OCCRA
Go to Post Computers have a nasty habit of doing exactly what you tell them to do instead of what you want them to do. - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:15 AM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to all
Rubber Belting

So I've seen some teams, especially during Steamworks that use rubber belting to intake balls. This is an example: https://youtu.be/ewTCvLp5EUo?t=51s
How do you make sure that the belt actually spins as the rod spins and prevent the belt from just slipping and only the rod spinning?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rubber Belting

Those belts are colloquially known as "flat polycord", technically "Flat Polyurethane Belting" from McMaster. This is the 3/4" wide version.

The product page specifies a minimum pulley diameter. The belt is pretty grippy (hence why it's used for intakes). If you use a pulley larger than the one specified that's not made from a very low friction material, and tighten the belt sufficiently, the belt grips on to the pulley like it grips on to the ball being intook and rolls with it. Using a crowned pulley helps keep the belt aligned without needing flanges. I've used the round variant of this, and seen a number of teams using the flat variant, and it is a pretty easy-to-implement solution.

edit: Here's video I found very helpful in explaining how crowned pulleys work
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Last edited by AriMB : 08-11-2018 at 10:32 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Youíll also want to be familiar with crowned pulleys. Itís easy enough to make them using some string and electrical tape.
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:31 AM

risho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Those belts are colloquially known as "flat polycord", technically "Flat Polyurethane Belting" from McMaster. This is the 3/4" wide version.

The product page specifies a minimum pulley diameter. The belt is pretty grippy (hence why it's used for intakes). If you use a pulley larger than the one specified that's not made from a very low friction material, and tighten the belt sufficiently, the belt grips on to the pulley like it grips on to the ball being intook and rolls with it. Using a crowned pulley helps keep the belt aligned without needing flanges. I've used the round variant of this, and seen a number of teams using the flat variant, and it is a pretty easy-to-implement solution.
I see so then you only need some sorta pulley? Doesn't necessarily need to have teeth or something?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:35 AM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
I see so then you only need some sorta pulley? Doesn't necessarily need to have teeth or something?
Nope, no teeth necessary. In fact, teeth will probably make the pulley less effective because there's less surface area for the belt to grip on to.

If you have the ability, I would recommend 3D printing the pulleys. It should be easy to make a simple model of a cylinder with a slight bulge in the center and a hex broach for driving. 100% infill and you shouldn't have any problem with strength unless you plan on banging them against the ground or something.

If you can't do that, you can probably make them using the Vex Delrin hex spacers and some tape for the crown without too much effort.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Correct--torque is transferred by the friction between the belt and the pulley.

Round belts are also available, which is what I've used in the past. Mostly because, for the longest time since they started appearing in robots, urethane flat belts were only available in orange and we were building robots on the campus of a college that feels a certain way about orange. With access to a lathe, pulleys weren't particularly tough to groove.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Youíll also want to be familiar with crowned pulleys. Itís easy enough to make them using some string and electrical tape.
Do you mind explaining that?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Round belts are also available, which is what I've used in the past. Mostly because, for the longest time since they started appearing in robots, urethane flat belts were only available in orange and we were building robots on the campus of a college that feels a certain way about orange. With access to a lathe, pulleys weren't particularly tough to groove.
The only thing I didn't like about my experience with round polycord was that the pulleys need substantial flanges to not travel. That meant that we had to space the two sets of opposite belts farther apart to provide clearance for the non-compliant balls, which made the belts grip the balls looser than we would have liked. If we had used flat polycord with crowned pulleys, we wouldn't have needed flanged pulleys and the belts could have been closer together. Certainly there are cases where the round ones would work (maybe even better sometimes), but I think I would use the flat ones if presented with the choice again.

Last edited by AriMB : 08-11-2018 at 11:24 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
The only thing I didn't like about my experience with round polycord was that the pulleys need substantial flanges to not travel. That meant that we had to space the belts farther apart to provide clearance for the non-compliant balls, which made the belts grip the balls looser than we would have liked. If we had used flat polycord with crowned pulleys, we wouldn't have needed flanged pulleys and the belts could have been closer together. Certainly there are cases where the round ones would work (maybe even better sometimes), but I think I would use the flat ones if presented with the choice again.
Agreed. The last time I needed to use them was 2017, when 5402 was not under the same constraints about orange being in Indiana...but our (my) knowledge base was in round belts and we had easy lathe access, so we stuck with round belts.

Now that VEX and WCP have black flat belts, I'm inclined to give them a shot next time we need them.

2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 12:20 PM
45 Alumni
AKA: Peyton Yeung
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2009
Peyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond repute

One thing we discovered this offseason is that AndyMark wheels make good pulleys. If you use a belt that's > than the width of a wheel it works just like a crowned pulley.

2017 Tippy Quarter Finalist, St. Joe Semi finalist

2016 Tippy Quarter Finalist, Warren Finalist, IN State Semi Finalist,B^3 Double Finalist
2015 Indy Semi finalist, Purdue Quarter Finalist, IN State Quarter Finalist, CORI QF, R2OC Finalist, RAGE Winner
2014 Boilermaker Semi finalist, Crossroads Quarter Finalist, & CAGE Quarter Finalist
45 Technokats
2013 Boilermaker Quarter finalist
2012 CAGE Semi finalist & Queen City Champion
2011 CAGE Quarter finalist & Midwest Semi finalist
2010 CAGE Quarter finalist, Boilermaker Champion, & Washington DC Quarter Finalist
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to be aware of: The polyurethane belts have to have a decent amount of pre-tension in order to transfer any torque. Multiply that by several belts in a wide conveyor, and you can easily end up with enough tension to deflect a 1/2" hex shaft. Plan to use a stronger tube axle in that case.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
Something else to be aware of: The polyurethane belts have to have a decent amount of pre-tension in order to transfer any torque. Multiply that by several belts in a wide conveyor, and you can easily end up with enough tension to deflect a 1/2" hex shaft. Plan to use a stronger tube axle in that case.
Can this remedied by putting an additional bearing support in like the middle?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Can this remedied by putting an additional bearing support in like the middle?
If you were that hard up, probably. But you'll increase the chances of binding in the system, which may or may not be a problem depending on your power inputs and desired speed outputs.

Planning to use a VersaRoller or some other tube axle setup from the start is probably going to be simpler and more effective for 99% of applications that use flat belts. For round belts, you'd have to get a little more inventive (but then, you're already busting out a lathe so there).

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Place some string under some electrical tape to act as the crowned pulley.
Clarke's Laws
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sM0Qjumyro

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: