OCCRA
Go to Post I respect what you have to say and I ask that you do the same for me. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 09:52 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest reasons Bag and Tag is terrible

Listen up, y'all. We can argue all day long about how putting our robot in giant robot c--(redacted to protect Gary Voshol) can needlessly limit teams' potential to achieve the mission of FIRST. Since the key stakeholders don't really seem to buy that as a key problem with bag and tag, I was figuring we could reflect on our recent experience with robot suffocation and think of the obnoxious little quirks of the system.

So like, why does the bag and tag form have so little space to write the time down but so much space to write down the time zone? It's so weird. Time zone only matters for the universal time for Stop Build Day. I don't think any teams are moving their robot in an unbagging period across time zones.

Anyone else smellin' what I'm steppin' in? Anyone got any other Festivus-level complaints to lob at bag and tag?

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team (3184 Alum)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The biggest reasons Bag and Tag is terrible

I was pulling the serial tag closed and I punched myself in the face.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
Listen up, y'all. We can argue all day long about how putting our robot in giant robot c--(redacted to protect Gary Voshol) can needlessly limit teams' potential to achieve the mission of FIRST. Since the key stakeholders don't really seem to buy that as a key problem with bag and tag, I was figuring we could reflect on our recent experience with robot suffocation and think of the obnoxious little quirks of the system.

So like, why does the bag and tag form have so little space to write the time down but so much space to write down the time zone? It's so weird. Time zone only matters for the universal time for Stop Build Day. I don't think any teams are moving their robot in an unbagging period across time zones.

Anyone else smellin' what I'm steppin' in? Anyone got any other Festivus-level complaints to lob at bag and tag?
Why does it have a place for a phone number? Iíve never once been called by anyone asking about this form.
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 09:57 PM
No more carpet ripping Robots
AKA: Nikita
FRC #2579 (LIC Robodogs)

Rookie Year: 2013
Bluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post

My pen ran out of ink before I could write the 9 in 11:59PM. Do we have to sit in the corner of our pit for inspiration now?

Last edited by Bluman56 : 02-27-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Multiple pits, but only one robot pit. (Unless we make a dummy rookie team for more pit space)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluman56 View Post
My pen ran out of ink before I could write the 9 in 11:59PM. Do we have to sit in the corner of our pits for inspiration now?
You have to sit for the length of time it took you to find a new pen. Youíll feel inspired though, or so Iím told.
Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:01 PM
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 2008
EricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond repute

The provided clear bag doesn't match our #AllBlackEverything aesthetic.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:01 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbrickmaster View Post
I was pulling the serial tag closed and I punched myself in the face.
These are the kinds of incidents that the media never covers.

Call your representatives in congress, people. Raise awareness.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:03 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
You have to sit for the length of time it took you to find a new pen. Youíll feel inspired though, or so Iím told.
would you say it is, in fact, part of the challenge?

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:16 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

You know, the part I never understood was why a paper form had to be involved, rather than an electronic form. Seems we're wasting lots of trees printing these things out, losing them, and reprinting them, when we could be uploading photos to a database for timestamp and distribution to all events. Take photo, mark "in" or "out", inspectors get access at events.

And half the time MIA forms have been photographed anyways...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:17 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDrost View Post
The provided clear bag doesn't match our #AllBlackEverything aesthetic.
I like to look at our robot through the clear plastic, and think about what we might do to improve it during Robot Access time.

Another mentor our team suggested the bag should be black, to prevent violations of the rule against "interfacing" with the robot. (R19E)

Does thinking about the robot while I gaze through the bag count as "interfacing"? I am not using Vulcan mind-meld.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:17 PM
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)

Rookie Year: 2006
Mike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
You know, the part I never understood was why a paper form had to be involved, rather than an electronic form. Seems we're wasting lots of trees printing these things out, losing them, and reprinting them, when we could be uploading photos to a database for timestamp and distribution to all events. Take photo, mark "in" or "out", inspectors get access at events.

And half the time MIA forms have been photographed anyways...
Let's put FIRST IT on it right away.

Kettering University ('09-'13) University of Michigan ('14-'18)
FLL ('01-'02), FRC Team 27 ('06-'09), Team 397 ('10), Team 3450/314 ('11), Team 67 ('14-'??)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:18 PM
AKA: Scott Meredith
FRC #5895 (Peddie School Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

scottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond repute

I feel bad for the tags that we use during robot access periods. They only get to hold the robot captive for a day or two at most.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Seeking CD cool kid club nomination
AKA: Brandon Liatys
FRC #2180 (Zero Gravity)

Rookie Year: 2007
Brandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond repute

I keep putting the robot in the crate but the fedex guy never shows up

FRC 2495 - Hamilton West Robotics [2007-2014] - 2013 Seneca Winner; 2014 Lenape Quality Award, MAR DCMP alliance captain, H.E.R.E. Captain & Winner
FRC 2180 - Zero Gravity [2017-]
- 2017 Hatboro Spirit Award; 2018 Westtown Winner, Seneca Finalist

frclocks.com
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schreiber View Post
Let's put FIRST IT on it right away.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:29 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Why does it have a place for a phone number?
They sell them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: