OCCRA
Go to Post What? No Poof balls as pillows? Phfff. Amateur. :p - artdutra04 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Misplaced Californian
FRC #1684 (The Chimeras)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Niklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond reputeNiklas701 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So you want to build a reveal video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Out of curiosity, did you do anything to stabilize the camera during those cinematic shots?
If i recall correctly, the gentleman running the camera (701 Alumni) had a whole camera set up that he had to stabilize the shots. I don't know the specifics.

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Design and Drive Team Mentor
AKA: Frank E.G. Shiner
FRC #0701 (The RoboVikes)

Rookie Year: 2009
bEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Out of curiosity, did you do anything to stabilize the camera during those cinematic shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas674 View Post
If i recall correctly, the gentleman running the camera (701 Alumni) had a whole camera set up that he had to stabilize the shots. I don't know the specifics.
For all the shots with the robot operating on the field, I use Glide Gear's DNA 6001 Vest and Arm Stabilization Kit with DNA 5050 Stabilizer.
It's the least expensive system of its kind that I could find, and works well when time, patience, and practice is put into practicing its operation. I've had more practice using it since last year's reveal, so I hope that this year's video should look even smoother. Another thing that I might integrate into that system is to wear my Heelys skate shoes if I'm filming anything on a hard, flat surface.

For the shots of the CNC, 3D printers, and closeups of the robot before the field operation part of the video, I used a linear slide constructed from the slide we used in the tote grabber of our 2015 robot. For the arc shots of the robot, I set the camera on one of our moving carts and pushed it around the robot. You can make your own custom slide from various components like I did, but Glide Gear also sells sliders.

I also used a warp stabilizer on some shots that had a little bit of shake still, but as I recommend in my previous post in this thread, keep warp stabilization at an absolute minimum. Warp stabilizers really only work successfully on shots that are already stabilized by analog means, and is used as a subtle finishing touch and should never be the only means of stabilization.

#33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Berkeley Engineering
AKA: Mitchel Stokes
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Mitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond repute

A reveal video is not complete without a bench grinder.

Betts Company Engineering Intern: Summer 2018

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized
are those who don't take risks."
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2017, 09:25 AM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to music: If you're willing to spend a bit of money on made-for-purpose royalty-free music for video production work, I have been very pleased with the selection available from PremiumBeat.com. AudioJungle is cheaper, and a bit more hit and miss, but also has some good pieces.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
no team (FullMetal Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

As reveal videos are starting to be made, y'all please look through this thread for tips. It's good, trust me.

#36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2017, 02:24 AM
Design and Drive Team Mentor
AKA: Frank E.G. Shiner
FRC #0701 (The RoboVikes)

Rookie Year: 2009
bEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond reputebEdhEd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Boucher View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your viewpoints on what will be the next hot thing in reveal videos: in my opinion parodies are still great but are becoming formulaic, and I'm thinking drone-shots are about to jump the shark.
Drones would be great for teams with large practice areas!

HOWEVER:

I'm not sure if I would be using drones for reveals anytime soon, considering that they create a lot of noise and for me that's not good because I record audio from inside the robot and I don't want the noise pollution. Drones are also really inefficient and I would have to get huge one for the camera I use. I prefer to not shoot with GoPro, so a small drone is not something I foresee in my own videos. I am, however looking at a jib that works with my arm and vest system so I can get silent aerial shots. Chances are, this would be put to use in the 2018 video.

My advice for any teams trying to get aerial shots in a smaller space with hazardous areas, maybe look into jibs instead, especially if you use cameras that are heavier than GoPros.

#37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2017, 07:56 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEdhEd View Post
Drones would be great for teams with large practice areas!

HOWEVER:

I'm not sure if I would be using drones for reveals anytime soon, considering that they create a lot of noise and for me...
Ah, this is great information, thank you for sharing! I personally was genuinely surprised about the use of smoke machines this year over the use of drones, akin to the first year that particles came out in 3D Studio max and everyone was able to animate sparks for the first time in the Animation award. Hopefully we keep innovating as the years go by!
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2017, 06:58 AM
AKA: Minion
FRC #5556 (5556)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
adam5556 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great advice. I think the most important part of a reveal video is its relevance to your team. Killer Bees had so their robot acted like a killer bee. My team is Carraigetown robotics so maybe we could have it pull someone around in something that looks kinda like a carriage. Its just an idea but y'all get my point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: