OCCRA
Go to Post wow!! Andy Baker really is a pig farmer!! and all this time i thought that paul copioli was stereotyping! - RogerR [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard
Re: pic: IRI Prank #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Dave View Post
I disagree completely. If I can't touch another competition robot then why can a non competition robot touch or harass me? I don't care if many people found it enjoying, the fact of the matter is MANY not just me and Ryan and a few random people were ANNOYED and NOT amused. Many people I spoke to, however fun they thought it was agreed that there is a time and place and said it was only fun for a few moments not for minutes of in your face action. I think they should make the rules to make NO exceptions for robots harassing humans without permission.

Pavan Dave

Indeed. It was interesting and all for a bit, but the horn got annoying. Also, It ran into me when i was walking to the field once. It didn't really hurt or anything, but it was annoying.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's a real robot, but it wasn't a competition robot. If it had been broken by the wrapping, nothing would have come of it except taking it back to the shop on Monday and fixing it. If messing with a competition robot breaks it, it could put the team out of the game.

I was on the field so I didn't get the full effect of the roving barrel. I do remember thinking once or twice, "There's that horn again, it's kinda annoying." If it had been going off a lot in the pit area and commons, "kinda" would have escalated to "extremely".

It's a cute idea that has its uses. Sounds like some people thought it was taken too far.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Albert seems to be getting bashed as well as saran wrapped.

I'd hate to see such a fun idea go down the tubes.

Could 2 Alberts be sectioned off in an area of unused hallway (or outside) and have races as a fundraiser? People who want to race pay a small fee to do so? Monies go to charity? Children of all ages have a blast?

Just a thought.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 07-25-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: off not on
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)
Team Role: College Student

AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, did anyone once ever ask the people driving it if they could avoid an area, or if it was really becoming as much of a problem as what you say (I'll take your word for it), did you ever consider to ask them to turn it off for a while?

It's one thing to completely bash it after the fact, but if it was becoming such a problem in all of your eye's, then why did no one do anything about it? You can't expect a situation to get better if you don't make an attempt to confront it.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Out of curiosity, did anyone once ever ask the people driving it if they could avoid an area, or if it was really becoming as much of a problem as what you say (I'll take your word for it), did you ever consider to ask them to turn it off for a while?

It's one thing to completely bash it after the fact, but if it was becoming such a problem in all of your eye's, then why did no one do anything about it? You can't expect a situation to get better if you don't make an attempt to confront it.
That instantly reminds me of the commercial on TV where 4 girls are standing in a ladies room complaining about how so much water is being wasted from the faucet running, & they all are talking & agreeing that someone should do something about it, but none of them do until a 5th woman finally comes over who heard them talking, & shuts it off.

And then the orginal 4 all walk away (sheepishly) because someone finally "stepped up" & took care of the problem, while the girl who shut it off just smiles.

Then there is some kind of tag line about taking action to solve a problem, & not just talking about it or something.

I know that's a little off tangent, but when I read your reply, I thought of that & thought it was relative.

#51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Poor Albert seems to be getting bashed as well as saran wrapped.

I'd hate to see such a fun idea go down the tubes.

Could 2 Alberts be sectioned off in an area of unused hallway (or outside) and have races as a fundraiser? People who want to race pay a small fee to do so? Monies go to charity? Children of all ages have a blast?

Just a thought.
Maybe FIRST should include a road barrel in the 2009 kit of parts, and require teams to use it as their robot's outer shell? That could be an interesting alternative to the standard bumpers we have been required to use recently.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Maybe FIRST should include a road barrel in the 2009 kit of parts, and require teams to use it as their robot's outer shell? That could be an interesting alternative to the standard bumpers we have been required to use recently.
Living in Texas as I do, with rodeos around in the springtime, barrel racing takes on an exciting and adrenaline-pumped meaning. However, traffic barrel driving/racing/competing in FIRST reminds me of one of the clown acts in a circus when I think about it. Especially with the horns. That would be a great act for sure. A mime clown with an Albert the Road Barrel or 2 would be hysterical.

Richard, I know you are making a tongue-in-cheek remark, btw.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 07-25-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: word addition
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Living in Michigan I get my fill of traffic barrels every summer. I believe someone nominated them as the state tree. Winter seems to be the only time that the barrels actually come down. If FIRST turned into a traffic jam of Orange barrels I would probably go nuts.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Living in Texas as I do, with rodeos around in the springtime, barrel racing takes on an exciting and adrenaline-pumped meaning.
What do you think those horses would do if one of the barrels suddenly started moving and honked?
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Have big wrench...and will use it!
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Protronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud ofProtronie has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Protronie Send a message via Yahoo to Protronie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendavnel View Post
what are you talking about of course albert is a real robot. All i needed was a First controller (to expensive for a homemade bot) and a cople of sticks and i could have ran him in the comp. its faster than our robot (which is fast enough). besides what makes any of the lap BOTS in this years competition any different from the cone???? Just cause we got a little entertainment out of driving it around dosent mean u should hate on it. for every person who found it annoying i bet i could find at least 3 people who loved it. And be honest if you had built a cool little robot like that wouldnt you wanna show it off too?

Ben
I showed the pic of Albert to some folks I know in the business... they loved it.
How long would it take to have 450 units ready to ship and how much per unit?

Albert could be the next best thing to work zone safety since the arrow board.

Last edited by Protronie : 07-25-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: thick fingers small keys
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Mechanical Mentor & Drive Coach
AKA: Ben Nelson
FRC #3176 (Purple Precision)

Rookie Year: 2006
Bendavnel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protronie View Post
I showed the pic of Albert to some folks I know in the business... they loved it.
How long would it take to have 450 units ready to ship and how much per unit?

Albert could be the next best thing to work zone safety since the arrow board.
Are you kidding me. i mean 450 this isnt a buisness that im running i just built a little well, a big toy. I had actually never thought about making them but they would be kinda cool. i would have to change the design a little to make it cheaper. and id have to price it all out and check it out. they wouldnt be to cheap though. id look into it if there is actually intrest though

Ben
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKE View Post
Living in Michigan I get my fill of traffic barrels every summer. I believe someone nominated them as the state tree. Winter seems to be the only time that the barrels actually come down. If FIRST turned into a traffic jam of Orange barrels I would probably go nuts.
Yet, there always do seem to be one or two floating around, even in sub-zero temperatures and several inches of snow. Seeing hundreds of orange barrels in the WINTER would be enough to drive me straight into an asylum
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
What do you think those horses would do if one of the barrels suddenly started moving and honked?
DQ for the guilty barrel.
--
In bullriding, the rodeo clowns use barrels (not cones/traffic barrels) for protection and distraction. I've seen some amazing work and have a very high regard/respect for those clowns. They know what they are doing.

~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 07-25-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: word addition
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
Spook. If that scares humans, then a horse will REALLY be scared. And if anyone's on that horse, they're coming off, most likely, when the horse spooks.[/offtopic]

On topic (somewhat): I'm inclined to agree with the definition of prank earlier in the thread. I was pranked today at work (it's a fun-loving place) by one of the other workers.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Last edited by EricH : 07-25-2008 at 10:16 PM.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Dan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh this poor traffic barrel...

It was a really clever idea to have something like this driving around. We had the idea of making a grill drive around for our town's 4th of July parade., but... it just never happened.

However, I think it hung around in the most congested spot in the entire building: the pit entrance, a bit too much. I saw it run into many people and the honking... oh the honking...

It was the perfect robot to pick up and run away with. It wasn't a competition robot, it was sturdy, members of 1024 were good sports about it, and everyone else who saw the poor robot wrapped to the bench highly approved.

However, in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea to carry the bench to 1024's pit as that was near a high traffic area, as well...
Who knew silence could be so loud?

Mayhem in Merrimack hosts since 2005 - Week Zero hosts in partnership with FIRST HQ: 2014-2016

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: