OCCRA
Go to Post Either this entry is the winner or Andy needs professional help. I can't quite decide which... - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Do you include your own team on your picklists?
Yes 110 45.08%
No 109 44.67%
What picklist? 25 10.25%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Undeserving of a fan club
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute
Do you include your own team on your picklist?

The question is the title. Some teams find it to be helpful for getting a sense for where they stand in relation to the competition. I personally think it's a time sink during a busy evening. I'd love to hear more opinions on the matter.

edit: to clarify, this is not asking if you scout yourself. I really hope you do. I am asking if, when composing your ranking of teams by desirability to pick, do you also rank yourself?
2018: Central New York Winner (2791, 340, 5030, 7081), Tech Valley Finalist (2791, 20, 3624, 5123), Darwin Division QF, IRI Invite, Ruckus Winners (3015, 2791, 6868, 3173), Robot Rumble Winners (2791, 5254, 3044)
2017: Tech Valley Winner (333, 2791, 5952), Curie Division QF, IRI Invite, Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 5881, 1880)
2016: Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257)
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257)

2017-present, SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers
2018: Regular Season Finalist, Championship 3rd Place, Fantasy FIM Finalist
2017: Regular Season Winner, Championship Winner, Fantasy FIM Finalist, IRI Winner

Last edited by Brian Maher : 11-06-2018 at 12:41 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 12:22 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you include your own team on your picklist?

I would say that my team SCOUTS ourselves. Do we include ourselves on our own picklist? Nope. But it is nice to be able to see if we're just getting a tough schedule vs playing badly vs missing RP.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 01:41 AM
AKA: Carl Springli
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)(EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
KrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to favor including our team's number in a list we generate, but more as a place holder than a source of discussion. The last thing we all need at a meeting that's running late after a long day of robots is to feel frustrated that a list is only 23 teams long, only to realize that the 24th team in any of the scenarios that impact our future was obvious all along.

We also use that list and the rankings to talk about possible scenarios that could play out, so I find it easiest to have lists, rankings, and potential alliances that include the same sets of team nunbers. IMO, it makes it easier to consider all possible angles when all of the numbers are in front of us.

The only thing worth discussing in terms of a self-evaluation of performance in this sense would be a rational semblance of where we may expect to fall on other teams' picklists, based on the information available to us. That decision is beyond our team's control, but it can help to be prepared if any discussions with other teams may need to occur the next day to attempt to influence their choices in alliance selection.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 07:24 AM
AKA: Andy
FRC #4028 (The Beak Squad)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
aciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant futureaciarniello has a brilliant future

We generally do have that discussion early on in the evening for three reasons.
The first is to help with the discussion of what robot attributes would best complement us on an alliance. I.e. if we can pick a clone of ourselves, should we?

The other is to calibrate where we stand relative to the field and to try to understand what the top robots might do with their picks. I.e. if we put ourselves in X position, what slot will we be picking from and who, realistically, will be left to pick?

I think it leads to valuable discussion and also gives us an opportunity to bring our, let's say, "more confident" team members back to reality a little bit. "Oh you think we're better than XYZ? The data might suggest otherwise..."

On the topic of the data, I think comparing our numbers to the field helps me to calibrate what those numbers really say about a given robot. As drive coach I don't get to see a ton of matches but I know what we've been able to do so seeing how we compare to other teams helps to give better answers to the first two questions.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Strategy 'n Stuff
FTC #15096 (The Holland BioHazards)

Rookie Year: 2013
Nate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud of

I wouldn't say my high school team put ourselves on our own pick list. We always scouted ourselves, and we always looked at where we stood in our own objective data, but as far as we were concerned (when I was on strategy at the very least) we were having a pick-list meeting to discuss other robots and not ourselves.
2018-Present - Mentor, FTC 15096 - The Holland BioHazards

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

I said yes, but only because our team is naturally included in our first sort rankings from our quantitative data. From there, we go through a process of evaluating teams, with a focus on things our system isn't sophisticated enough to detect on its own - for example, a team that has seen improvement over the course of the event, where their early matches may weigh down their performance relative to where they are now, or the reverse, where a team had something break that has severely degraded their performance in more recent matches, and early matches are propping them up on our rankings. We also look at intangibles from the drive team experience - teams that were difficult to work with, for example.

On our final picklist, our team does not make an appearance. But it's definitely good to know where we fall on that initial, quantitative sort before any qualitative measures come into play.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Depends on if we're preparing a picklist for another team or not.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 11:17 AM
FRC #2502

Whatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's team generally did last year but part of that was because they didn't use a linear list. The second pick ranking had dependencies on the abilities of the first pick, what other teams would be looking for, and what is in the pool. For example this year the climbing ability of a first pick effected the considerations of the climber of a second pick.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM
AKA: Just Call me Cheetah
FRC #6088 (Eagles)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2016
Scout6088 is an unknown quantity at this point

My team really only started scouting this last year, and we scouted ourselves, but didn't include ourselves in our pick list. It would seem almost detrimental to the process, i did look to see how we placed beside the other teams, but not on our picklist.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

319 includes ourselves in our pick list meetings, but not really on the official list. We mostly do it for comedic relief when pick list meetings start to drag.

Sometimes we roast ourselves, sometimes we make up silly qualities, sometimes we investigate where we actually stand among the competition, but we don't take it too seriously.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Mechanical/Electrical/Scouting
AKA: Adam Smith
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Rookie Year: 2005
ASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to beholdASmith1675 is a splendid one to behold

We tend to include ourselves in picklists we create for two major reasons (one of which I've seen mentioned).

First, its useful to include yourself as a placeholder to act as reminder that although 24 teams will play in eliminations, only 23 additional teams will be selected (in addition to your team).

Second, when sitting in the 9-12 spots it starts to give you an idea on whether you might be selected before you move up into a picking spot. Its hard to disconnect yourself and be objective in this measurement, but its still nice to have a bit of a guess as to how alliance selections might play out.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmith1675 View Post
Its still nice to have a bit of a guess as to how alliance selections might play out.
1296 did as well and it was 100% for a "if other teams prioritize what we do, where do we land". I think there is benefit in trying to understand what other teams will do - if #1 is likely going to pick TeamWithAnExploitableWeakness then we might as well keep that in mind.

Additionally, its valuable data for improvement to know where we stand to prepare for the next event.

The last potentially useful item that I've never had to worry about is a situation where a team is seeded high but ranked (by their own metrics) low. If you're first seed and there are 5 bots objectively better than you - do you scorch the field? Do you try to prevent potential embarrassment? Do you care?

I don't mind if scouting meetings run late... I think they are a lot of fun and team members are only allowed to stay as long as they are being productive which keeps things moving.

1675->3928->1296->??
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 03:36 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

In my mind (and I'm not sure that this is how my team does it), a pick list should only be a list of possible picks in the order that you are looking to pick them. Adding your own team into the list only serves to confuse whoever is making the final decision come alliance selection time. You will never have to pick your own team, so why put them as an option on your list?

That being said, it is definitely important to know where you rank relative to other teams, what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what qualities you need from other teams to be able to form an effective alliance. Being able to consider various ways alliance selection may play out is necessary to develop an educated pick list, as well as an accept/decline list.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 04:01 PM
SLFF: CHS | FFiT: CN
AKA: Jeffrey Tessitore
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2017
ThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant futureThatSoftwareGuy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_UPS View Post
SNIP
To add on to Katie's point, I think it also helps if you're in the middle of the draft as far as captains go.

Without pointing out any specific scenario, there were a couple times on 1296 where based on our picking position and based on the fact that captain X just invited us, we knew we could decline because there were enough robots remaining that could work well with us that it was completely safe to decline and still pick one from position Y. Ranking ourselves on our list beforehand allowed us to gain this insight that other teams may not have had.

FRC:
2018-?: Computer Engineering Student at Texas Tech University
2018: FRC 1296 Full Metal Jackets VP Software & Scouting Captain
2017-2018: FRC 1296 Full Metal Jackets Student
Fantasy FIRST:
2018-?: SLFF Chesapeake Hype Squad (CHS), FFiT Chaotic Neutral (CN)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 04:05 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)

BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

No. Generally the final picklists include qualitative information after our final deliberations/meetings so its hard to do that clearly for your own team.

We do ask our scouts to rank us to the rest of the field on quantitative aspects like gears scored, cubes placed, frisbees scored, etc. so we know how we compare to the field on specific metrics.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: