Go to Post There is nothing that says 'gracious professionalism' like making brunch for your opponents. - Monochron [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:12 AM
FRC #1540 (Flaming Chickens)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
igeniusmint is an unknown quantity at this point
1540 WCD

Hi guys, so I'm not sure which forum this should go to so I decided to put it here. This is our first year to make a west coast drive system, and from testing it at our BunnyBot game, it has proved to be fantastic. However, for the build season, I'd like to make more improvements to it and would like opinions and how to's.

The drive base is based off Team 221's super light chassis with our own holes to mount the transmissions. For our competition robot, we are probably going to use their supershifter adapters as well.

These are the things I'm looking forward to change:
1. I'd like the chains to be on the inside rather than the outside of the frame. However, I'm not sure how to put the sprockets inside the supershifter adapter.
2. If we are unable to place chains on the outside, how would we mount the bumpers?

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome.

This is our current frame design:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/at...d=13245415 24
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISO%2520View.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	11229  
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM
45 Alumni
AKA: Peyton Yeung
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Peyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1540 WCD

In 2008 we built a bracket that attached the bumpers to the frame.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/...4eafe022da.jpg

2017 Tippy Quarter Finalist, St. Joe Semi finalist

2016 Tippy Quarter Finalist, Warren Finalist, IN State Semi Finalist,B^3 Double Finalist
2015 Indy Semi finalist, Purdue Quarter Finalist, IN State Quarter Finalist, CORI QF, R2OC Finalist, RAGE Winner
2014 Boilermaker Semi finalist, Crossroads Quarter Finalist, & CAGE Quarter Finalist
45 Technokats
2013 Boilermaker Quarter finalist
2012 CAGE Semi finalist & Queen City Champion
2011 CAGE Quarter finalist & Midwest Semi finalist
2010 CAGE Quarter finalist, Boilermaker Champion, & Washington DC Quarter Finalist
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:30 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubatroopa View Post
In 2008 we built a bracket that attached the bumpers to the frame.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/...4eafe022da.jpg
Wouldn't those now be illegal?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Says Memorable Things
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #5895 (Peddie Robotics & FRC 708 Hatters Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC9 View Post
Wouldn't those now be illegal?
By current (2011) bumper rules, it appears that those would be illegal, but without knowing the specific measurements, it's hard to say definitively. That's not to say that the method is flawed, you just may need more mounts of that style to comply with rules.
Current - Technical Mentor, FRC 5895, FRC 708
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Craig Boezwinkle
FRC #2811 (StormBots)

craigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeniusmint View Post
1. I'd like the chains to be on the inside rather than the outside of the frame. However, I'm not sure how to put the sprockets inside the supershifter adapter.
Moving the chains to the inside requires a transition from dead axles to live axles. This is a non-trivial change to your current design. 221 sells a live axle bearing block if you're looking to keep things COTS. I'm not familiar with how to integrate it with a standard Supershifter though. All the WCDs I've seen with interior chains use a semi-custom gearbox (standard parts with custom sideplates) so they can integrate the extra sprockets onto the output shaft.

Look at 254s gearbox. It's a good example of how to do this.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Gray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to behold

That looks like a good start, but you'll probably want to rethink your electronics layout. I don't think you'll be able to mount your digital sidecar like that because you'll be blocking your cables coming out of the digital module (unless FIRST changes the ordering to fill the first 3 slots), and you clearly can't bolt it down. It looks like you'll have space in front of your PD board for the sidecar.

I can't see everything, but will you have enough space to wire up your victors? Forgetting about wiring is so easy to do when you're trying to make things fit.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Volunteer, WPILib Contributor
no team (Waiting for 2021)

Thad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing you can do is to move the entire transmission out away from the chassis so there is a gap, and then put the sprockets on the output shaft between the transmission and the chassis rail.
Co-developer of RobotDotNet, a .NET port of the WPILib.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
A Real Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Rookie Year: 2008
Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

What's all the other stuff, like the pneumatics, for?

Also, how did you connect the corners - it's a little hard to see when it's all red.

It looks cool, though. I wouldn't mind having a drivetrain like that this year.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:44 PM
no team

O'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond reputeO'Sancheski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst.thad View Post
Another thing you can do is to move the entire transmission out away from the chassis so there is a gap, and then put the sprockets on the output shaft between the transmission and the chassis rail.
Exactly what I was going to say.

973 has a few pictures on CD-Media of this.
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31603
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31604
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31605

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also attached is a picture of 48 and 3193s CAD of how they setup their WCD with Supershifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	11233  

Last edited by O'Sancheski : 12-23-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Changed team number from 294 to 973 cause of correction in later post.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst.thad View Post
Wouldn't that be pretty dangerous if you don't support the transmission properly? I have a feeling they wouldn't respond well to being cantilevered..
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Adams View Post
...(unless FIRST changes the ordering to fill the first 3 slots)...
That indeed is the plan for 2012. Remember that the 4-slot cRIO...only has 4 slots.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Read the Manual! PLEASE!
AKA: Adversity
FRC #3925 (Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Marc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc S. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Sancheski View Post
Exactly what I was going to say.

294 has a few pictures on CD-Media of this.
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31603
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31604
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/31605

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also attached is a picture of 48 and 3193s CAD of how they setup their WCD with Supershifters.
That was actualy 973's 2008 robot. However its design was heavily influenced by 294 alumnus AdamHeard, so you are technically correct.

FLL Mentor and Competition Judge 2012-2015
Student-Mentor FRC 5102: 2014, 2015
Student-Mentor FRC 3925: 2015, 2016

FRC Ventura Regional Planning Committee Member & Regional Field Supervisor: 2015, 2016
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Adams View Post
That looks like a good start, but you'll probably want to rethink your electronics layout. I don't think you'll be able to mount your digital sidecar like that because you'll be blocking your cables coming out of the digital module (unless FIRST changes the ordering to fill the first 3 slots), and you clearly can't bolt it down. It looks like you'll have space in front of your PD board for the sidecar.

I can't see everything, but will you have enough space to wire up your victors? Forgetting about wiring is so easy to do when you're trying to make things fit.
Instead of bolting down our electronic board, we used velcro on most of the parts to hold it in place, and it worked out perfectly fine. The CAD I showed was not completed so a lot of stuff are still missing.

For wiring the Victors, our control systems person was able to make a "Wire Spine" from all the victors going to our different electrical components. Again, we did make slight modifications before we made the robot. Sadly, my windows partition is dead so I couldn't upload the latest CAD
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Bait View Post
What's all the other stuff, like the pneumatics, for?

Also, how did you connect the corners - it's a little hard to see when it's all red.

It looks cool, though. I wouldn't mind having a drivetrain like that this year.
The chassis from Team221 has all the connections provided. Basically it's a block that attaches the side rails to the ladder bars. You can't really see it because it's an internal component. It slides into the aluminum extrusion and has two holes on the sides for bolts to go through.

Last edited by igeniusmint : 12-23-2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: link
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2011, 06:00 AM
A Real Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, of course. I didn't realize you had actually used the 221 chassis; I thought that you had just based the drivetrain on the design.

Is the pneumatics for the stuffed bunnies?

Last edited by Ninja_Bait : 12-23-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: