Go to Post This is good training for the real world, where you will have to deal with those kinds of projects that make you die a little inside every time. It's very inspiring stuff! - s_forbes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 03:25 PM

mikesown is an unknown quantity at this point
Using a computer to control the pic

I am currently in the process of writing a java application to communicate with the pic, and basically tell it what values to change the pwm's to etc etc. I was just wondering if anyone had tried something similar where the PIC is a dummy computer that just passes through commands it recieves through a serial port to the pwms.

Thanks
Mike
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using a computer to control the pic

The FRC default code does essentially that: joystick values and switch state inputs are copied directly to PWM and relay control outputs. What you're talking about is no different in principle.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
FRC #5507 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

The Internet just ate my post. Let me retype it...

Last year, 177 had a system where we had a wireless serial link using SMiRF radios and Kevin Watson's serial code. This let us interact with the robot and send it commands to change various PWMs or anything else on the robot on the fly. We just had some code that looked at what we were sending it via serial and changed things correspondingly.

Basically, you want to do the same thing, only wired instead of wirelessly. I would recommend looking at Kevin Watson's serial code as a starting point.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

We had a nifty program called ARCAMS that we wrote last year for diagnostics and configuring our autonomous. It had the capability to do this, but we only used it once or twice for diagnostics. I have often contemplated doing all processing on either a palm pilot or cruddy laptop attached to the robot itself. Let me know how this goes. To me, it seems largely unnecessary though. I have found the computing power of the FRC to be plenty adequite. now if we had a larger sensors budget or more complex autonomous tasks, things might be different.

Last edited by Rickertsen2 : 08-29-2005 at 04:36 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

Linux robots is a fairly similar idea. (Maybe a bit more ambitious.)

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Allot of robot projects have used a portable computing device as the brains and a microcontroller to handle the low level hardware interface. A Palm, pocket PC, PSP and others are mass produced and provide a fast powerful computing platform for a reasonable cost. I believe the bot ball competition has gone this way with a dual screen gaming platform. I would expect some high level robotics IDE's to start appearing soon for portable devices.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2005, 06:13 PM
my amp goes to eleven
AKA: George H.
FRC #0019 (Big Red Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

ghansel is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M.
Linux robots is a fairly similar idea. (Maybe a bit more ambitious.)

It's about the same actually. Nearly identical in in conception, purpose, and intent, but quite different in execution.

George
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: