel have said. A good way to get integrated well is to really listen to the team members, both the students and the mentors. Starting small and working with some individual students first can build up a level of trust that can be extended to other students later on. Ultimately you need people to vouch for you, whether that's implicitly or explicitly. Above all, respecting the existing infrastructure and people there is important; teams want to be helped, and not feel threatened or disrespected. That being said, teams are almost always willing to change for the better, so long as there is enough resources to support it.

When it comes to being on a team for a short period of time, I think it's best to focus on areas that could use improvement, that the team wants to improve in, and that you have some expertise in. It's hard to change things fast (and sometimes that's a good thing), so building on common goals is critical given limited time.

As for who I would poach, I've interacted with a lot of great mentors, a lot of whom have been mentioned already in this thread, but I'll throw out David Giandomenico from 846. He's fantastic at working with students and has great engineering knowledge to go with his incredible dedication.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2018, 09:54 PM
AKA: Kevin Swift's Biggest Fan
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
lcraig910 is on a distinguished road

Bill Beatty.
1997, 2001, 2002, 2004. Thatís the only explanation needed.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2018, 10:12 PM
AKA: Kevin Swift's Biggest Fan
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

lcraig910 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcraig910 View Post
Bill Beatty.
1997, 2001, 2002, 2004. Thatís the only explanation needed.
Just remembered he retired from 71 a few years ago. Gonna have to go with Paul Copioli, then. World champion drive coach of 217 in 06 and 08, and recently has helped 3310 be finalists at worlds 17 and newton finalists this year.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2018, 10:15 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomythicalbeast View Post
In addition:

2013: James Irvine, 2175
2014: Bob Bonczyk, 107
2015: Eyal Hershko, 1657
2016: Mike Dininny, 233
2017: Allen Gregory, 3847

I still stand by my answer of JVN, by the way.
Iím pretty sure Jim Irvine has moved on to volunteering all the time now, but if he was still active Iíd take him in a heartbeat. Hands down the nicest person Iíve met in FIRST, and thatís saying a lot. Also crazy knowledgeable and all around a great mentor. Incredibly inspiring person to be around. This is a guy who volunteers at literally every Minnesota FTC qualifier and won the Compass award this year at Champs. Honestly him and his entire family are great and itís no wonder 2175 has had a pretty fantastic run.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Scouting Maniac
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

Now that I’ve looked a little deeper, I’d like to put Brian Maher and PJ Lewalski out there. Both are pretty great guys if I say so myself.

Edit: Bren and Tae from 4476 are cool too I guess

Any questions, comments, concerns or smart remarks? PM me or email me at nomythicalbeast@gmail.com.

Last edited by nomythicalbeast : 05-21-2018 at 10:57 AM.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
AKA: Luke Brandes
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)
Team Role: CAD

KingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of lightKingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of lightKingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of lightKingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of lightKingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of lightKingTheFirst is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomythicalbeast View Post
... Iíd like to put... PJ Lewalski out there...
Can PJ mentor me on appropriate beard growing techniques?
FTC:
13502 (2017-18)
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Getting ready for the break
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Al Skierkiewicz
Guarantees your bot will pass inspection...

Is Dave Lavery still available?
Why Dave? Team culture. If you know him, you know what I mean.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM
AKA: Michael S
FRC #5892 (Energy Heros)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2017
Plowayy will become famous soon enoughPlowayy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynca View Post
Allen Gregory