OCCRA
Go to Post I trust my life to a 3650 pound rolling chunk of metal every day that, if some silicon failed in just the right (wrong?) way, would splat me pretty quickly, but I have faith in engineering. On the other hand, it doesn't turn me upside down. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Chief of FUN
no team (First Updates Now)

Rookie Year: 2001
Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Corsetto, Emerson, Holley Debate 8:30pm ET Tonight!

Tonight starting at 8:30pm ET Roasts and Robots bring together great minds from the community to debate some of the most pressing issues in FRC live on air! Giveaway from Word Play All Day if you watch live!

Watch at https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow or https://www.thebluealliance.com/watch/fun

Guests tonight:
Mike Corsetto from FRC1678
Adrienne Emerson from FRC148
Brandon Holley from FRC125

Debate topics:
Volunteer experiences
Preliminary regional schedules
Should all events switch to Saturday-Sunday
Different district models and how this could evolve
Team experiences in districts now and in the future

Edit: Thank you everyone who tuned in live. We had an awesome live turnout. For those who didn't get a chance to watch these electric discussions or want to re-watch the stream here are the segments:

Roasts and Robots: The Future of Districts
Roasts and Robots: 2019 Schedule Impact & Sat-Sun Events
CD Moderator

Last edited by Tyler Olds : 08-23-2018 at 05:40 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Corsetto, Emerson, Holley Debate 8:30pm ET Tonight!

775pro stall capabilities and 775pros in drivetrains has been a pretty hot topic lately, with a lot of well-informed people not being able to come to an agreement.

I'm sure it's too late to add discussion topics for this show, but I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of some of FRC's best mentors in the future.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM
AKA: Braeden (I speak for myself, not for my team)
FRC #3461 (Operation P.E.A.C.C.E.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Zem will become famous soon enough

How about the balance issue of teams capabilities, resources, and success.

Am I the only person that thinks this is a problem or are there others.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zem View Post
How about the balance issue of teams capabilities, resources, and success.

Am I the only person that thinks this is a problem or are there others.
Unsure what you mean specifically, can you explain more?

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Chief of FUN
no team (First Updates Now)

Rookie Year: 2001
Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
775pro stall capabilities and 775pros in drivetrains has been a pretty hot topic lately, with a lot of well-informed people not being able to come to an agreement.

I'm sure it's too late to add discussion topics for this show, but I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of some of FRC's best mentors in the future.
If we don't get to this tonight there's a good chance we will grab this for Candidly Speaking next week.
CD Moderator
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Olds View Post
If we don't get to this tonight there's a good chance we will grab this for Candidly Speaking next week.
If/when you do discuss 775Pros, any chance you can snag some guest spots for people from VEXPro or notable electrical engineering wizards (like Al) to chime in?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
Unsure what you mean specifically, can you explain more?
Sure. You know how some teams can do it all. They build two absolutely ineradicable robots that can do everything extremely well with lots of custom parts every year. They have lots of time to but together a jaw dropping autonomous before there first event. You look at them and just know that they will be rank #1 and win the event. Then they also get Chairman's, a Woodie, and Deans List and go to worlds every year. And they have a team with lots and lots of students and mentors.

Compared to the teams that have no money and can barley get a drive train and one simple mechanism to function.

This, I think is a problem.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure. You know how some teams can do it all. They build two absolutely ineradicable robots that can do everything extremely well with lots of custom parts every year. They have lots of time to but together a jaw dropping autonomous before there first event. You look at them and just know that they will be rank #1 and win the event. Then they also get Chairman's, a Woodie, and Deans List and go to worlds every year. And they have a team with lots and lots of students and mentors.

Compared to the teams that have no money and can barley get a drive train and one simple mechanism to function.

Better take away all those teams resources so they can't do all that awesome stuff! While we're at it, better distribute their mentors out to other teams because they shouldn't get to have all that experience on one team.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Engineering Captain
FRC #0226 (Hammerheads)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
PrathikM will become famous soon enoughPrathikM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmattlythgoe View Post
Better take away all those teams resources so they can't do all that awesome stuff! While we're at it, better distribute their mentors out to other teams because they shouldn't get to have all that experience on one team.
I don't think he's saying we should remove those resources from the top tier teams, but instead try to create better resources for lower level teams? The best teams to create these kinda resources would be the teams that already achieved this level of success.

Team 226 (2017-Present)

2018-2019 Engineering Captain
2017-2018 CAD/Strategy Lead
2018 Backup Driver, Chairman's Presenter, EI Presenter
Fantasy FIRST : Hammmerheads
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Breathe in... Breathe out...
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2002
Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrathikM View Post
I don't think he's saying we should remove those resources from the top tier teams, but instead try to create better resources for lower level teams? The best teams to create these kinda resources would be the teams that already achieved this level of success.
www.thecompassalliance.org

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
If/when you do discuss 775Pros, any chance you can snag some guest spots for people from VEXPro or notable electrical engineering wizards (like Al) to chime in?
Or you know, someone who has actually run a 775 pro drivetrain in competition
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Team Leader
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Or you know, someone who has actually run a 775 pro drivetrain in competition
We have, it was great, would do it again.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrathikM View Post
Yes this is what I am saying.

As for www.thecompassalliance.org I have looked at it and it seems helpful. Thank you.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As for www.thecompassalliance.org I have looked at it and it seems helpful
I thought I was good at understatement.
Clarke's Laws
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll take an additional stab at describing a topic based around this. How about discussion centered on members of new teams, understanding and responding to the imbalance of technical achievement.

What does it mean to be a high-performing team? How does one get there? On that journey, what attitude should one take? Should FIRST HQ have a goal as to the technical achievements that teams should strive for?

Again, not required for this round of FUN, but a potential future topic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: