OCCRA
Go to Post Don't waste the opportunity because you were too focused on "winning" the championship. - Don Wright [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
What Would You Say To The Newer Members Of CD - 2nd Edition

Hello all:

There has been an increase in posts, threads, membership over the past few weeks in CD and it will continue for a while. Last June, Ken Leung started a thread like this:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47752

I thought it might be helpful for us to read some of the posts in this thread and to add to in this new thread. Ken's was created during Off-Season so I thought it might be better to start a new one.

Please do take the time to read some of the posts in the thread, they are filled with thought and wisdom regarding how we can best offer information, advice, and present our views. What would you like to say to help the newer members?
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 05:43 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Would You Say To The Newer Members Of CD - 2nd Edition

I'm going to say the same thing as I did last time, but I'm also going to add a few things.

What I said last time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I've been thinking about this a bit myself, and came up with a list:

Watch spelling, grammar, and leet. Having the occasional misspelling, particularly on a hard word, is fine, but it's a lot easier to read a post if you don't have to deal with spelling and grammar issues. There is a spell check, which can help you with a lot of these issues. Leet can make a post unreadable without a translator. Dave Lavery has a quote in Spotlights that goes something to the effect of "bad grammar, spelling mistakes, and leet are not professional". (This is not a direct quote, as I don't remember the exact wording and Dave can write things like this better than me.)

On posting questions in the right place: first, do a search to figure out where similar threads are placed. This will also help you determine if there is an active thread addressing the topic (particularly in some forums, such as Rules/Strategy), and help deflect the dreaded "search before you post!". Second, look at the forum list (click the CD icon in the top left) and see which forum is the appropriate one, then see if it has subforums that are even more appropriate. Figure out where it needs to go, and then start the thread. If there are two places or more, put it in what you think is the most appropriate.

Answering questions the right way: First off, read the entire thread. You may gain insight into what others think on the matter. Second, think about your response. Third, be respectful. Nobody wants to see "I think your idea is stupid, don't do it!" when all they want to know is if a new drive idea is likely to work, even if it is a bad idea. A better way to respond to this situation is "I'm not sure this would work because XX and YY. Have you considered option ZZ?" or "It might work, however, you might consider AA." This is known as constructive criticism, and is a much better way. Fourth, preview the post to see what it will look like. The post composition window is not all that big! Fifth, don't just say something like "yeah, what he said!" Try to offer a different view, if possible.
Now, these are ways to help newer members avoid people complaining. This does not mean that they should be ignored! Instead, it may make the difference in the impression a first-timer makes.

New material:
Be yourself! Let us know a bit about you through what and how you post.

Be clear. If we can't understand what you are asking, we don't stand a chance of helping you. If we can understand, we may or may not be able to help, depending on what you ask. (We here is collective--many may not know about the nuances of C. Others may not know what 80-20 aluminum is, but can tell you all about C.)

If someone suggests a way to improve, follow it. If you can't understand why the suggestion is made, private message (PM) that person and ask for clarification, and I'm sure he or she will be happy to explain.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

The one thing i would say is this

Don't ever take anything Dave Lavery says seriously he is just playing with your minds

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Big Mike" View Post

Don't ever take anything Dave Lavery says seriously he is just playing with your minds

Are you kidding me? I know for a fact that last night when he was talking about the balloons that he was telling the truth...

Main thing newbies? DON'T GET INTIMIDATED! Honestly, we're not that scary. Remember that you are not just representing your team, you're also representing yourself. Be concious and aware to speak and act in ways that will reflect well on your team.

But honestly, this program is here for fun guys, so have fun with it! Get into it and learn as much as you can! If I can learn about how a motor makes a wheel move, trust me, FIRST can teach anyone anything.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in AFJROTC back in high school, the instructor would occasionally tell students to "speak clearly and distinctly." I'd apply the same wisdom here; the more details you can give clearly, the more likely you are to successfully get help. Generally, that involves a paragraph or two; one-line questions generally will result in some easy questions before we can get to the real core of the question.

(oh, and don't bump posts)

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 08:29 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the "add to reputation" feature with discretion. If the post makes a new, good point, go ahead and give a positive rep. If you do not agree with an opinion, do not give negative reps.

Be wary of flames, and recognize them for what they are.

Last, Search before you start a new thread. Chances are someone has already asked your question, and there will be answers in that old, dead thread.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 10:29 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Once build starts--

Read the manual.

Maybe even read it a second time. Hit ctrl-f and search the pdf file for a keyword pertaining to your question. Odds are it's already in there.

If you don't do the above, expect people to tell you to read the darn manual when you ask what the diameter of a poof ball is, or how tall your robot can be.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Big Mike" View Post

I really like Big Mike.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Setting Big Mike's comments aside (and if you have to think about the above post for more than four seconds, there is a problem), this entire thread should be required reading for every new user.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efoote868 View Post
Use the "add to reputation" feature with discretion. If the post makes a new, good point, go ahead and give a positive rep. If you do not agree with an opinion, do not give negative reps.

Be wary of flames, and recognize them for what they are.
In the same vein, don't take your reputation score too seriously. I sometimes see new folks with very few posts have significant negative rep. Usually it is because their wording of a post strikes others as being presented in a negative or discouraging tone. Don't leave CD if you feel that you were only misunderstood. Stay here and discuss your post (non-argumentatively) to see how it was misunderstood. If your intention is to be a respected contributing member of these forums, your positive rep will quickly overshadow your negative rep.

We have had many discussions, especially during the playing season, where diverging viewpoints are presented. Sometimes we come to agreement, sometimes not, but we strive to maintain personal respect for each other while we present our views. It is proper to have a disagreement, but it is improper to be disrespectful.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0469

Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Setting Big Mike's comments aside (and if you have to think about the above post for more than four seconds, there is a problem), this entire thread should be required reading for every new user.

-dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
I really like Big Mike.

-dave
Press edit before you post a second time in within a matter of 24 hours. This keeps the threads a little bit cleaner.

Listen to Big Mike when he talks about Dave too!

Smilies are fun but they do get a little annoying! Just don't put too many of them in one post.

EDIT:There is a five smilies limit. :sad smilie:
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know that, thank you Eric!

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Ridiculously proud of MN First
AKA: Nat Thompson
FRC #1816 (The Green Machine)

Rookie Year: 2006
BBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to beholdBBnum3 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to BBnum3

This has been said before but: Double check and read over your post before you send it so that it means exactly what you want it to. From personal experience I know that this is extremely important.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

In my Meteorology class today, we were talking about seasonal patterns worldwide, some places get no rain for 9 months of the year, and then the rain doesn't seem to stop for the other 3 months. It's the same thing in FIRST, and on Chiefdelphi too, except we get "rain" almost all year long, the "floods" only come for a few months. Anyway, welcome new members, it's an unwritten rule here that you act the way you want to be treated, act the way you would while working on the robot, and thirdly, have fun.
Remember, it's just a game
Don't take first too seriously, remember you must be a student to be on the team (mentors are there to help and teach). So make sure you work as hard at your school work as you do on your robot (it'll pay off, big time).

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question (some are just better than others).

When the Time comes, don't forget to RTFM (Read The First Manual)

It's time for me to go out and dance in the rain, have fun.

ps- Their just dots.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan View Post
When the Time comes, don't forget to RTFM (Read The First Manual)
I thought it was read the FULL manual--as in cover to cover, multiple times, by the end of Week 1, and review for the next 5 weeks...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: