Go to Post And now I'll just take a moment and say that you've all gone completely insane. That is all. - galewind [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D
FRC #1591 (Greece Gladiators)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Steve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Steve S. Send a message via MSN to Steve S. Send a message via Yahoo to Steve S.
NY FIRST- ALL NY Teams Read!!!

Just a thought:

How about creating NY FIRST (New York FIRST)? What would this do and what would be its purpose? (general)

1. To Bring together all New York Teams
2. To educate the public about FIRST and teach its mission
3. To help start new FIRST teams (FLL, FVC or FRC)
4. To help struggling teams still be able to participate
5. To create a better FIRST experience

What things would be done? (examples)

1. NY wide fundraising for teams
2. To create more Regionals and off/pre season events
3. A place to help FIRST students get internships

In case you couldnt figure it out, this would be for NY teams, whether it be FRC, FLL or FVC teams.
This would help expand FIRST to those School Districts that may not have the neccesary resources to create teams.

What are your thoughts on this?
(more info will be posted soon)
More info can be obtained by emailing 1591.FIRST@gmail.com

This would most likely be run by Rochester Area Teams (because my team is located in rochester and would be easier to run working with local teams) but i would like reps. from around NY (at least one from every team)

Info will be available at NYFIRST.team1591.com soon (this is not a site yet) i will post when this site is up

PS: this is an idea from my head, not from my team, do not contact them about it only me!

Last edited by Steve S. : 03-05-2006 at 02:28 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:31 PM
yupp...
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
no team
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NY FIRST- ALL NY Teams Read!!!

What a great idea, get it going and im sure i'd help any way i could! Let's go NY let's go!

We have to have some bot here in NY that will dethrown that NJ 25 bot.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:33 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

Steve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Steve S. Send a message via MSN to Steve S. Send a message via Yahoo to Steve S.

im working on the first NY FIRST manual/info book
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:38 PM
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
YonZ has a spectacular aura aboutYonZ has a spectacular aura about

Awesome idea, can't wait to join!
  • 2004- NYC Regional Entrepreneurship Award / NYC Regional Quarterfinalists

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:40 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

an idea may be to get some sponsors of the NY FIRST and use the funding to help start new teams and struggling ones
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2006, 11:39 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

Handbook Available!!!
http://www.team1591.com/NYFIRST.pdf

Last edited by Steve S. : 03-05-2006 at 04:12 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
None #1155 (Sciborgs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Simon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Simon Strauss

I'm game just pm me with the info.

New Jersey Regional Finalists thanks to teams 359 and 486 Aloha

"Beware of the Ska Robot Army!" -The Aquabats
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are really thinking about doing this I would also suggest talking to Karthik and seeing how a smaller group of teams work together. (i.e. NiagaraFIRST)
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 12:27 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST is a registered trademark. Before you start an orginazation with "FIRST" in the name you will have to look into the legal aspects of using the name and the logo.

I know everyone in this thread is on the up&up, but imagine if some scammers started an organizition called WhateverFIRST and began fundraising....

you get the idea, FIRST has to protect their name and trademark.

Im not a lawyer, but I think at the minimum you would have to get a letter of permission from FIRST
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 02:15 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
FIRST is a registered trademark. Before you start an orginazation with "FIRST" in the name you will have to look into the legal aspects of using the name and the logo.

I know everyone in this thread is on the up&up, but imagine if some scammers started an organizition called WhateverFIRST and began fundraising....

you get the idea, FIRST has to protect their name and trademark.

Im not a lawyer, but I think at the minimum you would have to get a letter of permission from FIRST
Yeah, i know that......right now we are just talking about it

edit: i have contacted/ emailed FIRST about this.....

and FYI: we need someone to help with the website design!!

Last edited by Steve S. : 03-05-2006 at 02:28 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:11 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

Yeah, i know i should just edit the last post (people tend not to read long posts)

The Flyer for FLR has been made and can be found here:

NY FIRST FLYER
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
AKA Ian Ferguson
AKA: Ian Ferguson
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ianworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ianworld

Not to be opposed to what looks like could be a great organization but I think there is a large divide between the New York City teams and the teams outside the city. Every year the NYC regional is dominated by basically just NYC teams. This is due in part to the size of the regional in relation to the number of NYC teams (33 open slots for about 30 NYC teams) and fact that many NYC schools aren't as well funded or as well equipped as non-city teams. My school is lucky in that we have a real machine shop to work in, not a large one but its all we need. Many teams in NYC don't even have the resources of a drill press or a band saw. Along those lines the majority of NYC teams never get a chance to participate in a regional outside of NYC. The world of FIRST to many of these teams is quite small and local. So while I support the creation of such an organization as NY FIRST I think it would be more beneficial for the teams in NYC to band together in a similar organization albeit on the scale of just the city. The logistics of such an organization of course needs to be spearheaded by a team and it wouldn't be an easy task.

That being said 694 has had the chances and the resources to attend many regionals outside of NYC and attend the nationals multiple times. The scope of our FIRST world is such that an organization that affects NY teams outside the city would affect us. Joining an organization such as this in our case would make sense.

Just trying to shed some light on the nature of FIRST in New York City.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianworld
Not to be opposed to what looks like could be a great organization but I think there is a large divide between the New York City teams and the teams outside the city. Every year the NYC regional is dominated by basically just NYC teams. This is due in part to the size of the regional in relation to the number of NYC teams (33 open slots for about 30 NYC teams) and fact that many NYC schools aren't as well funded or as well equipped as non-city teams. My school is lucky in that we have a real machine shop to work in, not a large one but its all we need. Many teams in NYC don't even have the resources of a drill press or a band saw. Along those lines the majority of NYC teams never get a chance to participate in a regional outside of NYC. The world of FIRST to many of these teams is quite small and local. So while I support the creation of such an organization as NY FIRST I think it would be more beneficial for the teams in NYC to band together in a similar organization albeit on the scale of just the city. The logistics of such an organization of course needs to be spearheaded by a team and it wouldn't be an easy task.

That being said 694 has had the chances and the resources to attend many regionals outside of NYC and attend the nationals multiple times. The scope of our FIRST world is such that an organization that affects NY teams outside the city would affect us. Joining an organization such as this in our case would make sense.

Part of NY FIRST will be to help the less privileged teams get more funding and be able to go to other regionals. (read the handbook)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianworld

Yeah that is about how NY is. NYC FIRST is pretty much teams going to the twoNY regionals mostly and the Upstate teams are usually stronger teams that are more active in International FIRST. So it's like two whole different worlds on the opposite sides of the state (most of the upstate teams are in Western NY) and there is no feasible way for the teams to get together regualrly to work together. A NYC FIRST (which I think there already is) and an Upstate NY FIRST may be a better idea.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
AKA: Shane O
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Mechanical

TheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really niceTheNotoriousKid is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cormier
What a great idea, get it going and im sure i'd help any way i could! Let's go NY let's go!

We have to have some bot here in NY that will dethrown that NJ 25 bot.
You can try but we have already put in our minds dat we are coming back stronger and more mature

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: