OCCRA
Go to Post Dedication to FIRST gets more challenging as life gets more complicated but the rewards are SOOOOO worth it! - Sean Schuff [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM
The Spiky Hair Guy
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Larry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond repute
2017 FIRST National Advocacy Conference

Hello Everyone!

Are you interested in getting more awareness and support for FIRST in the U.S.A.?
Do you want to know how to hold our elected officials accountable?
Would you like to know what you can do to make a difference for every student in the U.S.?

If any of this interests you, then the 2017 National Advocacy Conference can help you reach those goals.

The 2017 National Advocacy Conference will take place on June 25, 26, 27th at the Holiday Inn Capitol Hotel in Washington, DC. We will train you and send you out to meet with your Representatives and Senators. No previous advocacy experience is needed! We focus on building relationships with your elected officials and growing FIRST!

The cost to attend is $250 per person through 5/16/2017 and then $280 per person after that. Space is limited so make sure to register as soon as you can!

The conference brochure can be downloaded at:
http://gettravel.com/wp-content/uplo...t_2017_web.pdf

The registration website and additional information is at:
http://gettravel.com/first-nac

We NEED your help to be heard! The more states and more teams we have represented, the more Congress will take FIRST seriously, and the more they will listen to our desire to promote STEM opportunities for kids all across America!

If you have participated before, please feel free to post a message in this thread telling us about your experience. If you have not participated, please email nac@firstnac.org if you have any questions.

A Special Thank You to: FRC 1086 Blue Cheese, FRC 1511 The Rolling Thunder, FRC 1676 Pascack Pi-oneers, FRC 1718 The Fighting Pi, FRC 1816 The Green Machine, and FRC 2655 The Flying Platypi for help in promoting and organizing this event!

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions. Thank you for those who have recruited new teams in the past and continue to do so now.

Thank you!
2013 - Present: Systems Engineer - Viewpoint Systems
2004 - 2013: Lead Test Engineer - Harris RF Communications
www.penfieldrobotics.com
Certified LabVIEW Architect
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work" ~Thomas Alva Edison
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM
FRC #1511

Aaron Kurtz will become famous soon enough
Re: 2017 FIRST National Advocacy Conference

I went to the national advocacy conference last year and i can honestly say that it was way better than i thought it would be. I got to meet with senators and Representatives it really cool buildings. We got to go places you couldn't go with a normal tour group. We even got to shake hands with Dean Kamen and got to the senate and see them vote on laws. It was really cool. I also got better at talking to vips (spent almost 2 days getting information on how to talk to vips). 10/10 would go again if i have time to!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2016, 09:46 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

My FTC team had the good fortune to be able to attend the 2016 National Advocacy Conference, and learned a lot! The students also had a great time interacting with other teams and helping share what they learned at local events afterwards. Definitely highly recommended if you can get the logistics to work out!

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2016, 03:29 PM
FRC #1086

brwesty has a spectacular aura aboutbrwesty has a spectacular aura about

The National Advocacy Conference provides all of the information and training participants need to speak confidently and knowledgeably to lawmakers. No prior experience is required. Our team has participated for several years and the students always report that it is one of the most memorable experiences that they have. How often do you have the chance to tell your US senator in person what is important to you?

In addition to the NAC experience itself, our students brought home the lessons they learned and applied them at the state level. After two years of work, they were able to help get a bill passed and signed into law. Amazing. (In case you are curious, you can see information about the bill here)

The National Advocacy Conference is a permanent part of our team calendar now-- a "can't miss event." I'm really looking forward to returning in 2017 and highly recommend it to other teams.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2016, 09:07 PM
AKA: Ellen Drennan
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Drennael will become famous soon enoughDrennael will become famous soon enough

I attended the FIRST NAC for two years as a student on FRC Team 1676 because I wanted to make a difference. FIRST has made an incredibly positive impact on my life, and I believe that every school district should have the opportunity and the ability to provide after school mentor-based STEM programs to its students. Speaking to my government representatives with other students who were similarly motivated was empowering and inspiring. NAC made me a more informed citizen, a more confident presenter, and a more active advocate for STEM education.

Student Leader '12-'15
Alumni Mentor '15-present
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
FRC #1086

brwesty has a spectacular aura aboutbrwesty has a spectacular aura about

Don't miss any updates on the plans for the FIRST National Advocacy Conference 2017. Follow the event on Twitter (@FIRSTNAC) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FIRSTNAC).
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM
The Spiky Hair Guy
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Larry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond reputeLarry Lewis has a reputation beyond repute

Teams, we need your help!

We would like to enable more teams to attend the conference this year. In order to do this we have setup a GoFundMe page to raise funds for teams that would like to attend but currently do not have the resources to do so.

Please consider supporting this cause if you can.
https://www.gofundme.com/first-advoc...m-support-fund

If you are a team interested in attending but find yourself short on resources please email us.
2013 - Present: Systems Engineer - Viewpoint Systems
2004 - 2013: Lead Test Engineer - Harris RF Communications
www.penfieldrobotics.com
Certified LabVIEW Architect
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work" ~Thomas Alva Edison
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM
FRC #2655 (The Flying Platypi)

Rookie Year: 2008
team2655 will become famous soon enough

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e6&oe=58D60226
NAC is truly a one-of-a kind experience! The workshops are very in-depth, and I felt very well prepared for lobbying on Capitol Hill. The representatives were extremely receptive to what we had to say, and it was so cool to get to tell them about FIRST. During the trip, my public speaking skills improved immensely. After talking with a Senator, giving a speech at school is a breeze.
It was so awesome to be surrounded by teams from all over the country, all united to achieve the same thing: the spread of STEM. Collaborating with teams from hundreds of miles away and hearing about how they spread the message of FIRST in their communities was very valuable. All the teams have great ideas, some of which my own team hopes to implement in our own community.
On another note, DC is such a cool city! My team rode the subway, went to the Smithsonian, and even toured the Capitol! At the closing reception of NAC, we even got to meet Dean Kamen!!
When you go, be sure to bring an umbrella (even if rain isn't in the forecast)!!! Some of the offices are far away from each other, and getting caught in the rain is not a fun experience.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2017, 06:09 PM
FRC #2655 (The Flying Platypi)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
Rachel Shiane is an unknown quantity at this point

I've fortunately been able to attend NAC for the past two years with my team, and it has always been worth it. I've heard so many horror stories about walking around DC in dress clothes, but it's so cool to meet the people who represent your state and/or county, and determine so much about what's going to happen there. It helps develop public speaking skills and confidence, and even if your normally shy, it's a great thing to do.

Plus, the conference before the meetings on Capitol Hill will teach you everything you could possibly need to know about your meetings -- if they don't, questions always will.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Logan Schorr
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
pokelogan89 has a spectacular aura aboutpokelogan89 has a spectacular aura aboutpokelogan89 has a spectacular aura about

I have attended NAC for the past 2 years as part of my team, and they are honestly some of my fondest memories since I've joined the team. Bonding with your own team members, as well as other teams, is a very fun experience. Talking to governors, senators, and congressmen shows how you can have an impact in government and society. It is absolutely incredible when you consider that you're still in high school. As well as it being fun, NAC helped me develop public speaking skills to the point where I was able to deliver speeches at both the 2016 FIRST World Championship and NAC 2016. NAC is awesome, and I would recommend everyone and anyone to try to go.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: