OCCRA
Go to Post By "resources" do you mean money (sponsor or school), school support or permission, build facilities, or mentors? All of these require different solutions. - Carol [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 10:07 PM
FTAA, Webmaster, and such
AKA: Fletcher
FRC #0100 (WildHats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
FletcherS7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Team Time Clock - Open source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
We've been using a (very old) version of Ticketing 4 Schools for attendance and scheduling documentation. It's worked pretty well for us, but it's equally effective to just have a sign-in sheet for what we use.
Yeah. We have a bunch of Python scripts that pull data from the Microsoft Access database.

It does the job.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2018, 09:16 AM
FRC #5401 (The Fightin' Robotic Owls)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
vmorgs is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
I am thinking of implementing a team time clock to keep track of who was where when, and just to reflect on the amount of time spent for documentation for many reasons.

1. To see how much time the team collectively spent
2. Document for 3rd party data.
3. Member activity

What we need is something simple since we are not actually doing payroll. I know we could do it with one computer in the Lab/Shop but convenience often determines the buy in. So a Mobil app with GPS functionality is desired. Additionally, or ideally free. Perhaps I am asking too much. Do anyone have something like this they use?

Any insight?

Thanks.
I am looking into a similar solution for my team, and it seems like there might be some ways to accomplish this via Google Forms and/or Google Sheets. My biggest struggle is I don't just need to know when someone showed up and the total number of hours worked--we also track when someone leaves for safety purposes so I need a solution that clocks people out too. I posted a similar thread yesterday and got some of the same responses you did. After the one response of a Google Form, I started looking around on-line to see what else is out there that uses Google Forms for this purpose and found a few tutorials on YouTube. Our team meeting is today so I'm going to take some of that time to watch them and see if any of the are feasible and fit our needs. If so, I'll report back with links.

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 08:06 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2010
legoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmorgs View Post
I am looking into a similar solution for my team, and it seems like there might be some ways to accomplish this via Google Forms and/or Google Sheets. My biggest struggle is I don't just need to know when someone showed up and the total number of hours worked--we also track when someone leaves for safety purposes so I need a solution that clocks people out too. I posted a similar thread yesterday and got some of the same responses you did. After the one response of a Google Form, I started looking around on-line to see what else is out there that uses Google Forms for this purpose and found a few tutorials on YouTube. Our team meeting is today so I'm going to take some of that time to watch them and see if any of the are feasible and fit our needs. If so, I'll report back with links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoguy1000 View Post
I have been working on a all encompassing portal for my team 2363, Triple Helix. The main part is hours tracking, but we have integrating annual registration and tracking of payment of dues, STIMS/TIMS registration, paperwork...., Tracking event registration to the point of tracking who can drive to events, who goes in which car, hotel rooms.... I have integrated Slack for notifications and am working on email as well. I am in the process of making a demo site for people to view, here is the url https://portal-demo.team2363.org. There isn't any data yet but i plan to populate with fake data.

Right now it pulls users from a google sheet/form that all students/mentors are required to fill out each year. This counts as their annual registration and imports any new students into the system.
Please see my post earlier in the thread. I have been working on a portal for hours tracking and much more. Students and Mentors sign in/out with a PIN. I have a cronjob that deletes any sign-in that hasn't signed out after 12 hours as well as slack integration where if someone has't signed out within 15 min of normal meeting time, it will send them a slack message and they can sign out using slack. Please browse the demo site in the above post. Please let me know what you think.

This web app is in active development.

User creds are below
student:
email: martink@sbcglobal.net
pass:user

admin:
email: admin@example.com
pass: admin

Sample metrics provided: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G2v...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by legoguy1000 : 06-05-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add image
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 11:26 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoguy1000 View Post
This web app is in active development.

I'm going throw out some ideas, but overall it is outstanding and my main thoughts are about how to implement this. Mostly about whether I should have a local station or rely on students logging in on their own devices?

First, my additional thoughts about the time being correct and trust for students not to cheat the system. I wasn't finding where times could be edited, if they are incorrect, so making that simpler/more apparent would be helpful. I'm used to timesheets (one for each date) so maybe organizing that way with a page that has for one day the students, logged time, etc.
and being able to go back by date, might let you easily see any time discrepancies. Having editable fields for time/date, so that several entries can be corrected at once (in the same thought, maybe backing up the data daily would be good for security reasons). I'm not sure, signed in (but not signed out) students show up in the Time Management tab, but if not, a "signed in" list would be useful.

Next, you've done well to make it customizable for teams. I am thinking without multiple schools, it might be interesting to re-purpose that for squads (small groups). "Schools" could be an editable label for such purposes. Letting you add/delete event categories is another customization you could add.

Furthering customization, I thought about how this would help track lettering requirements, which sometimes are attending a % of events, attending a % of subteam meetings, or possibly an event point system. For that you'd like to easily access the events attended, then maybe calculate the % of that event category attended. For user accounts, students could add a subteam which then it would show attendance % of those meetings. You could also add a point field to events to let that be specified. Making these easily seen for each student and also to have a "missing attendance" request for the events would mimic the missing hours request.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 05:02 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

legoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to all

So right now, they way for students to not cheat the system is that and Admin has to authorize signin on a device. This creates a token that gets sent with the sign in/out requests. This prevents someone from signing in from home. A future feature will to be allow remote sign in if the team wants that functionality. One thought is allow students to sign in on their phone and that sends a slack message to the mentors/admins to approve the sign in. Thoughts??

The other ideas i like and will have to look into how the best way to do them.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 06:24 AM
AKA: Z. Bross
FRC #2729 (STORM Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
zbross is an unknown quantity at this point

This won't apply to everyone, and it's obviously not open source, but if your team is in a school, and the school uses Genesis, the Turnstile feature is fantastic for this purpose. Because the student data comes from Genesis, there's no setup required.

What we do is have an account created for Robotics that is only attached to Turnstile with our roster loaded in. Turnstile works by having a single large box on the screen where students can type in their student ID or name (your choice), and then it will automatically clock them in to the designated activity (Robotics). Entering their name or ID again will clock them out. The best part is that if any teacher checks that student on Genesis, it will show they are checked in to Robotics, so administration loves this.

You can set options to automatically clock students out at designated times, prevent duplicate logins, and run reports for statistics on hours, dates, etc. I can't recommend it enough as a dead-simple system if your school is already using Genesis. Can it still be beaten? Absolutely. But if you want to build a system that can't be taken advantage of, you are fighting a losing battle. Best to go for convenience with some oversight.

Last edited by zbross : 06-08-2018 at 08:04 AM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-21-2018, 07:10 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
I'm going throw out some ideas, but overall it is outstanding and my main thoughts are about how to implement this. Mostly about whether I should have a local station or rely on students logging in on their own devices?

First, my additional thoughts about the time being correct and trust for students not to cheat the system. I wasn't finding where times could be edited, if they are incorrect, so making that simpler/more apparent would be helpful. I'm used to timesheets (one for each date) so maybe organizing that way with a page that has for one day the students, logged time, etc.
and being able to go back by date, might let you easily see any time discrepancies. Having editable fields for time/date, so that several entries can be corrected at once (in the same thought, maybe backing up the data daily would be good for security reasons). I'm not sure, signed in (but not signed out) students show up in the Time Management tab, but if not, a "signed in" list would be useful.

Next, you've done well to make it customizable for teams. I am thinking without multiple schools, it might be interesting to re-purpose that for squads (small groups). "Schools" could be an editable label for such purposes. Letting you add/delete event categories is another customization you could add.

Furthering customization, I thought about how this would help track lettering requirements, which sometimes are attending a % of events, attending a % of subteam meetings, or possibly an event point system. For that you'd like to easily access the events attended, then maybe calculate the % of that event category attended. For user accounts, students could add a subteam which then it would show attendance % of those meetings. You could also add a point field to events to let that be specified. Making these easily seen for each student and also to have a "missing attendance" request for the events would mimic the missing hours request.
So I did add the Time Sheet display but not with a method of editing yet. For the event registration feature. It is focused on events where you need people to sign up, volunteer.... not so much standard team meetings. It has the ability for people to register that they are attending, specify what hours/times they will be there (if added in event), select a hotel room (if required), adults can offer to drive and specify # number of passengers and everyone ca be assigned a car all from within the application.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: