OCCRA
Go to Post These are the moments you will bring with you the rest of your life, enjoy them! - KathieK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM
4933T15
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rubber Belting

We always lap welded the belts on 341. Once you practice a few times, it's dead simple. We didn't even use a hot plate - just a wooden fixture the width of the belt, a metal plate to press down on top, and a pair of heat guns.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Mentor
AKA: Clint Ott
FRC #1619
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Clint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond reputeClint Ott has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
There's lots of videos out there that show you how to do it.

McMaster kit.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#belt-welding-kits/=1e57vo0

The MM clamp is expensive but there are cheaper alternatives.
We've used the same kit McMaster sells the last to years (on loan from a sponsor) and have had pretty good success. We didn't use it as a conveyor but rather as a low profile power transfer for our collectors in 2017 and 2018.

As far as the belt material goes, for some reason we had better success with the orange MM flat belt than the black belt sold by Vex. Probably user error.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Travis
FRC #2723 (Team Rocket)

Rookie Year: 2011
BSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud of

How about something like this?

http://www.grifiti.com/band-joes.html

One of our FTC teams used it a couple of years ago for transferring plastic balls to a shooter (but ended up using surgical tubing because they needed a little more thickness). They seemed pretty strong.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2018, 08:59 PM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Correct--torque is transferred by the friction between the belt and the pulley.

Round belts are also available, which is what I've used in the past. Mostly because, for the longest time since they started appearing in robots, urethane flat belts were only available in orange and we were building robots on the campus of a college that feels a certain way about orange. With access to a lathe, pulleys weren't particularly tough to groove.
343 has used said orange belts frequently, we see no problem with color, in fact, we liked it so much that we decided to buy orange plastic for our printer and orange LEDs for looking pretty.

play is the highest form of research-Einstein
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2018, 09:17 PM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to behold

In all seriousness though, 343 has used the round poly-cord belts (which is the same material, different shape) many times for intakes and frequently used PVC pipe with tape or wheel rubber material "flanges" to keep the belts in place. We have yet to have major tension or slipping problems but we do usually mount one end on a slide (similar to what you would do for a chain) to make it easy to tension and usually for an intake getting it as tight as you can by hand is more than enough. We usually want the belt to slip before the motor stalls if there is something caught in the intake.

Side note: I have not paid enough attention to notice if someone from 5172 Gators has posted here but I know they have a great affinity for this stuff.

play is the highest form of research-Einstein
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargus111111111 View Post
In all seriousness though, 343 has used the round poly-cord belts (which is the same material, different shape) many times for intakes and frequently used PVC pipe with tape or wheel rubber material "flanges" to keep the belts in place. We have yet to have major tension or slipping problems but we do usually mount one end on a slide (similar to what you would do for a chain) to make it easy to tension and usually for an intake getting it as tight as you can by hand is more than enough. We usually want the belt to slip before the motor stalls if there is something caught in the intake.

Side note: I have not paid enough attention to notice if someone from 5172 Gators has posted here but I know they have a great affinity for this stuff.
How do you adapt the PVC to a shaft or the motor or something?
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Sitting behind a Toughbook
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the H.E.R.D.)

Rookie Year: 2012
frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
My team in high school always 3D printed a cap and epoxied it inside the end of the tube. Worked well and you can fit almost any shaft style that way.

Team 5940: 2015-2018 | Team 190: 2018-present

Volunteer: 2016-present

Event Travel Spreadsheet
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcguy View Post
My team in high school always 3D printed a cap and epoxied it inside the end of the tube. Worked well and you can fit almost any shaft style that way.
Back in the day we used to take blocks of Delrin and throw them on a lathe and make our own caps for this sort of thing, 3D printers have made that a lot easier.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Red is fast
AKA: Matthew
no team (Off for two years. I'll be back)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
BumblingBuilder is a name known to allBumblingBuilder is a name known to allBumblingBuilder is a name known to allBumblingBuilder is a name known to allBumblingBuilder is a name known to allBumblingBuilder is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSV View Post
How about something like this?

http://www.grifiti.com/band-joes.html

One of our FTC teams used it a couple of years ago for transferring plastic balls to a shooter (but ended up using surgical tubing because they needed a little more thickness). They seemed pretty strong.
My team used silicone rubber bands for our 2017 gear conveyor system, and they worked great. We were originally going to use the flat poly belts, but they weren't gripping on the gear like we wanted.

Just as a warning, they do snap, and we found no effective way to patch them. Between our practice and competition robots, we probably broke around 10 bands, and a lot more on prototypes. But other than that I really did like these belts. If you do use any type of band, just make sure to make them easily accessible as to replace them in the event they snap.

Last edited by BumblingBuilder : 08-17-2018 at 02:01 PM.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:14 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

Figured I should drop this here. We do have a good method for flat belt welding that I need to get video of, it's pretty simple.

https://youtu.be/fYKsIe-yMrA

Enjoy!

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1.25" OD x 0.065" wall aluminum tubes are *really* close to fitting over a Vex versahub and/or 1/2" hex bearing. Take a little sandpaper to the ID and you'll be able to press one in. Then you can run run a hex shaft through the middle and drive it however you like.

Alternatively this which is close to the same thing, or 3D printing if the torque is low.

Last edited by nuclearnerd : 08-17-2018 at 02:49 PM.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:33 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
1.125" OD x 0.065" wall aluminum tubes are *really* close to fitting over a Vex versahub and/or 1/2" hex bearing. Take a little sandpaper to the ID and you'll be able to press one in. Then you can run run a hex shaft through the middle and drive it however you like.

Alternatively this which is close to the same thing, or 3D printing if the torque is low.
Do you mean 1.25" OD? (would be just under 1.125" ID)
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:

PVC end caps can be adapted to either accept a shaft directly (via hex broach or keyway broach) for light load applications or to have a bolt circle for an AndyMark or Vex hub (or even a direct sprocket mount). The latter option is particularly easy if you have a rotary table, but can also be done by match drilling if you are careful about piloting the hub into the center (preferably drilling the center hole with a lathe).

That being said, we haven't built a PVC roller system in several years, so our previous design metholodoly is a bit outdated compared to what we'd do if we were to build one in 2019 (likely 3D print).
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Do you mean 1.25" OD? (would be just under 1.125" ID)
whoops, yep. Fixed.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
PVC end caps can be adapted to either accept a shaft directly (via hex broach or keyway broach) for light load applications or to have a bolt circle for an AndyMark or Vex hub (or even a direct sprocket mount). The latter option is particularly easy if you have a rotary table, but can also be done by match drilling if you are careful about piloting the hub into the center (preferably drilling the center hole with a lathe).

That being said, we haven't built a PVC roller system in several years, so our previous design metholodoly is a bit outdated compared to what we'd do if we were to build one in 2019 (likely 3D print).
Back in our no-money days we did exactly what you suggested. The first time we drilled it on our drill press and installed a hub - and a year or two later we hex broached them. We also used oil-lite bushings in them from mcmaster quite successfully when we wanted idlers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: