Go to Post Suggesting change is one thing, implementing it is another. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:30 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC Spyder for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetman View Post
The field was not communicating with the outside world today due to what sounded like web filtering at the host school. I heard a rumor that an 3G/4G access point might be setup for tomorrow so the FMS can communicate but don't count on it.
Must be some strict filtering. Are they blocking everything but HTTP?

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

#32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindquist74 View Post
Dave, where do you want bug reports and feature requests to go to?
If you think you found a bug, you can send a PM to Mike or myself.

For feature requests, I'll be honest and say that there's basically no chance of any new features being added at this time. Mike's schedule and my schedule are essentially full for the time being, so barring a serious bug, FRC Spyder likely "is what it is" for 2012. If you'd like to propose feature ideas anyway I'd say just put them here in this thread.

Last edited by Dave Flowerday : 03-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
AKA: Michael Hartwig
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Jaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Flowerday View Post
If you'd like to propose feature ideas anyway I'd say just put them here in this thread.
It'd be nice to put back the previous year's data. I used those a lot to refresh my memory of 2010 & 2011 while we were planning our scouting.

This is incredibly useful; thank you for making it available. At one point we had 5 people sitting in the same area trying to get updates on rankings, on 4 different phone models. :-) Thd problem was FIRST wasn't updating data; nothing to do with you.

RI 2010-present, LRI 2018 GKC

Mentor 2008-present http://www.teamtitanium.org/
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
FTC Mentor, FRC Inspector
AKA: Dan Glenn
FTC #10092 (Green.Griffins;)

Rookie Year: 2007
sandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to all

Love this app, thank you for putting in the time and keeping it going year after year. When I meet someone from the public just watching from the stands, this app quickly downloads and lets them see the bigger picture very quickly. They can follow the rankings, look up teams, see how things are going. I hope you and FIRST realize how much this portable "program" means to the public acceptance of this competition! They should be advertising this throughout the matches for audience.

Oh, and of course, everyone on Team Spyder loves the name! Care to share how you came up with it or is that in another thread somewhere? (We always give you credit when folks ask about it, and we get asked a lot!)
2016-Pres FRC Inspector, Orange County (LRI), Los Angeles, Carson Division
2015 FRC Inspector, Inland Empire (LRI), Central Valley, Los Angeles, Galileo Division
2015-Pres FTC Mentor 10092 Green.Griffins; R&D Robotics Education
2014 FRC Inspector, Inland Empire, San Diego(LRI), Archimedes Division
2012-15 FTC Mentor Team 6565 Stuffed Dragons & 8489 Stuffed Griffins Boys and Girls Club
2013 FRC Inspector, Central Valley, San Diego(LRI), Los Angeles, Inland Empire, Galileo Division
2012 FRC Inspector, San Diego, Los Angeles, Central Valley, Newton Division
2009-12 FRC Mentor Team 1622 Spyder Poway HS
2007-08 FRC Mentor Team 2658 Pedestrian Rancho Bernardo HS
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 2002
Dave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegodan View Post
Oh, and of course, everyone on Team Spyder loves the name! Care to share how you came up with it or is that in another thread somewhere? (We always give you credit when folks ask about it, and we get asked a lot!)
Glad you like the app. Mike and Dave (other Dave, I'm not talking in the 3rd person ) put a lot of effort into making a valuable tool for the community and I know that positive feedback is always appreciated.

To answer your question about the name, the app was originally intended to be named FRCSpy, but there was already a CD feature by that name that we didn't want to infringe on and cause confusion with. We knew we wanted to keep the Spy aspect of it, and since the app is basically a data crawler, like a spider, we merged the two and Spyder was born.

FYI, if you're into VEX, there's a counterpart named VEX via for both Android and IOS available for their larger competitions, (Pan Pacific, Mid Atlantic Championship, US National Championship, and World Championship)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
It'd be nice to put back the previous year's data. I used those a lot to refresh my memory of 2010 & 2011 while we were planning our scouting.
I took it out this year because my approach to get 2010 & 2011 to play nicely together was a quick, ugly hack last year. I didn't want to perpetuate the ugliness and I didn't have time to fix it properly, so I took it out.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Programmer, Webmaster
FRC #2052 (KnightKrawler)
Team Role: Programmer

charlie.drummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I really love this app! Works great on my Droid X2.

My team is developing a computer program for scouting to handle the huge amount of information we get. We would like to have it get the match schedule off of the FIRST site. Where does your app get it's data from? I know they post the match schedule and the results in an html file, but do they store it in any other form other than html. We are really not looking forward to parsing html. Thanks!
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
AKA: Michael Hartwig
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

Rookie Year: 2008
Jaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.drummer View Post
...do they store it in any other form other than html. We are really not looking forward to parsing html. Thanks!
What language are you using? Unless you're using something obscure I'd be very surprised if you won't have multiple choices about which HTML-parsing library routines you use. There's no reason at all that you should have to rewrite such a common piece of code.

RI 2010-present, LRI 2018 GKC

Mentor 2008-present http://www.teamtitanium.org/
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Programmer, Webmaster
FRC #2052 (KnightKrawler)
Team Role: Programmer

charlie.drummer is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using java, and I know there are many libraries out there. We wouldn't have to actually parse it our self. I was just wondering if they store it in a form that would be easier to read and pick out the information we want from. I looked at the source for the match schedule page on the FIRST site, and it would be a pain to have to find the proper html table out of all the others on the page.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
AndyMark Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Nathan
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 2005
NathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond repute

My Droid Charge was the only phone on my team that could hold a signal at Chestnut Hill (and even then it was usually only 1x) so I got a lot of use out of it. I like how the app uses so little data that it can still update at that speed when every other data dependent app I have was useless. I did notice that the elimination bracket won't update until after the match is played even though some of the spots are known, that was the only "bug" I could find, over all great app!
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:52 AM
RobotBill
AKA: Bill Aucoin
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
RobotBill is an unknown quantity at this point
FRC Spyder has the option for manual event updates. Is there a way to set it up for automatic, continual, updates (with a user provided periodicity)?
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
FRC #0753 (The High Desert Droids)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
jason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotBill View Post
FRC Spyder has the option for manual event updates. Is there a way to set it up for automatic, continual, updates (with a user provided periodicity)?
If you use the widget, you can set the app to auto update up to every 15 minutes.

I've found a bug. The teams listed for the Seattle regionals no not match the team list on http://www.usfirst.org/whatsgoingon and it has been like this for at least a week. Either the app isn't updating correctly or it is using a bad source.

Also, push notifications haven't been working for me at all this year.

Last edited by jason701802 : 03-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to throw some kudos on the pile. I love this app at competition and watching from afar. At every event, I have a parent come up to me and ask me if I have seen this FRC Spyder thing. I find this really cool as these are parents I usually only see at events which means they are getting so excited, they want to follow other events as well (and you guys are making it accessible).
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Count me as a fan too. This is MUCH better than being camped out around the pit screen waiting to see our number.

Just curious, is it possible for FRC Spyder to work at off-season events? This would be an even bigger asset for events where the pit display is small/far/non-existent.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM
VirginiaFIRST FTA
AKA: Jack of all trades, Master of few
no team (Forget not 616)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
pyroslev is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: FRC Spyder for 2012

Working on the field at the VA regional, teams asked me what their station was. This handy little app allowed me to send the wayward drivers to their right station. VERY handy. If there is a way to donate to this app, I am greatly inclined to do so.

From December to April, since 2002, I forfeit my mental sanity for perfect insanity.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: