Go to Post I wish I had two extra hands, so I could give those gearboxes four thumbs up! - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Televised Robotics
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 02:28 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BattleBots Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Can't believe Ghost Raptor got the wild card over Disco Inferno. Ghost Raptor fared about as well as a plastic lawn chair in its fight.

Oh well... Awesome episode anyway.
My personal opinion while at the event was that any of last year's semifinalists would get a wildcard if they lost, as long as the damage was repairable. Was not surprised at all they got one.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher149 View Post
In the intro video for Rotator, did the earlier robot(s) of his look like FRC robots? (telling from the large, red alliance light on the robot)
I thought so as well, but I did not recognize the robot. I remember 2002 still had the lights, but when did they go away? I was not active 2003 or 2004, and I know by 2005 we didn't have to package one of those.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKE View Post
I thought so as well, but I did not recognize the robot. I remember 2002 still had the lights, but when did they go away? I was not active 2003 or 2004, and I know by 2005 we didn't have to package one of those.
The last season of the rotating light was 2003. I remember not understanding the raucous applause when Dave Lavery chucked it in the trash on-air during Kickoff 2004 (the first exposure I had to anything from FIRST besides the Will Smith video).

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 08:34 PM
FRC #0857 (Superior Roboworks) FTC 10723 & 13284 (SnowBots)

Rookie Year: 2007
Christopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond reputeChristopher149 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The pacing and editing this year is SO much better than last year so far.
I seem to remember (hazily) them sometimes going to commercials between announcing and the match, or even after the countdown light hit green. So glad that once we see robots in the cage there is no break until after the match ends.

2018: Industrial Design, Excellence in Engineering, Team Spirit, Darwin Division
2017: Gracious Professionalism, Creativity
2016: Creativity, Team Spirit
2015: Industrial Design, Excellence in Engineering, District Finalist, Archimedes Division (#6 alliance captain)
2014: Judges Award, District Engineering Inspiration, District Finalist, Galileo Division

#35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 09:54 AM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
It's like 30s per match tops. That doesn't come close to adding up to enough time to add another match.

It feels like wasted time because you're a hardcore viewer but they need that kind of stuff for the average viewer. It also builds up the fight a little bit.

The pacing and editing this year is SO much better than last year so far.
I'm willing to concede that I'm not the viewer who would value that stuff, but it was 2 minutes and 27 seconds from the time they went to the field (and announced "Its Robot Fighting Time") to the time they powered on the robots for the first match of episode 2.

It won't stop by from watching, but I find it a little redundant that they spend a few minutes with the taped behind the scenes story of one of the teams, then spend another few minutes in the studio previewing the match and then spend another few minutes introducing the teams (again) and showing them walk into the arena.

I do agree the pacing is much better this year.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 11:29 AM
no team

FiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud of

Am I the only one that finds this way too comparable to the last season? The same bots will generally win....so it is almost like watching re-runs.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)

gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiMFanatic View Post
Am I the only one that finds this way too comparable to the last season? The same bots will generally win....so it is almost like watching re-runs.
Despite what fiction trains me to hope for, studying physics tells us that there are relatively few efficient/effective ways to destroy a BattleBots opponent. So... absent rules that force contestants to build something exotic, plus more rules that would give an exotic bot a good chance to win, the tried-and-true designs from the experienced builders are very likely to dominate.

For a comparison, ask yourself how often in USA football an exotic/trick play is attempted and succeeds. Not very often. Also ask yourself how often a rookie coach or a team that did poorly in their previous season wins a division? Not very often.

But ... people still enjoy watching football and rooting for their favorite team, even if that team is a perennial also-ran.

Maybe robot battles would be more interesting if the robots operated for only 10 seconds out of every minute? During the 50 seconds the robot would be "still" in each minute, the drivers could react to their opponents previous moves, could activate/deactivate subsystems, etc.
  • The matches would last longer.
  • Armchair quaterbacks and backseat drivers would have many more opportunities to shout at their TVs.
  • You could get a cold drink from the fridge without missing too much of the action.
  • Commentators like Madden (or Dave Lavery ) could share their wisdom with us.
  • Sponsors would become more interested in covering the bots with NASCAR-style ads.
  • Etc.

Without some sort of radical change, BattleBots is going to be much more like a boxing match that ends quickly than a soccer match that ebbs and flows for 90 minutes; and even with radical changes, construction experience, and driving experience will always be very valuable.

Blake
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate

Last edited by gblake : 07-02-2016 at 12:20 PM.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 02:51 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732

XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
Also ask yourself how often a rookie coach or a team that did poorly in their previous season wins a division? Not very often.
From 2002 to 2013, a team went from last in their division on year to winning it the next year.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 03:06 PM
no team (6th Gear)

gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
From 2002 to 2013, a team went from last in their division on year to winning it the next year.
Touche!

Maybe I should have said "Conference" (16 teams) instead of "Division" (4 teams)?

Let's see if I can salvage any dignity....
  • There are 8 Divisions. One or two out of eight each year is still a fairly low fraction.
And
  • I predict BattleBots 2016 will have a few upsets/surprises.
I think the analogy remains perfect.
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)

lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to whoever is updating the Season 7 Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(Season_7)
Where are they getting the match timing?

Also, how does the seeding of the bracket work ?
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynca View Post
Thank you to whoever is updating the Season 7 Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(Season_7)
Where are they getting the match timing?

Also, how does the seeding of the bracket work ?
Probably pulling time from the youtube videos of the full fights that get posted.

Producers/Battlebots executives chose the seeding, presumably based on how competitive you were last year, how impressive you were in your first fight, the odds of you continuing to be successful, and matchups that are compelling for TV..
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2016, 11:10 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone want in on a Chief-only BB Fantasy league (http://www.battlebots.com/fantasy/)? I just created one, PM me your email and I'll add you!
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM
no team (6th Gear)

It's Thursday again - BattleBots tonight!
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Biteforce vs. Mohawk
https://youtu.be/xBgbju0eEa8

Looks like the shock mounts on biteforce's wedgelets broke. I wonder why they ran them over the hard mounts shown in the bot pictures against a non KE robot.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Biteforce vs. Mohawk
https://youtu.be/xBgbju0eEa8

Looks like the shock mounts on biteforce's wedgelets broke. I wonder why they ran them over the hard mounts shown in the bot pictures against a non KE robot.
There are no hard mounts in that pic. The ones in the picture have white electrical tape wrapped around them to satisfy Travis' OCD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: