OCCRA
Go to Post RTM does not stop after competition. - ATannahill [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Mr. Lim Mr. Lim is offline
Registered User
AKA: Mr. Lim
no team
Team Role: Leadership
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Rookie Year: 1998
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

I'm really interested in the various Jetson TK1 trials teams are doing right now. I probably should've gotten one some time ago.

A few questions for anyone with one of these units:

1) How quickly does it boot up once powered on?

2) Does anything become corrupted if you repeatedly hard power on/off in the middle of ?

3) Has anyone tried wiring it directly to unregulated 12V on the PDP, and driven a robot hard to see if it browns-out or powers off?
__________________
In life, what you give, you keep. What you fail to give, you lose forever...
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2014, 09:58 AM
marshall's Avatar
marshall marshall is offline
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lim View Post
I'm really interested in the various Jetson TK1 trials teams are doing right now. I probably should've gotten one some time ago.

A few questions for anyone with one of these units:

1) How quickly does it boot up once powered on?

2) Does anything become corrupted if you repeatedly hard power on/off in the middle of ?

3) Has anyone tried wiring it directly to unregulated 12V on the PDP, and driven a robot hard to see if it browns-out or powers off?
Answers

1) Fast. Less than 20 seconds. Can be tweaked to go even faster.

2) We haven't seen anything become corrupted but as I have said previously in this thread and others, it's a linux system. Rebooting it repeatedly uncleanly is going to cause some pain with fsck at some point so just be mindful and take necessary steps to avoid it.

3) Not yet. We will be doing that soon. I would recommend a regulator. For this year, the VRM has some 2A points where it could be plugged in and should be fine, assuming the rules allow for that.

EDIT: My one new comment is that after a recent discussion and some more benchmarking and other nonsense, I will add that not all CUDA cores are created equal over at Nvidia. The CUDA cores on the tegras are not the CUDA cores on the graphics cards in your super awesome gaming rig. The bottom line is that extra horsepower is not an excuse for sloppy coding and this is still an embedded system so efficient code is key. Also, memory management between the CPU and GPU has proven to be tricky.

Last edited by marshall : 12-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
marshall's Avatar
marshall marshall is offline
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

First successful test getting data from the Jetson to the RoboRIO and controlling the robot. 900 HQ was a happy place last night.


Full Size Image Here
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Caboose's Avatar
Caboose Caboose is offline
Programmer - LabVIEW, C++, C#, Java
AKA: James Parks
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Rookie Year: 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 74
Caboose has a spectacular aura aboutCaboose has a spectacular aura about
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

To steal a bit of thunder from Marshall, I just made a thread with links to our code on GitHub. THREAD: Team 900 - nVIDIA Jetson TK1 OpenCV Co-Processor
__________________
"Robots are aluminum shavings, held together by zip-ties."

myManga
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Caboose's Avatar
Caboose Caboose is offline
Programmer - LabVIEW, C++, C#, Java
AKA: James Parks
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Rookie Year: 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 74
Caboose has a spectacular aura aboutCaboose has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Hey all,

I just posted links to 900's code, including vision, over here. Ask questions if you have any there please.
__________________
"Robots are aluminum shavings, held together by zip-ties."

myManga
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 12:45 PM
sparkytwd's Avatar
sparkytwd sparkytwd is offline
Registered User
FRC #3574
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 116
sparkytwd will become famous soon enoughsparkytwd will become famous soon enough
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

For those interested in continuing with TK1 development, I've gotten Ubuntu working on the Acer CB5-311 notebook, this one.

Using this script and the regular chrubuntu instructions it was pretty straight forward to get up and running.

Got the CUDA examples building and running locally. It's nice having a portable development so students can work on the same platform as running on the robot.

Quick Edit: This was entered on a CB5-311

Last edited by sparkytwd : 05-28-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Forgot a fact
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 02:03 PM
faust1706's Avatar
faust1706 faust1706 is offline
Registered User
FRC #1706 (Ratchet Rockers)
Team Role: College Student
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 498
faust1706 is infamous around these partsfaust1706 is infamous around these parts
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Are you going to make a script to install caffe with cudNN support? (if not, I'll write one up this weekend, or at the least a step by step guide). I feel caffe + cuda + cudNN is a more valuable and a different application of cuda than cuda based opencv.

My arguement: while opencv is great, teams have just about exhausted the real time use for it. Even with what 900 did, they were getting 15 fps. It's time to move on if we wish to advance what we are doing. The easiest way to do that, I argue, is to switch our roots entirely to a library that is more encompassing.
__________________
"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
marshall's Avatar
marshall marshall is offline
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkytwd View Post
For those interested in continuing with TK1 development, I've gotten Ubuntu working on the Acer CB5-311 notebook, this one.

Using this script and the regular chrubuntu instructions it was pretty straight forward to get up and running.

Got the CUDA examples building and running locally. It's nice having a portable development so students can work on the same platform as running on the robot.

Quick Edit: This was entered on a CB5-311
Way cool! I'm happy to know that laptop works. Having something with a battery onboard the robot solves some logistical problems. Good stuff!
__________________
"La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre" - Miguel de Cervantes
"The future is unwritten" - Joe Strummer
"Simplify, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman
Clarke's Laws
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 02:18 PM
sparkytwd's Avatar
sparkytwd sparkytwd is offline
Registered User
FRC #3574
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 116
sparkytwd will become famous soon enoughsparkytwd will become famous soon enough
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust1706 View Post
Are you going to make a script to install caffe with cudNN support? (if not, I'll write one up this weekend, or at the least a step by step guide). I feel caffe + cuda + cudNN is a more valuable and a different application of cuda than cuda based opencv.

My arguement: while opencv is great, teams have just about exhausted the real time use for it. Even with what 900 did, they were getting 15 fps. It's time to move on if we wish to advance what we are doing. The easiest way to do that, I argue, is to switch our roots entirely to a library that is more encompassing.
I installed the cuda libraries using the Jetson instructions. I think an automatic script would be a great idea.

The biggest issue for teams and the neural network stuff is going to be collecting good training data and building a useful model. Ideally you'd have targets for recognition in-situ, but practice fields are usually unavailable until later in the season.

I wouldn't take a single implementation as setting the bar for what's possible. Even setting aside the CUDA cores, 4 2ghz ARMv7 cores are quite capable.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 02:27 PM
sparkytwd's Avatar
sparkytwd sparkytwd is offline
Registered User
FRC #3574
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 116
sparkytwd will become famous soon enoughsparkytwd will become famous soon enough
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Way cool! I'm happy to know that laptop works. Having something with a battery onboard the robot solves some logistical problems. Good stuff!
I picked up the laptop due to issues we had with reliability this year. We picked up 3 at the start of the year, and are down to 1 reliably working. One of them won't get past the bootloader on a regular basis, but if you sit on it with a serial console and spam reset it will eventually start.

The other refuses to power up at all. I suspect the first case was due to handling for cading a case, the second, due to a miscommunication, was connected to VBatt, not VReg(12).

The problem with the laptop form factor is the weight. I feel that with a good case and sufficient QA to make sure the device is connected to the regulated 12v supply this will be a reliable system for next year.

I'm also working on a UPS that would conform with this years regulations for giving about 30 seconds of power to safely shut down a co-processor. That being said, in the past 3 years, we haven't had issues with sudden power removal impacting the coprocessors.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM
faust1706's Avatar
faust1706 faust1706 is offline
Registered User
FRC #1706 (Ratchet Rockers)
Team Role: College Student
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: St Louis
Posts: 498
faust1706 is infamous around these partsfaust1706 is infamous around these parts
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkytwd View Post
I wouldn't take a single implementation as setting the bar for what's possible. Even setting aside the CUDA cores, 4 2ghz ARMv7 cores are quite capable.
To my understanding, 900 was the first team to implement a complete machine learning based vision solution. OpenCV is not regarded as a machine (deep) learning library. It seems only natural to switch to a library that has at least an emphasis on this, instead of an after thought.

Their implementation, cascade training, is an extremely light version of machine learning by comparison, and they were getting 15 fps. Unless teams are going to start putting *entire computers on their robot, and struggle to reliably power it off of the PDB as well as dedicate that much space, something has to change. Also cost must be considered for a computer; Between a motherboard, memory, cpu and gpu, it adds up fast.

You could always off-board everything, but then you're limiting yourself to the bandwidth limit.

*In 2012, 1706 did have an entire computer on their robot. It had 8 gb of ram, an i5 and ran ubuntu. We were averaging 20 fps (though we were doing a real time pose calculation, so that's actually really good with everything considered). I personally don't recommend unless absolutely needed.
__________________
"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 03:50 PM
marshall's Avatar
marshall marshall is offline
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,087
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkytwd View Post
I picked up the laptop due to issues we had with reliability this year. We picked up 3 at the start of the year, and are down to 1 reliably working. One of them won't get past the bootloader on a regular basis, but if you sit on it with a serial console and spam reset it will eventually start.

The other refuses to power up at all. I suspect the first case was due to handling for cading a case, the second, due to a miscommunication, was connected to VBatt, not VReg(12).

The problem with the laptop form factor is the weight. I feel that with a good case and sufficient QA to make sure the device is connected to the regulated 12v supply this will be a reliable system for next year.

I'm also working on a UPS that would conform with this years regulations for giving about 30 seconds of power to safely shut down a co-processor. That being said, in the past 3 years, we haven't had issues with sudden power removal impacting the coprocessors.
Rock on! Keep us posted. I'm all for opening up options to teams for this sort of stuff. We're about a day or two away from getting our white paper out for what we worked on this year. Nothing earth shattering but we want to share it and make this stuff a little more accessible.
__________________
"La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre" - Miguel de Cervantes
"The future is unwritten" - Joe Strummer
"Simplify, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman
Clarke's Laws
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2015, 08:19 PM
ForeverAlon ForeverAlon is offline
Registered User
AKA: Alon Greyber
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Rookie Year: 2013
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 10
ForeverAlon will become famous soon enoughForeverAlon will become famous soon enough
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Here is a link to team 900's vision whitepaper: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh....php?p=1484741
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Caboose's Avatar
Caboose Caboose is offline
Programmer - LabVIEW, C++, C#, Java
AKA: James Parks
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Rookie Year: 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 74
Caboose has a spectacular aura aboutCaboose has a spectacular aura about
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

FYI, the Jetson TX1 was recently released.
__________________
"Robots are aluminum shavings, held together by zip-ties."

myManga
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM
dusty_nv dusty_nv is offline
Registered User
no team
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21
dusty_nv is a name known to alldusty_nv is a name known to alldusty_nv is a name known to alldusty_nv is a name known to alldusty_nv is a name known to alldusty_nv is a name known to all
Re: NVIDIA Jetson TK1

Jetson TK1 is included in Kit of Parts again this year for FIRST 2016, and in addition, the new 1TFLOP+ Jetson TX1 is available for FIRST teams to use via discount: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141133
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi