OCCRA
Go to Post what the HECK are you guys using there?!?!?! - dodar [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Average Dig

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Average Dig

Nice! My team is raising money to do something similar. Keep us posted on the progress.

Out of curiosity, do you have an estimated timeline for completion? What do you expect it to cost (for the structure at least)? And what kind of structure are you building?

We're looking into building what amounts to a glorified 60'x80' pole barn (insulated, of course), but I'm always interested to know what other teams have done for their own workspaces.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM
I represent my views, not my team's
AKA: Tanner Duncan
FRC #5460 (Strike Zone)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
tanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nice

There has also been a lot of talk about building a facility similar to that in Lapeer, MI. It has been imaged as a multi room structure. There would be a community machine shop, and 5 or so separate rooms for any team looking for a building facility in Lapeer county. All of these would lead to a practice field in the center of the building in which all teams could work on auton and hold scrims against each other. Sadly this was my final year on the team so I won't be there to experience the planning/building of the structure, but I am excited to see what they do in the future.
2016: Lead Mechanical, Operator, District Finalist (FIM-Kettering #1), Industrial Design Award (FIM-Kettering #1), District Finalist (FIM-Lansing), Creativity Award (FIM-Lansing), District Championship Finalist (MSC)
2017: Team Captain, Driver, Excellence in Engineering Award (FIM Kettering #1), District Winner (FIM-Troy), Judges' Award (FIM-Troy)
2018: Team Captain, Driver, District Finalist (FIM-Troy), Quality Award (FIM-Troy), Innovation in Control Award (MSC)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:25 AM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
There has also been a lot of talk about building a facility similar to that in Lapeer, MI. It has been imaged as a multi room structure. There would be a community machine shop, and 5 or so separate rooms for any team looking for a building facility in Lapeer county. All of these would lead to a practice field in the center of the building in which all teams could work on auton and hold scrims against each other.
With air conditioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman172000 View Post
Sadly this was my final year on the team so I won't be there to experience the planning/building of the structure, but I am excited to see what they do in the future.
There's always the option to come back as a mentor!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM
I represent my views, not my team's
AKA: Tanner Duncan
FRC #5460 (Strike Zone)
Team Role: Alumni

tanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
With air conditioning?

There's always the option to come back as a mentor!
Yes there will be air conditioning
I also will be attending Michigan Tech. up in South Canada so I could help out 5460 in the summer. During school I plan on helping team 857 as much as I can.
2016: Lead Mechanical, Operator, District Finalist (FIM-Kettering #1), Industrial Design Award (FIM-Kettering #1), District Finalist (FIM-Lansing), Creativity Award (FIM-Lansing), District Championship Finalist (MSC)
2017: Team Captain, Driver, Excellence in Engineering Award (FIM Kettering #1), District Winner (FIM-Troy), Judges' Award (FIM-Troy)
2018: Team Captain, Driver, District Finalist (FIM-Troy), Quality Award (FIM-Troy), Innovation in Control Award (MSC)

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats! Our team is investigating getting a community field somewhere. Lots of work and cost! Congrats!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Nice on the groundbreaking. After moving this year, I can tell that amount of space would be very good, maybe ideal, for my team. We have to compromise a bit with a little more than half that space, but I'm very happy with the room the school is providing us, likely on a permanent basis. Also, as I see it we are adjacent to other spaces that if we are successful might become available, so that is a long-term goal.

Also, I've been working in our new space over the summer, including some days topping 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and we have no air conditioning. So it is a bit funny to see the talk of air conditioning in Michigan, where the average summer temperatures are 10 degrees cooler. Between the old and new building, the new one has very good insulation, which keeps the building fairly comfortable (we still use some fans to circulate the air a little and the air can get a little humid at times). The building does have heat for build season.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
With air conditioning?
The real question is does it have Heating in the winter?! Michigan winters can be brutal
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfrom308 View Post
The real question is does it have Heating in the winter?! Michigan winters can be brutal
True Story: we actually investigated what it would cost to put in-floor heating in when we build ours, for exactly this reason (might be more efficient too, given the type of structure).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Your contractor has good taste in construction equipment.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
whoo woo whoo woo whoo woo whoo woo
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)

Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Few times, they've been around that track.

2018 | Gracious Professionalism x3, Asheville Winners, NCCMP Finalists, NC District - 3rd Rank
2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Rank
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Rank
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nice! My team is raising money to do something similar. Keep us posted on the progress.

Out of curiosity, do you have an estimated timeline for completion? What do you expect it to cost (for the structure at least)? And what kind of structure are you building?

We're looking into building what amounts to a glorified 60'x80' pole barn (insulated, of course), but I'm always interested to know what other teams have done for their own workspaces.
Thanks! We will post more pictures as the project moves forward.

The design is a pre-engineered steel frame; basically five I-beam trusses spaced at 20 ft. intervals, spanning the full building width. No poles.

Air conditioning and heating are in the plan, using roof-mounted air handlers.

Entrances: at the back include a large overhead door, in the front (facing the street) for student drop-off and pick-up, and to the existing building at the shop doors.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

Former parking lot? If a single parking space is harmed for the benefit of a program on my campus there would be a riot.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Checks out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: